Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6483 (Misses Tops)

Reviewed by:BeckyC

About BeckyCstar
MN USA
Member since: 5/8/04
Posted on:7/28/06 10:49 AM
Last Updated:7/28/06 5:44 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 32 people
PattyGee said... (2/22/12 2:26 PM) Reply
Wish I had done this on my tank - Silhouette Pattern #500. Used bias tape instead, I'll have to order some 3/8 inch petersham tape. Thanks for the very indepth review. Beautiful top, BTW!
kareninwisconsin said... (8/23/11 8:43 PM) Reply
It looks lovely! I think I need a ham now.
Lucy in Virginia said... (5/21/10 11:08 AM) Reply
Lovely fabric, great-looking top! Thank you so much for the tip on replacing the facings with petersham. I have this and now that the weather is getting hotter will try to make it using your tip.
Athene said... (4/13/08 4:15 AM) Reply
Just looking for reviews on patterns I have for summer tops. Glad I came across this one - your top looks really nice and I'm going to be buying the 3/8 Petersham to try out your technique.
kit18 said... (7/18/07 1:04 PM) Reply
Your analysis has headed me in the direction of Petersham and adjusted fit. Thanks!
AnneM said... (1/25/07 10:50 AM) Reply
Nice top. I was working w/ this pattern last summer also, but didn't get it right yet. You did.
BeckyC said... (7/30/06 10:49 AM) Reply
Lahn, The Petersham is 100% Rayon and is very soft. I was worried about irritation around the armholes too, but there hasn't been any. -- Becky
Lhan said... (7/30/06 1:43 AM) Reply
That neckline does sit beautifully. I want mine to do that, and will try your technique. It is a funny thing about petersham - my mother and grandmother used to use it on waistbands as a standard, and then it fell out of favour when interfacings improved so much. I would have thought it was a bit stiff for armholes - does it chafe at all? Probably the petersham of today is a whole new deal as well. Thanks for the very useful review.
cweb said... (7/29/06 8:45 AM) Reply
Thanks for the tip on using the petersham, I have never seen this before and just purchased this pattern. Also, thanks for the photos on how to apply and the finished edge. That does look better than facings.
Danvillegirl said... (7/29/06 7:35 AM) Reply
Lovely top. Great idea about Petersham, your directions for applying were very helpful.
Sew4Fun said... (7/29/06 6:05 AM) Reply
Pretty top. I like your tip about the Petersham.
PixieCat said... (7/29/06 5:51 AM) Reply
Your top is beautiful! I don't like facings either and the petersham is a lovely finish.
Dee2 said... (7/28/06 11:23 PM) Reply
Excellent review!! Your top looks beautiful. Your use of the Petersham to finish the neckline & armholes is very innovative & I want to try it.
BeckyC said... (7/28/06 11:10 PM) Reply
Sewfrequent -- This top could be fully lined. I'd recommend looking at Connie Long's book, "Easy Guide to Sewing Linings" to see how one would approach lining this top. I think it would be easy. To everyone -- Thank you for your kind words about my top!
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (7/28/06 9:32 PM) Reply
beautiful top, Becky...great job.
bunz said... (7/28/06 7:36 PM) Reply
You look lovely and COOL:-) Great tip on the petersham -- maybe put it in "tips".
Learn To Sew said... (7/28/06 6:38 PM) Reply
Really cute, Becky. I like it. The neckline does lay down nicely.
Modiste Madness said... (7/28/06 6:14 PM) Reply
Great summer outfit! Love the petersham idea. Thanks for sharing it.
sewfrequent said... (7/28/06 6:08 PM) Reply
Would it be possible to make this pattern fully lined? If you did that, would you leave a side-seam open to turn?
Riordan said... (7/28/06 2:08 PM) Reply
Your top is beautiful! Thank you for the petersham facing tutorial--I'm eager to try it. Your neckline and armholes look absolutely perfect!
Elemenopeo said... (7/28/06 1:27 PM) Reply
Thanks for the step by steps on petersham facings. The top looks lovely and goes so well with the capris. Enjoy your picnic!
pbrenneraz said... (7/28/06 1:22 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for sharing the details on your finishing technique, it does look very professional, but doable. Great review!
Rhoda K said... (7/28/06 12:52 PM) Reply
I agree on all the above - I don't like facings either. Great tip and your top is really cute! I have this pattern too, but haven't made it yet. Good motivation here.
pterion said... (7/28/06 12:12 PM) Reply
Lovely top and very helpful review.
cecelia said... (7/28/06 11:35 AM) Reply
The top matches the capris nicely--love the fabric and your Petersham treatment on the neck and arms, very classy!
Mary Stiefer said... (7/28/06 11:12 AM) Reply
Great little top and the petersham is a great idea.
Ronda Rae said... (7/28/06 10:59 AM) Reply
Great tip about the Petersham. I don't like facings either for thesame reason! I'll have to check it out next year when I sew some sleeveless tops for summer.
sideseams said... (7/28/06 10:58 AM) Reply
I love your outfit. What a great idea to use the petersham at the neckline and armholes! Your top looks better then RTW!
Lori V said... (7/28/06 10:57 AM) Reply
Very pretty top, great tip on the petersham.

by: Jstarr4250