Pattern Reviews> Silhouette Patterns> 450 (450 Nancy's Blouse)

Reviewed by:Elaray

About Elaraystarstarstar
Member since: 4/20/05
Posted on:7/10/06 2:50 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people

idesign said... (9/20/11 4:57 PM) Reply
Thanks for this helpful review, Elaray. I bought this pattern and also am in a plus size. I'll reread your review before making it in a muslin.
AnneM said... (8/25/06 3:15 PM) Reply
Great fabric combination. It isn't nearly as bad on you as you think. Pull it back out of your closet & you will probably like it more. The armscye might be a little low although I'm not a really good judge of that yet. Thanks for the info on the poor quality control for this pattern.
PixieCat said... (7/11/06 4:04 PM) Reply
I have this pattern and appreciate the tips. I agree, it's difficult getting used to the sizing on these patterns. I still always check the shoulder measurement and am surprised that I have to add to them as well, it's usually the other way around. Your top looks very nice and I love the stripes. Your yolk turned out very nice.
fuzzygalore said... (7/10/06 4:02 PM) Reply
Well, yes, it looks more fitted than what you usually wear. But it looks nice, really :-). And I especially think that the shoulders are good on you. The shoulder seam is supposed to be on that bone at the end of the shoulder, and that's exactly where it looks like it sits on you. I also vote for a week in the back of the closet, followed by gradual public introduction. I think you'll be surprised by how many compliments you get. If nothing else, the fabrics are truly great, I love that softer take on stripes, and the colors look like they suit you totally.
Lorna C. Newman said... (7/10/06 4:01 PM) Reply
Perhaps you can hold up the next cup size against you to see if that fits better? If it is tight in the upper back as well, than maybe the size was not quite right for your body. I agree with the other comments, though. It does look nice on you and that a knit or stretch woven this would probably be perfect for you. But in the end, no matter what PR says, you have to like it. So, follow your heart on this and carry on. I like your approach to your reviews as an avenue for self improvement in sewing and fit.
Mary Stiefer said... (7/10/06 3:30 PM) Reply
Wow - when I looked at the picture I thought "what a cute top" and then I read " did not work for me". I think it looks great. If it's a bit tight and you feel uncomfortable in public - wear this at home. I'm betting you will get lots of compliments. Just take what you learned about this pattern and make a second one that "will work" for you.
ccris said... (7/10/06 3:22 PM) Reply
Very nice detailed review. I like the fabric, colors, and the coordinating fabric on the yoke. Very pretty. It looks especially nice with your khaki or stone colored pants. I agree with Peggy L about putting it away for a week and then re-evaluating. I hope you'll like it better by then. Even though it's snugger than you usually like, it doesn't look too tight.
Celeste said... (7/10/06 3:13 PM) Reply
Looks very nice! You could probably make it exactly the same size in a poly jersey and with just a little stretch you might think it's just perfect!
elizajo said... (7/10/06 3:10 PM) Reply
In the photo, it looks great! Is it possible to rip out the side seams and the darts, and lower the apex of the dart enough to make you happier with the fit?
Peggy L said... (7/10/06 3:02 PM) Reply
Elaray - hang this at the back of the closet for a week or two and then re-evaluate. The style looks really nice on you. Thanks for an honest review!!!

by: Couturemum