Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS
In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine

Posted on:10/31/02 0:43 AM
Last Updated:11/2/02 3:55 PM

See other patterns in this category: Tops    Activewear    Pants
said... (11/8/02 7:31 PM) Reply
Karla, this is your daughter. Great pants! Just a little tip for everyone out there: I have discovered that I would rather sleep in them than do any sort of strenuous exercise. This may account for the reason that Mom had to use a bigger back on the pants. But, I'm sure they are very yoga-appropriate if you choose this activity. To each his own, I guess.
said... (11/7/02 9:59 PM) Reply
Email from the DD today: "The pants fit perfectly! I have been living in them since I got them yesterday. More later..." I love it when a plan comes together!
said... (11/5/02 9:09 PM) Reply
Sarah, I bought a Prym eyelet kit at Joanns. The eyelets have an opening of about 1/4", which gives enough room for bulkier drawstrings. (I used oval athletic shoelaces from the grocery store.) The kit comes with a little device which, used in conjunction with a hammer, installs the eyelets.
said... (11/5/02 8:15 PM) Reply
Karla, thanks for a great review. I would like to try the eyelets as well. Did you use a special tool to put them in?
said... (11/4/02 9:31 PM) Reply
"Can any one tell me do I need this one too? " Rennie, maybe you should wait for Gigi to review this one. Since she's using both patterns, her input would be your best guide......on the other hand....Gigi bought both of them, so why shouldn't the rest of us? ;-)
said... (11/4/02 11:57 AM) Reply
Love these pants and the review! I've made the Simplicity version and I'm very happy with the fit there. Can any one tell me do I need this one too? What's a patternaholic to do?
said... (11/2/02 6:03 PM) Reply
Karla, the pants look great! I have some of the Simplicity pants cut out in purple c/l too.
said... (11/2/02 1:54 AM) Reply
You know, this pattern reminds me of some poly knit pants I wore in the 8th grade...they were (gulp) red... of course, no one called them yoga pants then...
said... (11/2/02 1:50 AM) Reply
Karla this is a great pattern. Your review is really helpful, I'd like to try the eyelets myself.
said... (11/2/02 1:12 AM) Reply
Thanks for all the comments, everyone. Hope to get a picture tomorrow morning before I pack these off to the DD. She might need them...temperatures plunged to below 80 degrees today! Deepika, I call these "yoga pants" because they remind me of the RTW pants marketed for yoga wear. In a dressier- looking fabric than the one I used, they'll be fine for the office. Marita, you are right: purple makes me a little nervous. I love dark, dark purple (eggplant? aubergine?), but my bargain cotton/lycra is a little bolder than I usually wear. I was willing to overlook that minor flaw because it was on the $1/yard table at my local Walmart "boutique". My color convictions wavered when I was that price. Obviously, I can be bought! ;-)
said... (10/31/02 6:37 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review Karla, the patternphoto look very good, may even be better than the ones Gigi made, wait and see, I distinctly have a feeling that purple is not your favorite color?
said... (10/31/02 11:58 AM) Reply
Oh thank you Karla, I have this on my wish list. I have been doing Yoga Fit at my YMCA and these look cute and comfy! Problem is, I have to mail order now. My local retailer is closing out her KS (at 40% off! -I've been stocking up), but no new Winter ones.
said... (10/31/02 10:13 AM) Reply
Congrats on your review Karla... I agree its not easy to review a nice KS pattern before Gigi does ;-) Your review is so helpful and I am anxiously waiting for the mailman to bring my sewingpatterns order which contains this pattern! I noticed that you call them yoga pants. Does that mean that these cant be worn to work?
said... (10/31/02 8:45 AM) Reply
Karla, you beat me to it! I bought this pattern two weeks ago and the fabric's been patiently waiting but alas, no time! I am going to make these to replace my old and tired leggings that I wear for exercise.
said... (10/31/02 8:40 AM) Reply
Nan, Gigi's Famous Lounge Pants inspired me to try this pattern. The look is almost identical, but I am more comfortable altering KS to fit my absentee DD, so i used this pattern instead. It gave me an opportunity to add to my KS collection and (ta-da!), I was able to review a KS pattern BEFORE Gigi got to it. ;-) Not an easy feat, let me tell you....
said... (10/31/02 3:07 AM) Reply
Karla, these look like great pants. I wonder how they compare to Gigi's famous Simplicity lounge pants?
said... (10/31/02 0:50 AM) Reply
Karla, as always, I loved reading your review. What a way with words you have! Can't wait for the pic, as I'm sure these pants are fabulous.

All About Linings