Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8055 (Evening Dress)

Reviewed by:kwpanthermom

About kwpanthermomstarstar
Member since: 11/9/05
Posted on:6/5/06 2:16 PM
Last Updated:6/6/06 10:11 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Formalwear
AlexaNJ said... (7/1/07 4:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful! The quilting adds a fabulous touch! I love it!
agnieszka said... (6/16/06 3:57 PM) Reply
Wow!!! Absolutely stunning dress!!!
Dr. Alice said... (6/14/06 7:55 PM) Reply
Absolutely incredible - your daughter is one lucky girl!!
nicegirl said... (6/7/06 9:43 AM) Reply
Thank you for this great review--it's like reading a story about a mother and daughter. I love the final product, especially the subtle beading on the bodice.
MarilynB said... (6/6/06 4:57 PM) Reply
Wow, what an adventure and the results are spectacular!!! Hopefully, your daughter gave you a big hug for all your efforts. Did you make her date's tie, too? It's a great match to her dress.
slanden99 said... (6/6/06 3:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress
Sew it seams said... (6/6/06 3:32 PM) Reply
Love your review and the dress is exquisite! The beading and quilting is so beautiful. You did a fabulous job and your daughter is gorgeous for her prom. It takes a lot of time and effort to write such a complete and informative review, so thank you! I always look forward to seeing more of your reviews!
Little Birdie said... (6/6/06 12:36 PM) Reply
Wow! What absolutely gorgeous dresses, and your daughter looks like a model in them! As a newbie, it is wonderful to get insight into your process. This is one of those "inspiration reviews" for me! Thanks so much for sharing!
dreamdesigner said... (6/6/06 11:53 AM) Reply
I feel so inadaquet! I too made dd's prom dress. Unfortunately, I didn't know about this site then, or I would have know that the pattern she chose was waaaaay out of my league. Of course I would have had everyone's help here. I did realize that the pattern she chose would be a challenge, and I wasn't thrilled with the prospects of it, but well it was a learning experience. We also had a problem with the bodice staying up, and last week while shopping at Ann Taylor noticed those rubber-looking thingys in the back of a halter top, and thought, "gosh, that could have helped" I also thought of clear elastic, and will probably use it for halter tops in the future. My dd was a senior, and this was the only prom dress that I made for her ( She DID attend 5 proms altogether - 2 this year, and 2 last year, and one her soph year) I DO have two more dds though, so we'll see what happens in the future. I would like another crack at a prom dress, and I'll study all yours, and others tips, and techniques. Thanks for all that!
milwaukee_kelly said... (6/6/06 9:13 AM) Reply
What an entertaining review to read. Such a gorgeous dress. My favorite of them all too. So happy you post your projects here, because now I can't wait to see what the homecoming dress will be!
Nancy K said... (6/6/06 9:09 AM) Reply
Wow! Beautiful dress. I hope that she appreciates your incredible work. This is the best of them all. Boy, do you have a lot to live up to for next year! Wonderful and helpful review.
wvsher said... (6/6/06 9:01 AM) Reply
What a lovely and unique gown! You did a great job on it.
Modiste Madness said... (6/6/06 8:55 AM) Reply
You are such an incredibly nice Mom with wonderful sewing skills and taste. The dress and your daughter are lovely. I loved your explanation of the design process. That careful consideration is so essential to the creation of such a wonderful garment.
kwpanthermom said... (6/6/06 7:10 AM) Reply
Thank you Kathleen S for catching my mistake of the ebay store I bought the silk chiffon from! I will correct and update asap! (Fixed - links are now correct.)
KathleenS said... (6/6/06 6:46 AM) Reply
I really like the first muslin, but I think the design you chose was better for the fabric in the end. Is that definitely the right ebay link? because that seller seems to be in Texas?
Stacy Sews said... (6/5/06 8:56 PM) Reply
I'm in love with this dress! It's perfect, the style, the fabric, everything.
cmarie12 said... (6/5/06 8:21 PM) Reply
Okay, I just went through this process and I should have been corresponding with you while I made my DD's dress! This one is a stunner! Thanks for posting the reviews of the other dresses so that I could see what I need to aspire to for my next DD!
jemgirlca said... (6/5/06 7:46 PM) Reply
Wow, you did it again! I like this one the best, too. Lucky girl!!
KAB said... (6/5/06 7:42 PM) Reply
Breathtaking - both your design persistence and the dress' glory.
Skymom said... (6/5/06 7:30 PM) Reply
I love this youthful, romantic look. It's a wonderful dress for a young lady. She looked great in the Pucci halter muslin, too--so save that one for a future dance!
Em's Summer said... (6/5/06 6:39 PM) Reply
Whew! What a project! But well worth all of the work because it is just lovely! Your DD looks great it in! Thanks for this great review and all of the pics!
Lori V said... (6/5/06 4:58 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress and your dd looks beautiful for her prom.
bunz said... (6/5/06 4:39 PM) Reply
What a lucky girl she is -- and a pretty one! And you've gained such valuable experience for the wedding gown!! LOL!! Beautiful!
elizajo said... (6/5/06 4:27 PM) Reply
You have a beautiful daughter! I love the quilted bodice with beading, it's just the right touch.
celeste said... (6/5/06 4:15 PM) Reply
so adorable :) Thanks for the great review too.
PegL said... (6/5/06 4:03 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning dress! Great review! It reminded me of the many dresses I made for my DD. I thought I was done with the senior prom dress too and then she joined a sorority! More dresses but fun.
casken said... (6/5/06 4:03 PM) Reply
Triple wow!!! Very beautiful fabric. Your dd looked stunning. Thank you so much for the detailed review. I hope my dd wants to make her prom dress one day. Still have ten years to go.
sewbehind said... (6/5/06 3:55 PM) Reply
Your daughter's dress turned out beautiful and looks lovely on her. Such work and dedication on your part. Stunning outcome.
BeckyW said... (6/5/06 3:52 PM) Reply
That is an incredible dress!!!! So much work and it turned out just beautiful. Thanks for such a detailed review. I had fun just dreaming of all those pattern choices you went through. The handwork and crystals were incredible on the dress. It must be even more beautiful in person. Your daughter is beautiful and looks very pleased with the dress. That is the best part!
Anne Frances said... (6/5/06 3:39 PM) Reply
Wow again! What an elegant daughter, what a stunning fabric and what a clever Mother! I loved hearing all about the design process, the techniques and the outcome. The embellishment s particularly successful - so perfectly judged. Many many congratulations Anne
funsewer said... (6/5/06 3:11 PM) Reply
Wow!! What a lucky girl to have such a dedicated prom dress maker - three times over. I, too, like this one the best on her.

Amy Butler AB031LTC