Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5781 (Palmer/Pletch 3-hour Shirt)

Reviewed by:Tina Rathbone

About Tina Rathbonestar
Member since: 9/16/02
Posted on:10/11/02 7:40 PM
Last Updated:10/11/02 7:43 PM

Stitching Mouse said... (7/3/11 9:22 PM) Reply
I am working on this one right now... hopefully I'll get my sleeve under control...
Jay Cadiramen said... (7/27/03 9:09 PM) Reply
Great review, thanks Tina. I just tried one of the newer '3-hour shirts' and found it took me more like six hours, but I was happy with the result. I'll get on top of all those patterns I've got just waiting to be reviewed soon! (Sigh)
Hells Bells said... (7/9/03 7:58 AM) Reply
I feel inspired!
mrs quickly said... (4/13/03 5:25 PM) Reply
Love the shirts! I sew funky shirts for my husband too. He loves that they're one of a kind and never hesitates to brag that his wife made it! He's been bugging me for more so I thought I'd seek out a new pattern, one with a narrow facing more like ready to wear. I have this pattern but haven't used it. I'll check it out along with KS 2935. I can't resist fun fabrics so I have quite the stash. I could sew an entire summer wardrobe for DH if I only had the time...
said... (10/30/02 11:41 PM) Reply
I liked seeing the results and details in the photos. Especially enjoyed the tips and references.
said... (10/14/02 3:44 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the great feedback! Nan, I'd love to see the Islander video on collars. I might be able to view one at my local Continuing Ed. sewing class. Coffin's book is good, but he overly complicates some steps IMHO. Islander's legendary! Isn't it fun sewing for guys? No major weight fluctuations to deal with (compared to sewing for oneself). :)
said... (10/12/02 5:35 PM) Reply
Tina, Wow! What great shirts. The kangaroos are my favorite.
said... (10/12/02 9:32 AM) Reply
It's obvious that your husband loves his shirts! I'm sure he appreciates your efforts.
said... (10/12/02 1:33 AM) Reply
Your project photos are so lively and creative. And your husband is lucky to have such an interesting collection of shirts so carefully made.
said... (10/11/02 11:26 PM) Reply
Great looking shirts, Tina! I swear by Margaret Islander's shirt techniques (on her video); esp for a banded collar. Just another source for good techniques, though you obviously have it licked Tina. Nan
said... (10/11/02 10:01 PM) Reply
Nice shirts, Tina! Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures. I have this pattern and another old one with the same title. That makes 3 Palmer/Pletch 3-hour Shirt patterns! Good pattern, thanks for the review.
said... (10/11/02 9:50 PM) Reply
Tina, great shirts! My husband got into those kinds of cool prints when we lived in SoCal--now we live in CT, so his large collection of aloha shirts is less well appreciated. I particularly like the aboriginal print. Very striking.
said... (10/11/02 9:12 PM) Reply
Thanks, Carrie, Mini and Diana! LOL, Diana! You should see the bizarre "orchids and olives" fabric he's got waiting in the wings. Lucky we live in So. Cal! :)
said... (10/11/02 8:37 PM) Reply
Awesome shirts! They're beautifully made, and can I say ... I love a guy who can wear lobsters and kangaroos with pride. :) I have this pattern in my stash, and now I'm really motivated to try it out, though I will have to make it in a boring pinstripe for DH. ;)
said... (10/11/02 8:14 PM) Reply
WOW!!!! Those shirts are great! I use a similar Kwik Sew pattern to make men's campshirts, but I may try this one too. I have used P&P's 3-Hour patterns for women's blouses. Nice patterns, but there's no way I could do one in 3 hours:).
said... (10/11/02 8:14 PM) Reply
Wow, Tina! I love each and every one of those. I'm looking longingly at your collars as I'm currently suffering through a P&P blouse with a difficult collar application (although warned about here on PR). Your work looks so professional, yet it sounds like you are still learning/experimenting with your tip on buttonholes. Good job!

Ottobre Design Magazine 03-2013-12