Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4653 (bias skirt)

Reviewed by:AnneM

About AnneMstarstar
Member since: 7/30/02
Posted on:4/23/06 9:17 PM
Last Updated:4/23/06 9:33 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
*Jessica* said... (10/20/06 8:43 PM) Reply
lovely. all your creations are so well made :)
Em's Summer said... (4/25/06 2:52 PM) Reply
I totally understand your comment about elastic waists, but it is a very pretty skirt. It drapes so beautifully!
hongkongshopper said... (4/24/06 7:18 PM) Reply
Anne, it looks great with the top out! No hint of an elastic waist.
GorgeousFabrics said... (4/24/06 5:34 PM) Reply
That is such a pretty skirt. Even with the elastic waist it looks fantastic on you! -Ann
PhyllisC said... (4/24/06 5:05 PM) Reply
Anne, this is really beautiful - a perfect marriag of pattern and fabric! I *love* the way it drapes.
LiZ said... (4/24/06 4:17 PM) Reply
Lovely skirt and the fabric print is gorgeous.
wvsher said... (4/24/06 2:43 PM) Reply
Very pretty skirt that looks great on you!
milwaukee_kelly said... (4/24/06 11:35 AM) Reply
That's so pretty Anne!
AnneM said... (4/24/06 10:15 AM) Reply
Thanks, everyone. There are "drag lines" that don't show up very well in the picture - or in real life, for that matter, with the dark fabric. Plus being worn below the waist helps. I really like the style, so if I get adventurous I might convert it to a zippered waist by tapering & darting the top. But there are so many patterns, so little time!
Debbie Cook said... (4/24/06 8:22 AM) Reply
Pretty skirt on you, Anne! The cut is very flattering. You've been sewing up a storm lately.
2BSewing said... (4/24/06 8:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful skirt and it drapes wonderfully! Fabulous fit on you. Love the fabric you chose. Thanks for detailed review and pictures. :)
CarolynGM said... (4/24/06 6:52 AM) Reply
The bias cut hangs beautifully, and it is a perfect length on you. I know what you mean about elastic waists though. Still, this one doesn't appear to bunch at all so your elastic sandwich must have helped.
Vonnevo said... (4/24/06 4:12 AM) Reply
Beautiful Anne :)
FeyFaerie said... (4/24/06 1:57 AM) Reply
I bought this same pattern last summer! I have not been very enthusiastic about making it, though - due to the "elastic waist", as you mentioned in your GREAT review. The skirt looks fantastic on you. However, after reading you review, and considering how petite and short waisted I am, I think I will pass on this pattern. Don't get me wrong - your skirt looks very cute, and your lining solution is ingenious! But... I've been thinking about that "elastic waist" - and I highly agree with your summation about those! Thank you so much for the great review!
Sherril Miller said... (4/24/06 1:42 AM) Reply
A very flatering skirt, Anne. No reason you couldn't sew it onto a waistband and add a zipper.
CSM--Carla said... (4/24/06 1:19 AM) Reply
Anne, this is darling on you. Love your fabric! Thanks for the bias tip!
AngieC said... (4/23/06 11:48 PM) Reply
I love your skirt and the fabric! It came out better than the pattern envelope! Great review-thanks for sharing.
Jennifer shaw said... (4/23/06 11:23 PM) Reply
Your skirt is very, very pretty Anne. It looks great on you!
carolynw said... (4/23/06 11:00 PM) Reply
Beautiful. I have yet to tackle bias with any great confidence - your outfit makes me thing I can - I should!!
Lynngray said... (4/23/06 10:43 PM) Reply
Nice skirt looks great on you. Also great review.
MaryBeth said... (4/23/06 9:55 PM) Reply
I love the drape of this skirt! It's so pretty on you. Perfect!
touran said... (4/23/06 9:18 PM) Reply
Very, very pretty outfit. Sometimes the fabrics are right to sneak in as they do. The skirt is lovely.

Sewing Workshop West End Top & Pants