Pattern Reviews> Other> Hollywood 606 (Vintage Dress from 1941)

Reviewed by:Leslie in Austin

About Leslie in Austinstarstarstarstar
TX USA
Member since: 1/30/03
Posted on:5/14/06 11:21 AM
Last Updated:5/14/06 12:06 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

Marji said... (5/30/07 9:43 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress and wonderful review. Thanks for the heads up on the master class article too. Did you ever get the dress back to fondle? or get Prom night pics?
Leora said... (5/25/06 2:57 PM) Reply
She looks so good in that color. Beautiful dress!
Katharine in BXL said... (5/22/06 7:42 AM) Reply
Needle & thread benefactress, what a lovely gown. The color is perfect too.
kwpanthermom said... (5/16/06 9:06 AM) Reply
The color is perfect for her, and the shoes are a fun accessory. Don't you just love "building" a dress using nearly-forgotten details and techniques that our foresewers did as a matter of course? Your project is a beautiful testatment to time, patience, and attention to that detail creating a work of art.
blue mooney said... (5/15/06 1:51 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, Leslie - and lucky, lucky prom girl! She looks fabulous in that color. Thanks for the detailed review, too!
Barbara at Cat Fur Studio said... (5/15/06 11:27 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! What a lucky girl she is to get the benefit of your talent and hard work.
PVA said... (5/15/06 11:17 AM) Reply
It's all been said, so I'll just say Wow-Wow-Whee! This is one beautiful dress & you are one wonderful person! Thanks so much for the review.
JDpenelope said... (5/15/06 11:03 AM) Reply
It's all been said. I can only wonder and ask how you will top this -- both the review and the project. Leslie, you deserve a good rest, now.
xela said... (5/15/06 10:29 AM) Reply
Fabulous review! Thanks for all the tips.
milwaukee_kelly said... (5/15/06 10:15 AM) Reply
Leslie, take a bow, please! All I could think when reading this was... how hard to let it go. Good thing you can bring it back "home" for a while to admire. It's spectacular.
Sew it seams said... (5/15/06 10:04 AM) Reply
Wow Leslie, you did a beautiful job and it was fun following your progress. I just love the vintage patterns. Great review!
Georgene said... (5/15/06 9:06 AM) Reply
Zowie! - it came out great. Hard not to be attached to something you put that much effort into - ask me how I know!
AnneM said... (5/15/06 8:00 AM) Reply
Great to hear that the dress came out well. The color is great on her, as you suspected. Look forward to the spiffed-up picture (make certain she gets one to you! ).
Jane S said... (5/15/06 7:33 AM) Reply
What a fabulous result. The dress is beautiful and your spirit of creativity and generosity is an inspiration.
mClones said... (5/15/06 7:05 AM) Reply
What a whirlwind! I'm out of breath reading about it. Great job, Leslie..and thanks for reminding me about that Hong Kong finish.
2BSewing said... (5/15/06 6:58 AM) Reply
Leslie, you did a wonderful job with this dress. It's beautiful. I always enjoy reading your reviews. Keep up the awesome work you're doing. :)
Danvillegirl said... (5/15/06 5:24 AM) Reply
You did a fantastic job! Great review!
Peggy L said... (5/15/06 4:57 AM) Reply
Wow!! Leslie, this turned out absolutely fabulous. The color and fit is beautiful. What a sewing adventure. You are definitely "Auntie of the Year".
Sharon Smith said... (5/14/06 10:38 PM) Reply
Didn't care for the dress as it appeared in the artists sketch on pattern, but you made it look like ultimate haute couture. And how wonderfully refreshing that a young girl would choose to go to a prom in a modest dress, beautiful though it may be in that gorgeous dupioni, rather than barely covered and hanging out all over. Reading your review is like a meaty tutorial - so much to learn from it. Thanks for being marvelous you.
Schnauzer said... (5/14/06 10:35 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous dress! Well done Auntie Leslie!
Jennifer shaw said... (5/14/06 8:49 PM) Reply
