Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 9665 (Kids' Chair)

Reviewed by:DeborahMy

About DeborahMy
Member since: 5/25/06
Posted on:5/31/06 12:33 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 3 people

Vesta Patterns

leanmeansewingmachine said... (10/14/07 7:59 AM) Reply
I love this chair! Yours looks really cute! I also made this chair one for my daughter and one for my son. My son's chair has the floppy problem but I thought that was because I put the arm fabric on the bias. My daughter's chair doesn't have that problem because I didn't prewash the fabric. After I washed the fabric the first time it shrunk. Now the chair is nice and firm. If I make another cover for my son I'm going to wash the fabric after sewing.
Ody said... (12/13/06 4:19 PM) Reply
I made this chair for my 6 yo dd. It is floppy, but make a great TV sitting spot. One thing I did, (and do with a lot of home dec places that need reinforcing), was use strips of embroidery soft cut-away stabalizer. I use the type that has very fine webbing and it is very light, but extremely strong. Maybe I am just cheap, but I do a lot of embroidery and I refuse to throw all of that away! For a project like yours I use my rotary cutter and just cut thin strips. Used to reinforce seams it is great because it does not add a lot of bulk.
candyo said... (6/1/06 8:34 PM) Reply
I had the same experience with my pillow forms when I made this. I think the back form needs to be taller, and Kit's comment about the velcro is a great idea. Stephanie- don't worry about the pillow forms- nobody will see them, so they don't have to be perfect.
slanden99 said... (6/1/06 10:20 AM) Reply
Cute chair. My DD would love something like this.
Stephanie C. said... (6/1/06 1:37 AM) Reply
Very nice job! I have this pattern, but am too afraid to make it because making the pillow forms looks too complicated. I appreciate your review.
wvsher said... (5/31/06 9:34 PM) Reply
Cute chair; thanks for the review!
Judy Williment said... (5/31/06 6:42 PM) Reply
Is this the same pattern that Susan Khalje used on an episode of Sew Much More? If it is, she demonstrated a couple of things that might be helpful, including reinforcement stitching. Despite your issues, that is one cute chair!
Stacy Sews said... (5/31/06 4:03 PM) Reply
I made one of these about 5 years ago for my daughter - it was very floppy when I made it too (and even more so after so many years of wear). I noticed at some point they were selling pillowforms to use with this (but at a huge cost). I'm not sure that would help or not with the floppyness. Nice job on your chair, it's so pretty!
KitnRose said... (5/31/06 2:00 PM) Reply
What fun! When I worked at a high-end kids' furniture store we sold a lot of these at $70+ each and they flopped around a lot, too. I /think/ they attached velcro strips to the seat and seat cushion to keep them a little more together, but don't really remember. Honestly, your version is far cuter than any we sold!
Elemenopeo said... (5/31/06 1:52 PM) Reply
It's very pretty with the fabrics you chose.

by: mesewlot