Pattern Reviews> HotPatterns> WSJ Bollywood Dress (WSJ Bollywood Dress)

Viewed 1900 times
Reviewed by:MickeyFan

About MickeyFanstarstar
Member since: 6/7/04
Posted on:7/1/06 5:03 PM
Last Updated:7/1/06 5:13 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
Patti in IL said... (3/19/07 2:17 PM) Reply
I am planning to make this in a double georgette - so wanted to read about that bodice!! Thanks for the details!
AnneM said... (7/27/06 9:37 AM) Reply
Well, you might be able to make the dress again in a very drapey fabric, and have it something you can wear somewhere a little less glitzy. To this version, add a nice necklace and go to opening night at the opera.
lindarkv said... (7/9/06 10:52 PM) Reply
I bought this pattern to make for my daughter, became discouraged trying to understand the directions - what is the "mount" - lining or fashion fabric? Your review convinced my to give the pattern a try.
Christina Sonja said... (7/6/06 0:53 AM) Reply
H-O-T... Thanks for this review! I have this pattern but haven't gotten around to it yet - now the bar has been set! I haven't looked closely at the pattern pieces yet - are those pockets I see? Are they part of the pattern or you added them? They are great.
milwaukee_kelly said... (7/3/06 11:39 AM) Reply
Mickey, your dress is dynamite. I LOVE it! I have been waiting patiently for somebody to review this. Thanks! I have it ready to be made up in some linen for an upcoming wedding. Hopefully my version will turn out as beautifully as yours!
licarritc said... (7/3/06 9:12 AM) Reply
I've loved that dress from the beginning too! Also have no wear to wear it but then it wouldn't look as good on me as it does on you!
Nancy K said... (7/2/06 11:27 AM) Reply
Throw a lets dress up New Years eve party! You look fabulous in this dress.
MarilynB said... (7/2/06 8:39 AM) Reply
This pattern has intrigued me since it was first available. It is so chic and feminine. You look marvelous in it. Thank you for the review.
Danvillegirl said... (7/2/06 7:57 AM) Reply
It looks great on you. Lucky you that you can pull off a Jessica Parker outfit. Like Debbie, you need to invent someplace to wear it.
MaryBeth said... (7/2/06 7:21 AM) Reply
Love this dress: It's very becoming. So, now you know how wonderfully flattering this style is for you. Thank you for being so linear and doing the review.
Katharine in BXL said... (7/2/06 4:29 AM) Reply
I'm with Debbie. Must wear! At least drag DH out for cocktails one night.
patsijean said... (7/2/06 1:10 AM) Reply
This dress is a "Wowwwwzer." Make up something, anything, for a reason to wear this dress somewhere.
popoagiesmiles said... (7/1/06 11:53 PM) Reply
Seriously, maybe you should have a dressup party at your house. Why not do something like that for your daughter's next birthday party? Call it a princess party or a movie star party or some such thing or if she's too old for that call it a glamour girl party and maybe get a friend to help and do everyone's colors, sending them home with color reference cards, have a lesson in fashion tips on topics like balancing proportions or how to build a wardrobe on just a few items or whatever. You could do a demonstration with a mirror in front of a window, showing how different colors make you look different, or having a volunteer model different styles and show how different principles can be used for different effect...well, I just really want to see you were this dress I guess, even if it's for a costume of sorts. Or it could be a costume party and you could really go as Audrey Hepburn. I have about four dresses I have nowhere to wear as well. Even the symphony around here is more casual than that.
PatCat said... (7/1/06 8:40 PM) Reply
You must FIND a cocktail party! You look mah-velous!
PhyllisC said... (7/1/06 8:33 PM) Reply
I love it - this is the kind fo dress that makes you go out and look for a eason to wear it. Take on your next vacation!
beangirl said... (7/1/06 8:32 PM) Reply
Oh wow, what everyone else said! I am sooooo glad you made this lovely dress, I have been dying to see one made up! Can you maybe go into Atlanta for a fancy weekend? You must must must wear this out and blow everyone away with your fabulousness. :-)
CarolynGM said... (7/1/06 8:19 PM) Reply
Well, just throw a party yourself so you can shine in this gorgeous dress!
BjP said... (7/1/06 8:12 PM) Reply
You look like a princess! You need to go on a cruise or something to show off this stunning dress!
Sew4Fun said... (7/1/06 7:21 PM) Reply
Wow, you look stunning! I love your fabric choice. Great review too.
oracle said... (7/1/06 7:14 PM) Reply
You look so great in that! I once made the Issey Miyake cape that's been in print since 1984 in a gorgeous coral red cashmere blend I got at a liquidation sale with money I'd been given as a gift. It turned out WAY too dressy -- and I'm an ultra-casual, seventies-type hippie-type person. But the few times I've worn it I've loved it, and so has everyone else! If you're not into dressy occasions, have you got some really good friends you could go over to dinner to, who'd make room for your just wearing it for the sake of wearing it -- even if they aren't dressed up themselves? And with whom you'd feel comfortable doing that?
bunz said... (7/1/06 6:49 PM) Reply
Uber-Bolllywood! Hope you get an occasion to wear it because it reallly looks fab on you.
Vonnevo said... (7/1/06 6:42 PM) Reply
Definitely a Bollywood look, glamourous and simply gorgeous.
zinnia said... (7/1/06 6:23 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress!! You look wonderful!
Heatherrique said... (7/1/06 6:19 PM) Reply
Audrey Hepburn with a modern age twist. Simply gorgeous!
popoagiesmiles said... (7/1/06 6:09 PM) Reply
This is a lovely length on you. You look great in all your creations, but I think this length and the bit of frill is very flattering to you. The dress looks perfect on you, and I do think you should go to the city and see an opera or hob nob somewhere nice as an adventure with the dress as an excuse. What about wearing it to a fancy evening wedding? Also, would you ever consider making this up in a very drapey, thin fabric, maybe something casual and young looking? It could give you the flattery without the fuss.
Kay Y said... (7/1/06 6:08 PM) Reply
I agree this is a super fantastic dress. I sure hope you can wear it soon, at an occasion that will do it justice.
drsue said... (7/1/06 5:59 PM) Reply
Terrific dress! You must find an occaision for it!
jlg said... (7/1/06 5:53 PM) Reply
Awesome dress. You must find some place to wear it.
Doris W. in TN said... (7/1/06 5:44 PM) Reply
Verrry "Bollywood"! ;-) I love that shade of blue, too.
Lorna C. Newman said... (7/1/06 5:33 PM) Reply
Oh wow! This is an amazing dress ... and you are stunning in it! You have to go show this off somewhere ... can't you invite yourself to a wedding or something?
Linda F said... (7/1/06 5:28 PM) Reply
Wow! Great dress. I would immediately make reservations at one of the best restaurants in town and make a reason to wear this! You did a super job.
KarmenG said... (7/1/06 5:27 PM) Reply
That dress looks fabulous on you! You must go out for cocktails one evening soon!! Great review too.
Debbie Cook said... (7/1/06 5:23 PM) Reply
Wow!! This looks so great. You simply *have* to invent someplace to wear it to. And when you do, all eyes will be on you in your knockout dress.

Favorite Things Sweet Es-Cape Pattern