Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 2500 (Esther Williams swimsuit)

Reviewed by:fuzzygalore

About fuzzygalorestar
FRANCE
Member since: 1/16/05
Posted on:7/18/06 4:04 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Swimwear

Sweater knit fabrics

RetroModelSari said... (5/7/07 9:05 AM) Reply
I didnīt even knew this pattern exists!!! I might try it myself with your recommendations!
creative1 said... (8/26/06 11:59 PM) Reply
You mentioned cotton/nylon swimsuit elastic. I used once cotton swim elastic ( am not sure with nylon or poly). It was nightmare -- stiff, heavy and made the swimsuit totally uncomfortable. Once replaced with a nice soft one the suit is now my favourite. I think your uncomfort is not due to the fabric but more like the elastic issue.
nicegirl said... (7/19/06 11:01 AM) Reply
I think it's cute! To fix the floppiness, have you considered seam ripping the band/strap from the body starting at the underarm to a couple inches above the neckline and taking some fabric out of the body of the suit (i.e., a wedge shaped piece about an inch wide at the top of the neckline tapering to nothing)? Since my only experience is with my small bust that may not translate to a full bust, but you could try a pin-fitting first to see if it would help.
LauraM62 said... (7/19/06 8:13 AM) Reply
I've made this suit, with high cut legs, a couple years ago, was just thinking yesterday I need to make it again. I don't get the flappy front - but I just used a size larger on the bust area for me, and you might want to use slightly less elastic. I used a nice stretchy swimsuit fabric too. I love my suit.
Mbarkle said... (7/19/06 7:52 AM) Reply
It looks great on you in the photo. I would say to let it age or make it again in a softer fabric. It's really hard to judge how much stretch/how much comfort the fabric has until you make it up, unfortunately. I have made this and like it, but mine is way too low in the front. Like you, I need to shorten the elastic along the top front and lengthen the little tab that makes the gathers. I bet the next one you make will be perfect! Umm, are you the same fuzzygalore that sells Crystal Palace yarn?
kethry said... (7/18/06 3:30 PM) Reply
I really like this pattern. I hope you give it another go - it is a flattering suit on you!
bunz said... (7/18/06 7:58 AM) Reply
Well, Esther defiitely would have had the girls firmly uplifted and closely held. And no french cut on the legs either!! Very unusual that a KS does so poorly........
brrmm said... (7/18/06 4:16 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. Apart from the bust area it looks like a terrific swimsuit in a great colour. Can you maybe pull the "floppy" fabric and tuck it into the straps and then maybe apply some clear elastic to that? I think that may save it and keep it from gaping as well. Dont give up on it yet....it looks so nice. As far as elastic and lycra goes; I find they wear out in just one or two seasons. If you got 10yrs from the last pair that may have been good fortune.

by: sewnaomi