Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4464 (jackets, tops, skirts, pants)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:6/3/06 1:24 PM
Last Updated:6/3/06 1:26 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
RuthieSews said... (8/18/08 2:55 AM) Reply
Thank you for this review, I am planning to make this jacket :-)
Nata said... (6/5/06 7:22 PM) Reply
It is very pretty. Glad you found the ribbon. The jacket is too nice for a wadder
milwaukee_kelly said... (6/5/06 10:10 AM) Reply
Beautiful results Sue! Who knew that the ribbon would be the problem.
ldpaulson said... (6/4/06 4:02 PM) Reply
It's always wonderful to see what you've been working on and this jacket is no exception. Beautiful job! The twill certainly doesn't *look* cheap and the work-around to give the fabric more body is a good tip to keep in mind for future possible challenges as I assume it could be used on many other types of woven fashion fabrics. Thanks.
PhyllisC said... (6/4/06 11:54 AM) Reply
Susan, boy can I relate to the angst of seeking the perfect color trim! Ay Yi Yi. Another good source for future reference is Tinsel Trading in NYC - they have a sister store across the street devoted just to ribbon, and they have petersham in every color ( They may not list it on their web site but give them a call.
redsquid said... (6/4/06 11:25 AM) Reply
drsue - I'm making the burda jean jacket again (we've both posted reviews - I did the "mature version".) I ordered my teal 16" separating zipper online (in two colors!) just before I read your review. I normally don't do this, but I knew this notion would be a bear to find locally. So I know how you feel about your ribbon, it seems such a common-place item one should be able to pick it up within driving distance. Your jacket looks great - the ribbon really sets it off, as you said "at a distance" (or in a photo) it's a great accent - the color looks perfect. Linda (redsquid)
slanden99 said... (6/4/06 10:25 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. I love the aqua ribbon.
patsijean said... (6/4/06 10:07 AM) Reply
This is a great jacket and your ribbon choice is perfect. The outfit is wonderful.
Danvillegirl said... (6/4/06 7:21 AM) Reply
Pretty jacket.
lornakismet said... (6/4/06 0:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful, impeccable, clean, unusual, and I would love to wear it. -LornaKismet (Lorna A.)
Mary Stiefer said... (6/3/06 11:38 PM) Reply
A beautiful jacket and I think the ribbon is a perfect color for it. Another lovely creation.
BjP said... (6/3/06 11:08 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! You just ran into what I call the BevPrinciple...if I want or need it, nobody has it! Glad you were finally able to come up with a good match..your ensemble looks fabulous.
layla said... (6/3/06 10:12 PM) Reply
Beautiful ...nice clean (and look like slimming) lines on this .. I love your ribbon effect and what a great look with the shell and pants.
hongkongshopper said... (6/3/06 9:38 PM) Reply
Great Jacket - but never a wadder. You could just have added a clasp or self fabric tie. Love the idea of the belt coming out of the seams.
Enid E said... (6/3/06 9:32 PM) Reply
Wow! I am sure this looks wonderful on you! Love your color choice and your ribbon looks like it matches to me! Great job..
rosephreak said... (6/3/06 8:26 PM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this pattern. My mom wants me to make it for her, and I made the skirt for myself already. It looks lovely how you have done it. Aqua is quite popular this season, I think. Nice job.
MelissaB in WA said... (6/3/06 7:44 PM) Reply
The jacket is very pretty, I'm so glad you didn't toss it!
KarmenG said... (6/3/06 7:39 PM) Reply
Nice job - your jacket looks great. I also like fusing the weft on jacket pieces. I'm glad you were able to find the ribbon that worked!
sewbehind said... (6/3/06 6:57 PM) Reply
Very pretty. You must be one stylish doctor!
Carolyn C said... (6/3/06 6:52 PM) Reply
Exceptional. Love it!
wvsher said... (6/3/06 6:44 PM) Reply
So pretty!
jemgirlca said... (6/3/06 6:08 PM) Reply
Cute jacket! I'm glad you finally found ribbon that would work. :)
frame said... (6/3/06 4:09 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket. The ribbon makes it look very feminine.
CarolynGM said... (6/3/06 2:39 PM) Reply
Exceptionally cute jacket in a luscious color. Good decision to interface and line. Shaped jackets without the underpinnings hardly every work out for me.
OP Gal said... (6/3/06 1:49 PM) Reply
You've done it again, drsue. Great review and great looking jacket. I think the ribbon looks fine.

Made By Rae Geranium Dress