Fantastic job on the lovely couture prom dress, Leslie!! I hope that she has a wonderful time at her prom in her gorgeous new frock!! Thanks for the wonderful review.
Elona said... (5/14/06 8:46 PM) Reply
Leslie, this is just too cute! Really adorable, and beautifully done! You are a saint.
Debbie Cook said... (5/14/06 7:35 PM) Reply
You are definitely Auntie of The Year!! Great job on the dress and making a girl's prom a perfect day!
ClaireC said... (5/14/06 7:13 PM) Reply
Leslie, the dress came out stunning. Your review was fantastic. You definitely share the extra points with DH for making this dress. In fact you get a crown. Kudos!!!
Kris O said... (5/14/06 7:00 PM) Reply
What a great job, Leslie. Thanks for the review and the posture lecture. I sat up straighter just reading your review!
MaryBeth said... (5/14/06 6:48 PM) Reply
It's sad you had to let this one go unperfected, but Leslie, It's darling and fits so well. Congratulations on a job well done
BeckyC said... (5/14/06 6:41 PM) Reply
Leslie, This dress is beautiful! This is one Lucky prom girl! A couture dress for prom night - Wow! I hope she appreciates it. BTW the sweetheart neckline, bodice and sleeves remind me very much of my Mom's wedding dress from the 40's. Thank you for the great review and adventure.
PegL said... (5/14/06 6:16 PM) Reply
The dress is gorgeous and the review is excellent! You have to be the most generous and giving person I've heard of in a long time! That young lady is very lucky!! I can't resist adding...while you're lecturing her on posture, could you teach her how to stand in heels? LOL
jemgirlca said... (5/14/06 5:39 PM) Reply
Leslie, it turned out beautiful! You are a really good aunt, too!!
Lori V said... (5/14/06 4:48 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress and what a wonderful thing to do for your dn's friend.
PhyllisC said... (5/14/06 3:37 PM) Reply
Oh yes - this is pure 40's all the way: the flared skirt, sweetheart neckline. Pretty without being gooey - wonderful!
StitchQueen101 said... (5/14/06 3:09 PM) Reply
Hi Leslie, Great review! I know exactly what you mean about fondling and admiring it before giving it up. I've been in that position before. Wow - it's great though! You did an awesome job. I'm currently working on a vintage fashion for vogue. If I post it you'll know I got it done before Friday -- my deadline for DD. I'm sure I'll be in the 1 hour prayer before the event too. Seems to work that way often for me. PS I love that fabric.
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/14/06 2:05 PM) Reply
Oh Leslie, that turned out fantastic!!!! I love the color. I have some of the same color Douppioni in my stash, and the buttons are to die for. I think I'm turning into my mother, when I first saw the picture of DN's friend, I wanted to say, "Stand up straight!" :D -Ann (PS - I think this would look totally FAB on you, with your hair pinned up a la 1940s, you'd be all set to go swing dancing!)
meanjean said... (5/14/06 1:50 PM) Reply
Beautiful! The dress is very flattering to the young lady. I just love the detail in the design of the dress. I've never made up a vintage pattern, but it sounds like it was a fun experience.
Stitchology said... (5/14/06 1:39 PM) Reply
What a review! Will you be submitting it as a dissertation?
Mary Stiefer said... (5/14/06 1:37 PM) Reply
What a great looking dress and the color compliments her coloring. What a nice lady to do this much work for your dear niece.
CarolynGM said... (5/14/06 1:35 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous pattern in a stunning color that looks just perfect for the prom girl's coloring. What a tale of adventure though in getting it all completed. Love that Hong Kong underlining tip -- I want to try it.
Linda E. said... (5/14/06 1:06 PM) Reply
Great review.. lovely dress you are a wonderful person..
casken said... (5/14/06 12:38 PM) Reply
What a great review!
Patti B said... (5/14/06 11:49 AM) Reply
Leslie, what a wonderful story and a great sewing adventure! You are a generous spirit.
Kay Romo said... (5/14/06 11:37 AM) Reply
What a wonderful spirit of giving!

by: valerie se...