Pattern Reviews> Burda> 2974 (Jacket & Dress)

Reviewed by:MickeyFan

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 20 people

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

AnneM said... (6/4/06 9:18 AM) Reply
That looks beautiful. Great outfit.
Danvillegirl said... (5/21/06 7:43 AM) Reply
Your dress and jacket are lovely. Great combination of pattern and fabric.
Schnauzer said... (5/21/06 2:20 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous!
Katharine in BXL said... (5/20/06 11:07 PM) Reply
Burda should hire you as a stylist :) Aren't we all looking for a close on top but full on bottom summer dress?
drsue said... (5/20/06 11:05 PM) Reply
Such a lovely pattern, just wish it started in a smaller size than a 10 (sigh.) Beautiful job.
MickeyFan said... (5/20/06 4:54 PM) Reply
Thank you everyone for your compliments. Milwaukee Kelly, I like your description of the triangular insert better than mine. It is like a reverse dart. Maybe "gusset" is the right word. On a plain fabric, it may serve as an interesting seaming detail on an otherwise basic design.
xela said... (5/20/06 1:02 PM) Reply
Bee u ti ful!!! I have this pattern in my stash and have been "gonna" make since last summer. Now that I've seen your dress and jacket I'm going to cut it out right now! Thanks for the great review and inspiration.
Jennifer shaw said... (5/20/06 11:56 AM) Reply
Such a beautiful, beautiful dress and jacket!! Great job!
Lisa Laree said... (5/20/06 9:34 AM) Reply
I got this pattern a couple of years ago and actually was looking at it again last week. Thanks for all the good info in the review! Still dunno when I'll make it, but it's moving up on the list now. ;)
JDpenelope said... (5/20/06 7:22 AM) Reply
Your rendition of this pattern is anything but underwhelming.
PixieCat said... (5/20/06 5:02 AM) Reply
Your dress is gorgeous! Beautiful fabric.
Lori V said... (5/19/06 9:40 PM) Reply
Great looking outfit.
Quesie said... (5/19/06 9:21 PM) Reply
I've covetted this pattern for years, always thought the pictures were HOT, actually. But it is practically the smallest pattern in the Misses catalog... only goes to 16, and I have no idea how to redraft it to a 20. I thought about making it in STRETCH linen and wondered if one could get away with it. But why do they keep a pattern for years in their catalog without resizing it?
Modiste Madness said... (5/19/06 8:52 PM) Reply
This looks wonderful!
jlg said... (5/19/06 7:02 PM) Reply
Ooh, so pretty. I am going to get this pattern immediately.
milwaukee_kelly said... (5/19/06 4:56 PM) Reply
They're both really lovely. I'm intrigued how the triangles above the bust helped with fitting. Is it somewhat the same as a dart only instead of "take up" it's "put in"?
Elemenopeo said... (5/19/06 4:36 PM) Reply
I'm tempted to print out your photos and paste them over the blah envelope. I have meant to make this up for a while. It was shown in a style show at my local Sew Amazing shop and is a wonderful pattern. Maybe I'll work on fitting it in the next muslin class!
Karen6790 said... (5/19/06 4:31 PM) Reply
I would have never guessed the envelope photo could become such a beautiful outfit! Good instincts on your part. And a beautiful patterned fabric.
carolynw said... (5/19/06 3:21 PM) Reply
Both dress and jacket are just lovely - the print is very eye catching and blends so well with the jacket. You have done a wonderful job - again!
cindyann said... (5/19/06 2:52 PM) Reply
I love the fabric combinations. I have long wondered what this pattern would look like made up. It's better than I could have imagined. Your fabric selections really makes all the difference.
Sew it seams said... (5/19/06 2:47 PM) Reply
This is just a beautiful outfit! Wonderful work, as always. I couldn't see the inset abobe the bust, but I'm intrigued so I'm going to take another look. Thanks for this review.
Peggy L said... (5/19/06 2:26 PM) Reply
Beatufiful outfit. Love your fabric choices.
Hilary said... (5/19/06 2:07 PM) Reply
Angela Webb said... (5/19/06 1:59 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! I really admire your workmanship.
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/19/06 1:19 PM) Reply
What a beutiful dress! It's much nicer than the pattern. -Ann
CarolynGM said... (5/19/06 1:15 PM) Reply
What a lovely ensemble. I've never seen anything like those triangular insets over the bust on the dress. Very interesting......
Physics Girl said... (5/19/06 12:46 PM) Reply
Thaks for posting this... I wouldn't have given the pattern another thought... and especially thanks to jewlea for pointing out those double princess seams! maybe this one will go on my wishlist!
ConnieBJ said... (5/19/06 12:31 PM) Reply
Wow - beautiful outfit! I will have to get this pattern!
touran said... (5/19/06 12:25 PM) Reply
This is a stunning outfit. I would never have guessed it from the photo. Beautiful colors and lovely work. Thanks for reviewing it.
yarnivore said... (5/19/06 12:21 PM) Reply
Terrific work! These are both gorgeous.
Seamingly Simple said... (5/19/06 11:55 AM) Reply
I think you've hit on one of the key points about choosing patterns and fabrics: a boring fabric needs a pattern with interesting details, whereas a punchy fabric needs a simple pattern. Your dress is oh-so-lovely.
2BSewing said... (5/19/06 11:38 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful! Love the fabrics you chose for the dress and the jacket. You did a wonderful job.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (5/19/06 11:11 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and jacket, love the fit. Great job!
redhead said... (5/19/06 11:10 AM) Reply
Jewelea, I just pm'd you about the jacket, not realizing that you had posted a comment. I am so glad you found a pattern like this. I may get this one myself.
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (5/19/06 10:51 AM) Reply
I love the jacket too...I think it flatters those of us with tiny waists and a little more sand in the hourglass. I'm putting this one on my wish list. I love the dress too. Great for summer.
Moxie said... (5/19/06 10:46 AM) Reply
I love your fabric choices. The construction looks very professional. Excellent job!
jewelea said... (5/19/06 10:42 AM) Reply
Not only is it a great looking outfit, but the jacket has exactly what I've been looking for ever since I was seduced by a Dana Buchman jacket: double princess seams! You didn't mention how you liked working with these, although the jacket looks beautifully fitted in the photos. Thanks for the review.
Irene Q said... (5/19/06 10:38 AM) Reply
Love the lines on the jacket - great job on both! You're right - the envelope photo is much too blah for such a pretty design - your version is so much better.
wvsher said... (5/19/06 10:34 AM) Reply
Really beautiful dress; great job!
Pattern Work