Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6587 (vintage inspired dresses)

Reviewed by:drsue

vestapatterns.com

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Nancywin said... (10/1/08 9:50 AM) Reply
I just had to come back and read your review since I just made this dress. I love what you did with it. Now I'm inspired to make this view!
amanda77 said... (3/15/07 5:23 PM) Reply
Way cuter than the pattern envelope. I've passed up on that pattern several times, but this makes me rethink it. Absolutely adorable!
mad4sewing said... (10/29/06 7:34 PM) Reply
I love this dress. I will definately buy this pattern.
Laurie Lou said... (8/1/06 2:26 PM) Reply
That is the cutest dress I have ever seen! I also got this pattern and have not had a chance to make it but in the meantime I happen to come across a readymade sleevless; very retro, but with a slight capped sleeve and a sweetheart neckline. It is a pretty fusia...not exactly career wear but what the heck I wore it to work and felt so femmine. When you reach 50 the nice thing is you don't have to cower to fashion trends! Your dress turned out adorable. Have you worn it much? I bet the girls are envious!
sue77 said... (6/28/06 4:01 PM) Reply
I LOVE it! I bought this pattern, and I'm still waiting for the right fabric to *call* to me, lol. I imagine I'll have issues with the arms then, I have large arms. Thanks for a great review!
sue77 said... (6/28/06 3:58 PM) Reply
I LOVE it! This is SO beautiful! I bought this pattern, and I'm still waiting for the right fabric to *call* to me, lol. I imagine I'll have issues with the arms then, I have large arms. Thanks for a great review!
tlmck3 said... (6/10/06 3:04 AM) Reply
Your dress is so much cuter than the pattern! I passed over this pattern at Hancock's when I was browsing the New Look stuff that just arrived. I think I need to go back and buy it now.
Fern R said... (5/25/06 2:03 AM) Reply
My only complaint is that your photo isn't three times the size of my screen so that I can look at your handiwork in detail. :-)
Sewnla said... (5/24/06 7:27 PM) Reply
What a sweet summer dress. Very pretty.
PhyllisC said... (5/24/06 6:06 PM) Reply
Dresses like this remnd of the red & white 1940's kitchen of my great aunt. *sigh* (basking in warm feelings of nostalgia) :0)
yorkshire lass said... (5/24/06 5:04 PM) Reply
Wow, what a gorgeous dress. It looks just wonderful and I love the fabric and trim you chose, so pretty.
JDpenelope said... (5/24/06 3:52 PM) Reply
We all love it! It's perfection, esp with your fetching details.
Stacy Sews said... (5/24/06 3:33 PM) Reply
I just love this vintage dress! It looks great.
hobik said... (5/24/06 2:44 PM) Reply
That is SO ADORABLE
Liana said... (5/24/06 2:13 PM) Reply
So cute, and so very vintage, but a wonderful up-to-date sundress! I'm sure you'll wear this one out, too.
Julia Graham said... (5/24/06 10:46 AM) Reply
I would never have seen this pattern and I adore it! Thanks for reviewing. The red buttons are great.
Candis said... (5/24/06 10:36 AM) Reply
I absolutely love it! You improved it so much by moving the placement of the pockets. As always...another great job!
said... (5/24/06 10:01 AM) Reply
Love your dress! It takes me right down memory lane as I wore that style 50-plus years ago when I weighed about 40 pounds less and had firmer flesh. Oh well, I still have enjoyed the style vicariously through your dress!
slanden99 said... (5/24/06 9:49 AM) Reply
Great dress-wow!
milwaukee_kelly said... (5/24/06 9:45 AM) Reply
So cute. I would love to see you make a matching apron for this.
Sew it seams said... (5/24/06 9:05 AM) Reply
I love this look Sue. Your dress is adorable. I'd love to see a close-up of the pocket. Great reveiw as always.
Debbie Cook said... (5/24/06 9:03 AM) Reply
What a great dress! (And a thorough review too!)
countrybug said... (5/24/06 8:36 AM) Reply
Great dress and great review.
MickeyFan said... (5/24/06 7:45 AM) Reply
Seeing this dress makes me want to clean house and cook a hot meal for my family! It is really cute, I'll bet you will get many many compliments when you wear it.
