Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 9771 (top)

Reviewed by:julesberry

About julesberrystarstar
Member since: 12/6/05
Posted on:5/14/06 5:41 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
Parco said... (9/7/09 9:28 PM) Reply
Nice review! I really like the colors of your outfit.
LBJ said... (5/15/06 5:09 PM) Reply
Lovely outfit!
AnneM said... (5/15/06 8:04 AM) Reply
I love your description of the pattern. You ended up with a nice top, even if it was more work than expected. I have some duppioni waiting to be made into a top & skirt, so this is great information for me.
Danvillegirl said... (5/15/06 5:16 AM) Reply
I think it is the fabric. I made a top from silk duppioni and it was very tight when I got through with it. I had made the top before in another fabric and the fit was okay. You made a good save of the top and I think it looks good.
julesberry said... (5/15/06 0:04 AM) Reply
Thanks for the comments, and education. Cowl sounds a bit scary - like growl - like a lion's mane perhaps. As for the facings, it was more the armholes and the back neckline that I felt had to be stitched down. I was a bit cautious before making this top in silk dupioni, but because another reviewr (CycleGal) had already done it I thought it would be OK! Taken from her review, " Reccomended fabrics: silk like crepe, charmeuse and silk like jacquard". Now if only I had a clue what any of those were like... perhaps I should order a load of swatches from somewhere! Anyone happen to have a suggestion for what other pattern I might try to go with my skirt?
wvsher said... (5/14/06 3:38 PM) Reply
The top turned out nice, and it looks very nice with your skirt. Good job!
Elona said... (5/14/06 11:43 AM) Reply
Wow, you got that duppioni to behave really well, all things considered! It's a pretty and unusual top, but the pattern illustration does seem to show intrinsically drapy materials like crepe de chine and so on. Kudos to you for your efforts, because they really did pay off. And your hair only got a bit grey from all the work, right?
Sue Anfang said... (5/14/06 10:27 AM) Reply
Pretty top!. Probably a lot of problems were caused by the fabric. Duppioni is a really stiff fabric for this type of top, something cut like this needs some drape. Not sure what the fabric recommendation on the pattern says, but my guess is crepe, georgette, chiffon, etc.
kiddo said... (5/14/06 10:07 AM) Reply
Beautiful job! The necline is a cowl. The facing is typically left free so that the drape is not hampered by a double thickness of fabric that is stitched down.
Patti B said... (5/14/06 9:52 AM) Reply
I agree with your husband -- quite nice axtually!
mollyshark said... (5/14/06 9:20 AM) Reply
Just a thought...most of the big 4 patterns should be purchased by high bust measurement, not by full bust. That takes you down at least one full size if not two in some cases. If you do it this way, the shoulders/bust should be fine and it is generally MUCH easier to narrow down the hip area in a dress than to do anything with the bust at all. Looks good though. Lovely fabric.
julesberry said... (5/14/06 5:44 AM) Reply
Just had a thought - could the sizing issue be caused by using a fabric which doesn't sag much on the bias? Something that did sag more would need to be cut bigger wouldn't it?

Burda 8860