Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6571 (Misses Knit Dresses, Tank Top,)

Reviewed by:drsue

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops    Skirts

Sweater knit fabrics

Elizabeth made this said... (6/19/10 11:35 PM) Reply
The dress is such a pretty print! The colors are totally gorgeous.
Beech FiveEight said... (8/8/08 0:28 AM) Reply
Dear Dr. Sue, This is a great look. Simple and fun. The patterns you review, the sheer volume of dresses you've made, it's very impressive. This is a winner.
AnneM said... (1/25/07 10:52 AM) Reply
Great dress, obviously a nice fabric choice.
dreamdesigner said... (8/15/06 0:29 AM) Reply
I agree that it's better you DIDN'T match the backs!
SarahWeb said... (7/31/06 11:51 AM) Reply
Your dress is fantastic. I bought this fabric also, and I guess I wasn't that worried about the length of the repeat (I plan to make a t-shirt). I know that when I get that fabric out to cut it, I will need to think carefully about placement. I do love what you did with the fabric--the long simple style of the dress shows of the wonderful print.
milwaukee_kelly said... (7/30/06 3:01 PM) Reply
Gorgeous print! Great little dress.
Sewnla said... (7/29/06 3:44 PM) Reply
Absolutely a beautiful dress. Love the style and the fabric. You did a fantastic job.
ryan's mom said... (7/29/06 9:40 AM) Reply
You created such a lovely dress, and a great garment for this print. A print like this would befuddle me as far as what garment to create with it. I sure am glad you and many others here have much more fashion sense than me and are such an inspiration for using prints.
kmouse said... (7/29/06 8:49 AM) Reply
I love it! Simple lines, great fabric. When people ask where to buy great fabric EOS is close to the top of my list. It's just a stunner.
Katharine in BXL said... (7/29/06 3:38 AM) Reply
Love this dress! The colors re breathtaking. What a good idea to put in a shelf bra. My DMIL is a tall & very slim person and lives in RTW non-shelf bra tank dresses (even paisley ones) all summer, and she's older than you. Go on & wear yours w pride, California Girl.
fuzzygalore said... (7/29/06 2:22 AM) Reply
The print is great, I love the colors, and you did a fabulous job of non-matching. I understand your issues about showing too much, but frankly with this weather I'd walk around in my undies if I thought I could get away with it, and those who don't like it can look elsewhere. It's true that swim cups might improve things from your point of view, but they'd hardly feel good. Your dress looks very classy, so think of your comfort and just wear it!
Leora said... (7/29/06 1:41 AM) Reply
That is a double take dress. So Pretty!
Vonnevo said... (7/29/06 1:31 AM) Reply
Fabulous drsue! Great use of a large print fabric. My guess is RTW would make something similar with a print such as this.
Schnauzer said... (7/29/06 0:35 AM) Reply
A very pretty dress drsue! Your work is always nicely constructed. I bought this pattern last week in preparation for our upcoming summer so your review is very timely! Thankyou.
jnamcd said... (7/28/06 11:52 PM) Reply
I love this dress--and the placement of the print is superb! I love the instructions on the shelf bra too--excellent review!
jewelea said... (7/28/06 10:44 PM) Reply
I love the dress (and wish I were merely middle aged rather than 60 and could still entertain thoughts about wearing such a style). FYI, Threads had an article, New Rules for Large Prints, in the APRIL/MAY 2005 #118 issue. But I don't think you could have done better.
BjP said... (7/28/06 10:27 PM) Reply
This looks fabulous! I only wish I could wear something like that again. I'll just have to admire it!
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (7/28/06 9:36 PM) Reply
Looks really nice, cool and comfortable, Sue.
Jennifer shaw said... (7/28/06 8:24 PM) Reply
This is soo pretty and perfect for you! Thanks for your review.
CarolynGM said... (7/28/06 7:00 PM) Reply
Gosh, I adore that print and the way you laid the pattern out so perfectly. Thanks for the info on how you did the shelf bra -- I might use that some time for a cami.
Debbie Cook said... (7/28/06 7:00 PM) Reply
Love this dress!! Wish I was really, really flat so I had the option of going sans bra. See, the grass is *always* greener, isn't it. I bet it looks superb on you with or without appropriate undergarments and it definitely looks hoity-toity (a/k/a expensive!).
Sherril Miller said... (7/28/06 6:08 PM) Reply
