Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4192 (Five easy coordinates)

Reviewed by:redsquid

See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Swimwear

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

redsquid said... (9/8/06 10:55 AM) Reply
Keisha - I cut it as directed - stretch lenghtwise. I just think my fabric had the right stretch was too firm - you need something you can mold into a U shape (others have gotten this made - try a narrower band)
Keisha West said... (9/8/06 0:51 AM) Reply
Did you try to cut the band on the bias instead of a straight accross band. It may stretch correctly at the bottom of the band if the fabrics grain is on a diagonal.
AnneM said... (6/7/06 4:52 PM) Reply
Good info. Sounds like there are easier knit top patterns out there, although if swayed by the other pieces it might be worth fighting with. Maybe.
BeckyW said... (5/31/06 9:06 PM) Reply
Thanks for the warning on the top. I am tempted by that little kimono top though. If you make it, please post a review.
redsquid said... (5/29/06 1:03 PM) Reply
Sewingfever - you should definitely write a review of this pattern!
sewingfever said... (5/26/06 12:57 PM) Reply
In my above comments, I forgot to add that I added length to this top when cutting out - I can't remember exactly how much, probably close to an inch or slightly more, and I used it all. I'm 5'5'' and about average torso length for height.
sewingfever said... (5/26/06 12:41 PM) Reply
I made this same knit top about a month ago and after stitching the band to the top, I used a narrow overcast stitch close to the seam, then trimmed, so it's only slightly more than 1/4". I then gave the whole seam area a good steam press, kind of shaping the neckline. Then I topstitched close to the neckline seam as directed in the instructions. I wasn't a hundred percent happy with the finished result, but it's definitely wearable, and I'm picky! I am tempted to try this again, making the neck band only about half as wide, as I think this would help immensely. The band is just too wide as is to lay smoothly. I also found that the back shoulder area was cut a little narrow, and my bra straps show a bit. Hope this is helpful!
countrybug said... (5/24/06 8:52 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, I keep looking at this pattern every time I go to the store. Let us know how the other pieces come out, Ill wait on you!! ;)
Danvillegirl said... (5/24/06 5:36 AM) Reply
I really like the look of this top on the pattern envelope. Do you think if you narrowed the neckband that it would lie on neckline better? This top is like a lot of RTW tops I have seen of late and really disappointed to hear of the results. Thanks for reviewing this and giving a heads up on potential problem.
Em's Summer said... (5/24/06 3:15 AM) Reply
Hmm...if you shortened the length of the band and stretched it to fit the neckline, would that help? I hope you can fix the top--it's cute. Thanks for this very helpful review!
redsquid said... (5/23/06 11:36 PM) Reply
I thought about ribbing - but the band is cut too wide as is. I might try some narrow ribbing to salvage this (with some clear elastic to stablize gathers in front).
sewbehind said... (5/23/06 11:31 PM) Reply
I don't know what the instructions say, but what would happen if you used a rib-type fabric for the neckband piece? I noticed this pattern and thought that it was cute. Now I guess I will run too. Thanks for the review.
carolynw said... (5/23/06 11:28 PM) Reply
Thanks a million - got the e-mail today and thought this was so cute - good to know it's one that's best to avoid. If YOU can't get it to look right then I know it's one a sewist should really run away from.
Celeste said... (5/23/06 11:14 PM) Reply
Thank you for the detour!

Vogue Patterns 8821 OOP