Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5002 (Swing Skirt)

Reviewed by:VtMartha

About VtMarthastar
VT USA
Member since: 11/17/03
Posted on:4/26/06 10:56 AM
Last Updated:4/26/06 11:14 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts
EleanorMcCarthy said... (11/15/06 3:35 PM) Reply
My goodness! This is such a funy story. Something ALWAYS goes wrong at every wedding, no matter what. It must be a rule, or something. I almost missed mine entirely. I'm glad that you were able to recover with good humour and results. :) I didn't know that RPL grows like this. I have never sewn it. I was planing to buy some and try it out in a T-shirt. I will remember this problem and solutions for dealing with it. Thanks for the entertaining help.
Wilbur said... (9/14/06 3:22 PM) Reply
It's a book.
QuiltsShoots&Leaves said... (9/8/06 11:57 PM) Reply
What a great story! I admire your resourcefulness and your nothing-can-spoil-my-day attitude.
AnneM said... (4/28/06 11:08 AM) Reply
Oh my, what a story; it sounds like you made a great recovery. I haven't used this fabric, but it sounds like it needs to start life as a SHORT skirt. (Also loved your shoe comments.)
Everyday Sewist said... (4/28/06 9:20 AM) Reply
What a lovely outfit, and a great story too! (LOL!)
CatherineN said... (4/27/06 1:29 PM) Reply
Wonderful story and wonderful results. Snooty is so boring and you made down-to-earth so attractive.
Liana said... (4/27/06 9:46 AM) Reply
What a great outfit, and WHAT a great story! You'll dine out on that one! Good job, it looks lovely.
countrybug said... (4/27/06 8:19 AM) Reply
Loved the review! Laugh, laugh, laugh. Loved your reference to Merrills since I live in Northern Maine and have a lot of those shoes. Lovely outfit. Let us know how you solve your dilemma. I also understand the younger daughter "dressing" you, I have three of them and an opinionated son!
CarolynGM said... (4/27/06 6:56 AM) Reply
Great way to start the day -- laughing over your review as I sip my first cup of coffee of the morning. I agree with fuzzygalore -- wash and dry repeatedly, hang, then cut it off to the desired length.
fuzzygalore said... (4/27/06 2:07 AM) Reply
Aren't you -lucky- you didn't decide on a fitted waist :-)... This story is the best argument for an elastic waist I've ever seen. But to get to the point, if I were you I'd stop treating this as a fragile fabric. Run it through the washer as if it was a towel. Throw it into a hot dryer. Try on again. Rayon will shrink dramatically through at least 2 washes, and even more so with heat. Rayon knit will grow and grow... so you really have to stop that tendency!

Next time you use a fabric that's so unstable, first pre-wash madly, then hang it for at least 24 hrs, with clips, from a hanger. Only then can you attempt cutting, when it's stretched out at its maximum. I'm sure you've heard of not doing a hem till a bias-cut garment has hung like this - same principle, using gravity up front. It works better to hang first, then cut, then hang again, and only finally hem.

Congratulations on making it through unscathed through what sounds like a major culture-shock event :-). May your feet recover soon...

Mufffet said... (4/26/06 10:13 PM) Reply
The outfit is lovely really. I love the jacket in the photo!
VtMartha said... (4/26/06 1:27 PM) Reply
Mamacita - I loved your remarks. My middle daughter, the maid of honor, lives in Albuquerque! Your skirt sounds wonderful. I might try that one next time I'm 'out of britches'.
mamacita said... (4/26/06 1:21 PM) Reply
Oh my goodness! My DD lives in DC and is getting married end of June and I have decided to make the swing skirt for my outfit...with a shell top. I really laughed at your review. My DD is a horse woman and is rarely out of britches...she is opting not to wear a wedding dress...but not britches...LOL I hope my outfit turns out as well as yours. I am going to make a wearable muslin so I can check the skirt length ahead of time...I will make the real one out of two layers of chiffon...but only the top layer will have the ruffle...wish me luck...and thanks for the inspiration!!!!!
Elemenopeo said... (4/26/06 1:03 PM) Reply
Hee hee. You tell a good story and have a good attitude about it all!
Ruth C said... (4/26/06 11:46 AM) Reply
Lovely outfit and great story! I think the length problem is because it is a rayon knit--they stretch under their own weight. I've been told to let a skirt or dress made from such a knit to hang on a hanger for several days before heming it so that it will get it's stretching done.
bunz said... (4/26/06 11:43 AM) Reply
OMG, I can't stop laughing!! Not only do I share your figure, but also have a skirt/dress that I've decided to cut down from the waist. And that's what I would suggest for you. It'll never be a REAL dress -- I think if you move the waist down and store it folded in a drawer (and maybe dry it that way, too), you'll be OK.
Ceri590 said... (4/26/06 11:20 AM) Reply
Very funny review! Good to have such a "versatile" piece of clothing (-:

by: Kiwi Natio...

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)