Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 905 (Fitted Jacket)

Reviewed by:Mary Ann

About Mary Annstar
Member since: 4/18/02
Posted on:10/21/02 2:55 AM
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Vesta Patterns

vestapatterns.com

Gigi Louis said... (12/10/02 10:25 AM) Reply
I have some FSG wool doubleknit in my stash and now I think I really need to get this pattern! Thanks for your review - don't know how I missed it back in October.
AnneM said... (12/10/02 9:32 AM) Reply
I'm confused when I read these comments. You don't preshrink the fabric first, but construct the garmet and then shrink it? Wouldn't it be easier to preshrink the fabric and then make the size that fits you without shrinking more?
said... (10/22/02 3:42 PM) Reply
Thanks for your insight MaryAnn. I really do like the style of the fitted jacket, as well as the new Basewear patterns. I have looked at her website, and the prices are reasonable for high quality fabric, it's just scary to start out with something known not to fit..I think that I will try it....I'll let you know how it goes..
said... (10/22/02 1:53 AM) Reply
It is scary at first...I started with an inexpensive cotton/lycra blend from JoAnn's and got a feel for the process. Then I dove into the good stuff and haven't looked back. I trust CJ's method's and her measurement charts. I think it is important (at least for me) to sew the pattern as intended (i.e. with cotton/lycra) first and then extend out to other fabrics. Her newest patterns, Basewear Two and Swing Shirt contain charts of finished garment measurements, that might help. I find her drafts to be very forgiving. the finished garments are flattering and very comfortable to wear. I feel that it is worth it to dabble in this "new" way of sewing. Good luck. Keep us posted as to your progress.
said... (10/22/02 0:07 AM) Reply
Mary Ann, I have looked at these patterns but have been hesitant due to the instructions - It scares me to rely on a certain percentage of shrinkage while I'm constructing the garment. Any advice as to how to do this, or do these patterns only work with CJs fabrics?
said... (10/21/02 1:16 PM) Reply
Mary Ann, it sounds wonderful! That is a really smart looking pattern, and I hope you write a review on the cuff pant when you make those. I don't have any of these patterns yet, but I like this jacket and the cuff pant too. :)

Ottobre Design Magazine 03-2011-19