Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4695 (Men's Renaissance Doublets)

Reviewed by:Karen6790

About Karen6790starstarstarstar
PA USA
Member since: 3/2/06
Posted on:5/4/06 2:46 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Reluctant Pirate said... (9/9/11 1:39 AM) Reply
My husband and I have made variations from this pattern for years. Even though we're careful with the sleeves will still end up with at least one sleeve donut during the turning process. I guess it's not a sewing project if I don't spend an hour pulling stitches. This last iteration was made extremely form fitting and I'm very happy with it. To make it a bit more period correct we drafted out the darts on the front and back pieces and hand bound eyelets for the sleeve shoulder ties and front closure. It's good to know that other people have had success with this pattern as well.
Joey in Katy said... (3/8/08 3:05 PM) Reply
Grateful for your experiences regarding the fit -- am getting ready to make this same pattern. Have some really neat fabric (but expensive!), but I'll probably do some muslins first just to make sure. Your comments make me think I'll cut it a little wide.
wvsher said... (5/4/06 1:03 PM) Reply
Great theater shirt!
Annika said... (5/4/06 12:31 PM) Reply
Great job on such a limited budget. Nice looking dressmaker's dummy, too! The doublet actually sews up much better than I thought it would - I have this pattern and was a little afraid to try it out. Thanks for the review!
Karen6790 said... (5/4/06 9:59 AM) Reply
When the costumer handed me the lame I almost turned and ran, but then she handed me a pack of needles for metallic fabric. I always remember special needles after I've messed something up, so this was enlightening - they really made a huge difference. No picking, no pulls in the fabric. But I'm very glad to be handing it over today.
Tiner W said... (5/4/06 9:16 AM) Reply
How fun is that? I'm thinking that lame would be a bear to sew this with! It's a good-looking costume!
Portia Hirschman said... (5/4/06 9:13 AM) Reply
Thank you so much, Karen, for reviewing this pattern. My husband joined a Chorale and I have to make him a madrigal costume for the Christmas production to wear year after year. I just purchased this pattern and wondered how it would fit. Good to know that the fit is "close". I too purchased the pattern up to 40 and it may be too small. sigh... Guess that 60+ year old belly is going to have to be accomodated! I was hoping to avoid side grommets with laced ties but with your review, I expect I'll have to bite the bullet! He has already purchased beautiful cotton velveteen for the pieces and has visions of splendor. He is also wanting the edges piped. We'll see! I used McCalls 4864 for the pants and had to go down a size because of the ease. Thank goodness for time and muslins. Live and learn.

by: regal80

Margo Handbag Paper Pattern

Margo Handbag Paper Pattern

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)

Jamie Christina Honey Girl Dress and Top Pattern (JC304HG)