I like it and not matching is good. Susan, do you really want to be a 20 something again even IF you could have that body back?
Linda F said... (7/28/06 4:20 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress! You always give very helpful reviews.
Nata said... (7/28/06 3:32 PM) Reply
DrSue, it's a very nice looking dress.
Terri Smith said... (7/28/06 2:51 PM) Reply
Your dress is adorable, and you will look great in it. Age is just a number. Thanks for the tips on SHELF bra and layout design as both are very important.
jemgirlca said... (7/28/06 2:21 PM) Reply
I love your dress, you did a great job with the print. I have this same fabric and haven't been able to figure out what to make with it. I think I only have enough for a top. Yours looks fab!!
Riordan said... (7/28/06 2:01 PM) Reply
Very pretty dress--the print layout is perfect. (I always love reading your reviews and seeing your work. I take your recommendations to heart, because my figure adjustments are similar to the ones you describe, although on a bigger scale.) Thanks for the review!
drsue said... (7/28/06 1:57 PM) Reply
OPPS, I should have said "shelf bra" not "self bra." I do make the most amuzing typos. I'll try to post a pic later. I wore the dress out to an appointment today, sans bra, and actually I don't think I looked as bad as I thought I did the other day when I tried it on. You know how it is sometimes when you try on something you just finished. It does look better with swimwear cups inside and the SHELF bra holds them in place.
cindyann said... (7/28/06 1:51 PM) Reply
Thanks so much Drsue for reviewing this dress. I've considered cutting this out several times but have been concerned about the bust issue. My middle aged bust couldn't handle it either. Do you think using swim cups in the shelf bra would make a difference? I've used them successfully in swimwear and in a cami. I'm also glad you mentioned the wrap dress pattern, as I've considered that but was concerned about the shape. Your dress is very, very cute.
Moxie said... (7/28/06 1:40 PM) Reply
You always make really nice garments and I love reading your reviews. I doubt RTW puts as much thought into pattern placement as you did. If you have the time, I would love seeing the self bra up close.
Lori V said... (7/28/06 1:25 PM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful, the care in the layout shows. I think you will impress the hoity-toity shops.
Mary Stiefer said... (7/28/06 1:24 PM) Reply
Love this. I really like the way you set up the layout. It looks fabulous. EOS does have beautiful fabrics.
JaneH said... (7/28/06 1:01 PM) Reply
Your care in the layout of the garment made this sooo beautiful.
Lisette said... (7/28/06 12:56 PM) Reply
Wonderful dress. I love the way the back turned out also. Maybe I'm not looking but it seems that there are not many RTW with big prints, which makes it harder for us when looking for inspiration.
nicegirl said... (7/28/06 12:20 PM) Reply
I love the fabric! That came out wonderfully. I hear you on looking way too flat without a bra.
Felicity Jane said... (7/28/06 12:03 PM) Reply
I think it is great. RTW does not match very often - over in UK they can't seem to match little prints! I made a similar style in a madra type cotton for my holiday but bottled out taking it at the last minute as also thought too young style for me.
Kay Y said... (7/28/06 12:00 PM) Reply
The care you took considering how the print would play out in your very simple dress makes it both one-of-a-kind and very successful. Your review and Debra H's also posted today are great reminders not to skip this important design decision-point.
pterion said... (7/28/06 12:00 PM) Reply
Love it! It's a really cute style and the fabric is very eyecatching. The shelf bra is a great idea and I love that you included instructions on how to do it - I'll be printing them out and putting them in my 'how-to' notebook. Thanks!
BeckyC said... (7/28/06 11:58 AM) Reply
Adorable summer dress! It does look like you bought it in a "hoity-toity" boutique! You did a great job working with such a large print on such a tiny dress.
Seaspur said... (7/28/06 11:41 AM) Reply
Absolutely stunning dress. You did a great job placing the print.
cecelia said... (7/28/06 11:40 AM) Reply
The dress looks nice, especially for the large print. I too am petite, but petite plus, and bought fabric that turned out to have a larger than life print--not sure what to do with it yet--maybe this pattern would work--thanks!

PatternRunway 1301