Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Sandra Betzina Vest & Skirt (Sandra Betzina Coat)

Reviewed by:Rennie Ashby

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Vests    Skirts

Sweater knit fabrics

Lisa Laree said... (10/21/03 6:18 AM) Reply
Thanks, Rennie! Ann Smith told me basically the same thing. I'm mostly worried about the bulk at the wrist and neckline...but I think I'll at least try some samples and see how it looks. You two have been a great encouragement!
Rennie Ashby said... (10/20/03 3:25 PM) Reply
Lisa, sorry for the delay in my response. I'm shamefully behind in my email. Yes I did the 'french seam detail'. It's really just a pleat stitched at the seam and folded down. Try it on a scrap first but it may not add as much bulk as you think. I've even seen the coat with piping sewn in this french seam/pleat.
Lisa Laree said... (10/3/03 9:15 PM) Reply
Rennie -- I've got this pattern and some lovely coating; but I'm fretting over the details. Did you do Sandra's french seam detail on the shoulder/sleeve seam? I'm a bit afraid the coating is too heavy/bulky for that technique, but thought I'd check around first before I cut anything out...
said... (10/31/02 10:39 AM) Reply

This has been so much FUN and I haven't even been to the ball yet! That's this weekend. Cinderella maybe just a fable but it's true the right clothes can certainly make a woman feel more attractive and confident.

Bettina, I'm not familiar with the Metro pattern but I'm just under 5'4" if that is any help. Also, in Ann Smith's review she says the pattern was originally a Vogue designer pattern and offered the option of making it jacket length. This might be an option (or car coat length) if you are afraid it will dwarf you.

said... (10/31/02 1:47 AM) Reply
Rennie, all I can say is wow. You have created yourself the most incredible outfit for your occasion. Enjoy!
said... (10/30/02 8:39 PM) Reply
Rennie, LOVE LOVE the coat too, and your special touches, like the button, are just marvelous. They should put you in Town and Country! Nan
said... (10/30/02 8:33 PM) Reply
Rennie, your combination of fabric and trim is inspired and inspiring! Thanks for another great review, yours are always a fun read!
said... (10/30/02 5:57 PM) Reply
I'm back after being distracted and dazzled by the beauties of Chapter One. Amazing amazing amazing. You are too gorgeous. I sure hope PC appreciates the gem on his arm at the ball!
said... (10/30/02 5:46 PM) Reply
Rennie, your coat looks great, very glamorous. Iím wondering if I can wear this style too, because Iím only 5Ē 2í. What do you think? Iím working on the Metro skirt and used size S, but it was too large for me.
said... (10/30/02 4:52 PM) Reply
That coat is elegant and flattering-and I would never have thought of using that pattern for a formal coat. WOW!!!
said... (10/30/02 3:52 PM) Reply
Very nice, Rennie! The coat is quite elegant and looks wonderful on you. Your button solution is wonderful; I will have to keep it in mind for future reference. Keep up the good work! The results are stunning and your reviews are fun to read.
said... (10/30/02 3:51 PM) Reply
So very beautiful and elegant on you. Your talent shines through.
said... (10/30/02 2:30 PM) Reply
RENNIE!!!! you will be the queen of the evening with these new clothes and the red bag is delicious!!! beautiful, congrats of your accomplishments :-)
said... (10/30/02 1:59 PM) Reply
I bet you collected your share of admiring glances wearing that! I like that the coat did not dwarf you...you are so tiny, and you can still tell even with the coat on! (Sorry I couldn't think of how else to word that!)
said... (10/30/02 1:52 PM) Reply
Rennie, I made this coat to go over my Helena dress also. They work together quite well, don't they? Your button looks fantastic.
said... (10/30/02 1:16 PM) Reply
Wow, Rennie, it's really beautiful! I love your hand crafted button!
said... (10/30/02 1:07 PM) Reply
Your outfit is gorgous, and your reviews are a real treat. Thank you!
said... (10/30/02 1:00 PM) Reply
Oh Rennie, your outfit is stunning! Thanks for the two wonderful reviews. I agree with Gigi, you are putting the rest of us to shame. Keep it up!
said... (10/30/02 12:54 PM) Reply
Just gorgeous Rennie! You are putting the rest of us to shame! Hmmm, wonder if I can whip up a new outfit in time for Thanksgiving?

by: PrettyTall...