Pattern Reviews> Decades of Style> 1902 (1919 Kimono Waist blouse)

Reviewed by:CarolynD

About CarolynDstar
NJ USA
Member since: 12/31/05
Posted on:7/13/06 2:32 AM
Last Updated:7/13/06 2:39 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 8 people    Very Helpful by 23 people
Carol909 said... (9/23/11 2:30 AM) Reply
I would never have been brave enough to sew this in such fragile material that reveals every seam -- you did an amazing job! I know this is years ago now, but what fun it would be to see a picture of your friend wearing the blouse... any chance?
englishdressmaker said... (3/5/10 11:50 AM) Reply
When I saw your photo of this top, I just had to buy the pattern. It arrived today! Thanks.
JillyBe said... (1/25/10 9:55 PM) Reply
Thorough review and Gorgeous results!!! I think I'm in love with the Decades of Style patterns. :)
esmer said... (1/19/07 2:57 AM) Reply
I love it so much that you have inspired me to make one in black and white with matching lace placed on the seam. Thank you so much for you wonderful review.
moushka said... (9/6/06 12:46 PM) Reply
Sensational blouse! Glad you made one for yourself :-)
AnneM said... (8/25/06 4:30 PM) Reply
Your choice of fabrics makes this elegant, classic, and timeless.
Sew it seams said... (7/18/06 10:16 AM) Reply
I love this blouse. It's absoultly beautiful, as everyone has said. Good tip about using the spray starch to stiffen the fabric. This may be why it made it a little more difficult for your needle to go through- (just a thought) I use a brand new, very fine microtex needle on fine fabrics as well as the straight stich needle plate ,and find that the combination makes a very smooth stich.
Ann Smith said... (7/17/06 5:12 PM) Reply
How lovely this is! The cream batiste is a perfect choice to show off the lines of this style.
cathy45 said... (7/16/06 12:12 PM) Reply
This is such a lovely top. Very simple, clean lines--elegant. Would never guess that it was such a retro pattern. had never heard of this company til your review, but after checking them out I love them. Great job on those seams!
Ann Rowley said... (7/14/06 12:02 PM) Reply
Very pretty blouse - congratulations. I wonder what size machine needle you were using, and was it new? Fine fabric like this usually needs a 70/10, and it needs to be new and sharp. I'm sure you friend will love her birthday present...
mrspenguin said... (7/14/06 11:34 AM) Reply
I've never seen this pattern company before and I have to say, your piece looks way better than what I would envision from the pattern illustration. It's beautiful and very today.
BSYMPLS said... (7/14/06 11:33 AM) Reply
Simple elegance! Beautiful blouse. Thanks for your very informative review.
Harriet Rogers said... (7/14/06 11:33 AM) Reply
This is really beautiful. Certainly, I think you should move your skill sets up to intermediate: this is far beyond advanced beginner. Your friend will love it, I'm sure. Thanks for tips on making this: very useful review.
Danvillegirl said... (7/14/06 5:21 AM) Reply
Very nice. I know your friend is going to love this.
jewelea said... (7/13/06 9:48 PM) Reply
To me it looks simple, elegant, and beautifully made.
ccris said... (7/13/06 8:58 PM) Reply
It's beautiful...........soo feminine! Nice job!
Sew_K said... (7/13/06 3:23 PM) Reply
Oh...this is a beautiful blouse and a beautiful sewing job you have done!!
drsue said... (7/13/06 2:00 PM) Reply
Quite exquisite! Amazing how you overcame your sewing machine limitations.
AliceB said... (7/13/06 1:59 PM) Reply
Very BEEEEautiful project for a beginning sew-er. You should be proud. :)
licarritc said... (7/13/06 1:27 PM) Reply
Gorgeous work! your friend should be thrilled!
sideseams said... (7/13/06 12:40 PM) Reply
Your blouse is absolutely beautiful! How nice of you to sew one for your friend.
Em's Summer said... (7/13/06 12:28 PM) Reply
So very pretty! And so well made, too! Great job and great review!
CarolynD said... (7/13/06 12:20 PM) Reply

CarolynD said... (7/13/06 12:19 PM) Reply
The pattern hangs pretty straight-There is a slight curve to it and I think it might be nice with even more of a curve at the waist. I pushed it in so it would photograph within the width of the background towel.
Liana said... (7/13/06 12:15 PM) Reply
This is beautiful! Such a lovely, summery look. Great job, especially with all the machine problems you had.
sewfan said... (7/13/06 12:07 PM) Reply
Your blouse is lovely! Much more elegant than you would picture from the pattern photo.
blue mooney said... (7/13/06 11:56 AM) Reply
This is so sweet both the blouse and the way you made it for a friend. I love it in the batiste.
SueV said... (7/13/06 11:47 AM) Reply
love it!!!! Gotta get it! thanks
Moxie said... (7/13/06 10:53 AM) Reply
I think your blouse looks very nice. Your seams look great. What a nice friend you are!
kmouse said... (7/13/06 10:48 AM) Reply
What an absolutely gorgeous blouse! When I think of heirloom sewing, this is what I like. Thanks for the tips on altering the length, etc. Sizing looks like it runs a little large but the ease is important. I guess I will have to be careful on that. I also loved Ann Smith's review and can see where this pattern will make up nicely in different fabrics. Looks like I will ordering this one and the Bridge Jacket.
Tiner W said... (7/13/06 10:34 AM) Reply
That's a beautiful blouse!
Modiste Madness said... (7/13/06 9:41 AM) Reply
Your blouse is just lovely!
Mary Stiefer said... (7/13/06 9:04 AM) Reply
A beautiful creation. Your friend will certainly love it and you will have given her a birthday to remember.
MissNancy said... (7/13/06 8:28 AM) Reply
This is lovely. Boy do I wish I were your friend! The shirt looks fitted through the waist, but the pattern pic shows straight sides. Did you modify the pattern or is that the way it is hanging?
fuzzygalore said... (7/13/06 4:48 AM) Reply
Oh, an old Kenmore... You know, I just spent something like $150 on a new Janome, and I'm -extremely- happy with it. You don't have to spend thousands on something electronic to have your sewing transformed... and if you're interested in knits, you need something that works. I'm sure you wouldn't put up with tools like this at work, you shouldn't make yourself miserable when you're attempting to have fun :-).

Besides that, I love this shirt. Yes, it'd be delicious in silk velvet, but so would anything. This looks very simple and very cool, it sounds like you haven't taken off into too many alterations, I'm sure your friend will be thrilled.

brrmm said... (7/13/06 4:43 AM) Reply
Beeeyoootiful ! Classic, stylish, crisp and clean. Very nice indeed and you did a great job. Sure your friend will love it.

by: petro