Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8339

Member since: 9/26/05
Posted on:6/12/06 1:32 PM
Last Updated:6/12/06 1:35 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
regine said... (6/14/06 8:32 AM) Reply
Hi Helen, If anything the pattern may be a bit small but not too big. If I would want to wear it closed it is tight but I never close the bottons. Thanks for your comment.
Helen near Sydney said... (6/14/06 3:34 AM) Reply
Regine, I think you've done a beautiful job with this. To me though, the jacket looks a little big for you through the shoulders and even the sleeves. I wonder whether you really are a size 12 or maybe a combination 10/12???
Annika said... (6/13/06 9:35 AM) Reply
Great job! This is a lovely jacket. I also take my better projects to a tailor to have buttonholes put in...they have the proper equipment and the skills - my own buttonholes always look a little too funky to me. :)
JenniferBee said... (6/13/06 6:23 AM) Reply
Lovely Jacket, I like the pocket treatment, much better than patch pockets. The buttonholes are a great idea, wonder if there is a tailor in my city that would do buttonholes.
Danvillegirl said... (6/13/06 5:11 AM) Reply
Very nice looking jacket.
martinanne said... (6/13/06 3:53 AM) Reply
It looks beautiful on you!
Levone said... (6/12/06 9:02 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks great!
BSYMPLS said... (6/1/06 7:02 AM) Reply
Very nice jacket. Congratulations!
wvsher said... (5/31/06 11:18 AM) Reply
Very pretty.
Irene Q said... (5/31/06 10:29 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket - would love to see it on you, when it's finished!
regine said... (5/31/06 7:47 AM) Reply
Thanks for your comments, fuzzygalore. I have noted your advice about the sleeve. The material is actually wool and I am hope that with good steaming the problem will be resolved. Other wise I have two choices, live with the bad sleeves or redo them!!!
fuzzygalore said... (5/31/06 3:41 AM) Reply
Very nice jacket, and the pockets look great. I totally agree with you that welt pockets are more business-like than patch... Next time, you might try making sure the undercollar is cut about 1/8" (2mm) smaller than the top collar in all directions except along the neck. It's easy to fit them together as you sew, and that alone ensures that you won't have any untoward rolling of the seam to the outside. You might like the understitching to make sure all the same, but things will lie flatter in general.

One thing I see though is that you had some trouble easing the seam into the armhole - you don't say what your fabric is, but I'd guess it's not 100% wool? That'd make easing harder from lack of elasticity. Next time, perhaps take a small horizontal tuck out of the sleeve cap to reduce its height? You can check the length of both side of that seam against each other to make sure you don't have too much extra in the sleeve. Most jacket patterns, especially Burda, assume wool and so will have more ease than you can cope with in other fabrics.

SewBaby Poncho Pizazz Pattern