Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2006-110 (Empire Waist Dress)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:6/13/06 2:12 AM
Last Updated:6/13/06 2:14 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
Deepika said... (6/14/06 5:30 PM) Reply
Lovely photo and a gorgeous dress.
dvazz said... (6/14/06 11:21 AM) Reply
Beautiful! I hadn't thought to leave off the sleeves. I like it much better that way. Very classy and it looks great on you!
Nancy K said... (6/14/06 9:30 AM) Reply
Nice job and it is flattering on you. I shy away from empire waists because of a D cup, but you look very good in it.
Danvillegirl said... (6/14/06 5:12 AM) Reply
Lovely summery dress. Looks good on you!
hongkongshopper said... (6/13/06 5:20 PM) Reply
Very nice dresss - you are looking very summery. Here is Aus, it is verrry cold and our heater has gone on the blink :( Oh and the shoes - very nice match!
Ann Smith said... (6/13/06 4:20 PM) Reply
SewingRookie, I think fit is key in an empire waist line. The seam needs to be placed just right and the fullness below the seam needs to be very drapey. Without these right the effect is "maternal" to say the least. I'm sorry you had so much trouble. Turning the tubes can be very frustrating and depends somewhat on the fabric. Some fabrics just don't want to do it. Keep trying.
SewingRookie said... (6/13/06 4:14 PM) Reply

SewingRookie said... (6/13/06 4:13 PM) Reply
this dress was quick? not for me! it took me a gazillion years! i did both the dress and the shirt. keep in mind that this was the 5th and 6th (4th and 5th?) patterns i have ever done, so i thought i would never do them right. the dress i ruined because i cut the seam allowance too much. i could NOT turn the tie and loops out so instead, i folded it over after sewing and just did a lazy "designer stitch" over it so you could not tell it was not turned out (my fabric was the right side either way). i think you made a good decision not to make the sleeves puffy because it made me look larger in the shoulders and i am a very small person. the shirt turned out okay, but the main complaint is that it made me look 20 pounds heavier than i really am. i had to shorten it for a petite fit and ... i don't know... i think this is intended for taller people or something. i'm going to try to alter it when i am not so lazy to slim myself down. i would not sew this project again. i felt it was a lot of work for something that didn't fit completely right... but again, i am a novice that took on more than i could chew. btw, you look fabulous in this dress!
Elemenopeo said... (6/13/06 1:14 PM) Reply
Looks very pretty on you - esp with the lace up espadrilles.
Diane E said... (6/13/06 12:01 PM) Reply
Ann, what a pretty dress. You look lovely in it. I like your sleeveless version. Also, thanks for the heads-up on the too- wide shoulders.
sewbehind said... (6/13/06 10:49 AM) Reply
Ann, this dress looks very nice on you. Heads will turn! I must echo the comments on the garden. Beautiful!
Leslie in Austin said... (6/13/06 10:43 AM) Reply
Girlfriend, you are fabulous. Love it!
GorgeousFabrics said... (6/13/06 10:07 AM) Reply
Lovely dress, beautiful work!
Sew Little Thyme said... (6/13/06 9:44 AM) Reply
Very nice! I was going to make the top but now I might have to make the dress too! Love it love it!
Hilary said... (6/13/06 9:18 AM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful!! It's very flattering, and now I want this issue even more! Maybe I can make a respectable copy from something I already have...(but I really want this issue!) LOL. Thanks for the review!
Debbie Cook said... (6/13/06 9:05 AM) Reply
Ann, your dress turned out great! Very pretty, feminine. Love the colors on you!
MaryBeth said... (6/13/06 8:57 AM) Reply
Curving the side seams to match worked perfectly! This style looks so comfortable and pulled together for casual summer. Very nice results!
Mary Stiefer said... (6/13/06 8:53 AM) Reply
This looks lovely.
Sue Anfang said... (6/13/06 7:36 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress, Anne as always!
Lisette said... (6/13/06 7:17 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, I love your garden.
CarolynGM said... (6/13/06 7:16 AM) Reply
Your changes really made this style work for you. Lovely dress!
JenniferBee said... (6/13/06 6:08 AM) Reply
Lovely Anne, like the matching shoes. Wish I could wear empireline clothes, but sadly they only emphisis my figure faults :-( Love your garden as well.
Vonnevo said... (6/13/06 3:49 AM) Reply
Beautiful Ann :)) I specially like the very extreme shot. Thanks for another great review.
appleC said... (6/13/06 2:47 AM) Reply
Woo, you look so lovely in that dress! Great fabric choice too! I have the same wide shoulder problem with Burda patterns.
HenriettenDK said... (6/13/06 2:38 AM) Reply
Very, very nice - I'm going to make this too - love the fabric - and you look great in the pictures !

HotPatterns Fringe T