Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5102 (Retro Jacket)

Reviewed by:sailor girl

About sailor girlstar
MN USA
Member since: 11/17/05
Posted on:7/30/06 3:32 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Needs More Info by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

AnneM said... (1/25/07 11:15 AM) Reply
It looks very nice on the dress form! Too bad it doesn't work for you.
Jane S said... (8/1/06 8:27 PM) Reply
I'm 5'8" and curvy and found the same things you did when I tried this jacket...shoulders way too wide, too much bumpy droopy fabric on the front of my body, just not flattering. Sorry you had to go through this experience too.
JaneH said... (8/1/06 11:29 AM) Reply
I think that with a narrower shoulder and a longer jacket length would add the elongation you are looking for. Even though you may be petite, the lengthen diagonal will made you look tall. Yes, those synthetic mystery fabrics tend to have stiff fibers that are not pressable.
cathy45 said... (7/31/06 11:43 PM) Reply
I recently read Tjhe Pocketbook Stylist by Kendra Farr (recommended here) & it advises fuller-busted gals avoid double breasted jackets--adds width. The jacket has nice diagonal lines so maybe in a softer fabric with more drape than a suede.
RuthieSews said... (7/31/06 3:21 AM) Reply
As the shoulders are too wide, I think you should disregard their advice in future, and make to fit your shoulders and add extra in a FBA. However the point where the fronts overlap is quite high up which may not be a good look on a larger bust. Personally I avoid this look as it tends to make me look blocky.
fiberfanatic said... (7/30/06 10:22 PM) Reply
Sorry this didn't work out for you. I like the style, but I prefer my jackets w/ interfacing, so I haven't tried this. I know what you mean about natural fibers. Jeanette
carolynw said... (7/30/06 4:14 PM) Reply
Hope this does not come up twice - typed it once before and it was "lost". I am sorry it did not work out for you - may be you should try with a natural fabric. If your material is similar to what I got then nothing is going to look right in it. Loved it on the bolt and then found it is a stinker to work with - bought lots too as it was a terrific sale - now I know why. My first jacket out of this was also a wadder but was OK on the next try with different material
carolynw said... (7/30/06 4:10 PM) Reply

cecelia said... (7/30/06 4:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I'm a petite plus and can't wear anything double breasted. I'm going to try one of her dresses. The model is very, very thin--so it's easy to think it'll work, but maybe a different fabric would have worked better--don't give up!

by: monicawood...