squirrellypoo said... (5/24/06 7:41 AM) Reply
that is SO cute! I love it! What a perfect, perky summer dress!
StaceysMom said... (5/24/06 7:25 AM) Reply
This delightful dress is so crisp and fresh it's a true inspiration for what can be done in the sewing coner of the room. The fabric print suits the style, and the way the fabric hangs with the buttons forming a straight column and the trim nice and flat makes everything fall perfectly into place.
BillieJean said... (5/24/06 6:39 AM) Reply
Sooo cute. Your buttons look wonderful. I don't know if I'd have thought to move the bottom ones further apart to compensate for not having enough. I love this site! So many good ideas. Billie
jlg said... (5/24/06 6:20 AM) Reply
Such an adorable dress.
Danvillegirl said... (5/24/06 5:27 AM) Reply
I always like reading reviews and see the finished product. I have passed over this pattern a number of times but seeing your dress, makes the pattern more interesting. Looks great!
Em's Summer said... (5/24/06 3:23 AM) Reply
What a light and airy dress--it's just perfect for summer!
Tailypo said... (5/24/06 2:06 AM) Reply
Oh Sue, it is wonderful! Just too cute. And I agree, much nicer than the pattern envelope!
kathi s said... (5/24/06 1:32 AM) Reply
Oh wow! I love your dress! "Sleepy Lagoon" keeps running through my head (vintage music for a vintage dress!).
hongkongshopper said... (5/24/06 0:42 AM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Karen6790 said... (5/24/06 0:16 AM) Reply
What a great dress! I just added this to my wish list - it will use up some of the fun old cottons inherited in the aunt stash. Great job, and I love the buttons too.
BjP said... (5/24/06 0:07 AM) Reply
This is definitely a wonderful looking dress and I love those pockets. Just delightful!
carolynw said... (5/23/06 11:32 PM) Reply
Love this dress!! Great job and good save on the arm hole problem!!
Sherril Miller said... (5/23/06 11:17 PM) Reply
I love this style dress. I wish I could still wear it. Yours turned out so pretty.
wvsher said... (5/23/06 10:34 PM) Reply
Sweet dress! BTW, I see a lot of original vintage patterns from the 40's & 50's on eBay this week (even a few 20's & 30's). Most of them are in the smaller sizes. :D
jemgirlca said... (5/23/06 10:32 PM) Reply
Cute dress! I love it.
Ann Smith said... (5/23/06 10:22 PM) Reply
Absolutely adorable. You can serve me apple pie anytime.
Riordan said... (5/23/06 9:30 PM) Reply
Your dress is darling! Such a tiny little waist--the whole effect is exquisite. I, too, bought this pattern, and now am very eager to sew it (although knowing that my dress won't be as petite and adorable as yours) Thanks for all the helpful information!
Mary Stiefer said... (5/23/06 9:28 PM) Reply
Wow - I love this dress. The fabric is great and the retro look, as we all know, is certainly back in. Never mind that - this is just a cute dress.
Jennifer shaw said... (5/23/06 8:53 PM) Reply
It is fabulous! What a great dress- so pretty and the perfect thing to wear for Spring and Summer. Thank you for writing this inspirational review!
Diane E said... (5/23/06 8:48 PM) Reply
Sue, this is a wonderful dress. I love the buttons and the trim! I agree with you about sewing with lovely cotton. It's got to be one of the most delightful things on earth.
Judy Wentz said... (5/23/06 8:19 PM) Reply
What a darling dress! You have inspired me to give it a try.
Gigi Louis said... (5/23/06 8:04 PM) Reply
Your dress is absolutely adorable! I wish I could wear dresses like this. I bet you look great in it.
CarolynGM said... (5/23/06 7:59 PM) Reply
A very authentically vintage look. I know I made myself similar dresses in my salad days as a fledgling sewist, but they probably were trimmed with rick rack and darted rather than using princess seams (too hard at the time). Sounds like you had a lot of fun just shopping for for all the ingredients.
Trinity. said... (5/23/06 7:45 PM) Reply
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I love these vintage dresses. It looks fabulous!

Understanding Wool Fabrics