Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4559 (Luau Dress OOP)

Reviewed by:delirium

About deliriumstar
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since: 3/31/04
Posted on:6/30/06 8:30 PM

delirium said... (7/1/06 11:06 AM) Reply
Not at all, I knew what you meant and agree with you totally. :)
Quesie said... (7/1/06 9:49 AM) Reply
By the way, I think YOUR version is beautiful, and my earlier comments were about the pattern drafting, not your wonderful efforts! Sorry if I sounded like a crank.
OP Gal said... (7/1/06 9:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. I can't believe you're defining yourself as a beginner. Your savvy handling the challenges of this pattern clearly defines you as more advanced than that. By the way, you'll have to explain to this Kansas gal what "twiddly" means. :o)
delirium said... (7/1/06 5:58 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone :) Lhan, I did wonder about self-lining the ties but I was worried they'd get too bulky at the back. I like the piping idea, that would pick up the detail. On the skirt drape too. It's a nice pattern in itself. I think what irks is that it's on the route to being great, but doesn't quite make it.
Elona said... (7/1/06 4:23 AM) Reply
Still and all, woo-hoo! Striking dress, to say the least.
Sew4Fun said... (6/30/06 8:58 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress and fabric! I find it hard to believe it is a costume too.
Lhan said... (6/30/06 8:41 PM) Reply
I agree with you - my first thought was "Is this really a "costume"? It looks more like a great dress to me!" I love your adventurousness with these patterns - and I think you made a great job of a slightly inadequate pattern. Your solutions are great - that bust wrapping looks fabulous, and fabric is perfect. As an alternative, what about a self lining on the ties with piping or plain bound edging? A photo of you in it is all that is lacking (go on - be a devil!).
Em's Summer said... (6/30/06 8:14 PM) Reply
That luau dress looks soo pretty that I can't even tell there were any problems with the pattern! Great job!
Annika said... (6/30/06 7:03 PM) Reply
There seem to be so many problems with this pattern - perhaps that's why they discontinued it so fast. It's a shame they didn't put out a good product in the first place. Your dress is sumptuous - love, love, love the fabric choice!
brrmm said... (6/30/06 6:53 PM) Reply
Oh man, I lerrve it !!
Heatherrique said... (6/30/06 6:52 PM) Reply
Very stunning dress! I like your version better!
Quesie said... (6/30/06 6:44 PM) Reply
I had all the same problems and disappointments as you had with this pattern. I wanted that look SO BAD. And instead and fiddled around trying to make the best of the half-baked pattern. This thing does need STRUCTURE to stand up, and a nice finish to the wrap! I hope they rethink it and make a REAL pattern next time.

Sewn Square One Upline Jacket Pattern