Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> Shanghai Tunic (Shanghai Tunic)

Reviewed by:milwaukee_kelly

About milwaukee_kellystar
WI USA
Member since: 7/27/05
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:5/21/06 2:40 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 14 people

Nancy K said... (7/30/06 10:04 AM) Reply
I think that you did a great job on this top. it is flattering and certainly a great job . I love the front of this top but the back would bother me too. One reason I haven't gotten this pattern. Anybody have any design changes that would work here?
AnneM said... (6/7/06 11:23 AM) Reply
It looks very good on you. I agree that the tie in the back looks nice, even if you can't sit down with it. :o
milwaukee_kelly said... (5/22/06 11:53 AM) Reply
Ann, I don't think the fit in the shoulder is perfect. It's wrinkly cause I was wearing this all day before I could get DB to take the photo. After reading the armsceye tip I tried it back on. I don't think I would lower it 2", but I think I like higher armholes. But I do feel like I could have some more room at the top part of the shoulder (more room in the shoulder cap?). I do have square shoulders though. Sorry... I'm a beginner, so I don't have a full handle on fitting.
Karen6790 said... (5/22/06 10:35 AM) Reply
Great review, Kelly. I'm in the midst of sewing this top myself, and I keep overthinking the directions and getting bogged down. You did a great job on this and given me the kick that I need to get back to working on it. Thanks for the review.
wvsher said... (5/22/06 10:21 AM) Reply
Very pretty tunic; great job on it. Thanks for the detailed review.
countrybug said... (5/22/06 8:43 AM) Reply
Great job. Dont give up, we learn forever, we never "know it all". The shirt is lovely and looks very nice on. You did a really nice job.
beangirl said... (5/22/06 8:28 AM) Reply
very nice work, it looks great! One thing that might (might) make the tie more comfortable is to tie it looser so the knot hangs lower... it will alter your look though. Great review, thanks!
candyo said... (5/21/06 9:27 PM) Reply
I love it! You're progressing very quickly!
jemgirlca said... (5/21/06 5:24 PM) Reply
I think yours turned out great! It looks very RTW (I mean that as a compliment). Too bad the tie is uncomfortable, it looks fantastic!
FeyFaerie said... (5/21/06 5:07 PM) Reply
Kelley, Great Review! I think your Tunic turned out fantastic!!! I've looked over A LOT of tunic - type patterns over the past couple of years; either the construction is unbelievably complicated, or the pattern looks like a floaty-bag w/sleeves. Great job - I am struggling to learn garment construction on my own (there aren't any classes or 'known' instructors where I live)- regardless I am extremely impressed w/ your top - and you should rate your skills as at least an 'advanced beginner'! Your, obvious patience (2 MUSLINS!!) and attention to detail turned out a very lovely, beautifully constructed garment. Bravo!! p.s. I hate tops, dresses, etc. that have the "tie" thing in the back, too. I'm super short waisted - so the 'correct tie back placement' always ends up down around my hips!!! However, although it may be 'uncomfortable', the tie-back is very flattering on you! Thank you for the great review!!! -Victoria
GorgeousFabrics said... (5/21/06 5:00 PM) Reply
I think you did an excellent job! How is the fit through the shoulders and upper arms? From the picture, I suspect this pattern has the same armscye issues that Debfxvt talked about in her tip. -Ann
Leora said... (5/21/06 4:10 PM) Reply
I love every version of this tunic. Great job! Looks fab on you.
Tarawebster said... (5/21/06 3:19 PM) Reply
Nice review Kelly, and especially for a beginner you are being WAY too hard on yourself. I think you have natural talent (unlike me, who has drive but no intuitive talent lol). I admire that you finished the muslin to get the practice at the skills. Your tunic looks really nice on you, and is totally wearable. Thanks for the great description.

La Mia Boutique Taglie Forti 09-2012-109