Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7908 (Claire Shaeffer's Jacket)

Reviewed by:Kay Y

About Kay Ystarstarstarstar
ON CANADA
Member since: 11/21/04
Posted on:10/30/06 7:50 PM
Last Updated:11/5/06 5:18 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 48 people
nanneke said... (5/18/07 1:03 PM) Reply
This looks really professional! Beautiful style, beautiful work! When I first saw your picture, I wanted to make the jacket myself, but after reading your review I realised this is way to difficult for me! Which is good and not good at the same time, Thank you! Update: I did make that jacket in 2007 ca. At the moment (2014) the lining completely fell apart, I took it out and will repair it.
SewTwin said... (11/21/06 3:31 AM) Reply
Is this not an Armani or Yves St Laurent? I marvel at your talent and perserverance! I am sure they wqould love to have you on their teams.This will be difficult to surpass this! Thanks for the great written detail and excellent photos!
KiwiWendy said... (11/6/06 10:47 PM) Reply
ohhhhh, your jacket is to die for! Love your review and all the details you've provided.
dreamdesigner said... (11/6/06 9:26 PM) Reply
Ohhhh had to come back at look at your jacket after looking at your PMB skirt you just reviewed. I don't think you had the buttons on on your original review -- maybe I'm crazy??? anyway lovely! I love the cowl neck blouse underneath, -- did you make it? Pattern?
dreamdesigner said... (11/6/06 9:21 PM) Reply
Ohhhh had to come back at look at your jacket after looking at your PMB skirt you just reviewed. Love the buttons. Speaking of buttons, when I was in Ann Taylor the other day, they had some interesting covered ones . The best way I can thing to describe them is that they were a cover button inside/on top off another covered one. If anyone has any insight into how these are made I'd appreciate it. - TIA! I love the cowl neck blouse underneath, -- did you make it? Pattern?
Karen6790 said... (11/6/06 10:39 AM) Reply
Wow. (I think that covers it.) I just bought one of the Claire Shaeffer jacket patterns at the Vogue sale and your review has given me hope that it's achievable. Beautiful result - well worth the time you took over it.
KarmenG said... (11/6/06 9:51 AM) Reply
Kay - this is a fabulous ensemble. You will terrific wearing it. Love the button choice.
yorkshire lass said... (11/6/06 8:45 AM) Reply
Wonderfully helpful review. Hope you don't mind if I print this out to help with an upcoming jacket project. I keep looking at this jacket in the catalogue nd would love to make it. Maybe when I have a bit more experience I will. Yours is just stunning.
Nancywin said... (11/5/06 10:52 PM) Reply
Beautiful Jacket - and I love the buttons. Thanks for the informative review
lmg said... (11/5/06 4:04 PM) Reply
Wow. Just gorgeous. Thank you for all the tips and pictures! These are very helpfult for me.
Georgene said... (11/5/06 11:04 AM) Reply
Thanks for the photos of your process. Great results with fusibles for all the interior work. I posted about a covered button source a while back at the Sewing Divas blog...Pat does not have a website, very old school.
Sue Anfang said... (11/5/06 10:18 AM) Reply
Just gorgeous as are all of your tailoring projects! The interlining may be called craft fleece or batting...sometimes we get needlepunch fleece in but the stuff I have seen is very thick and stiff. Sue
PattyU said... (11/5/06 7:04 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Don't change the buttons. I love the current ones with the fabric. Great review. Thanks.
nancy2001 said... (11/4/06 10:18 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, superbly made and so flattering on you.
Leslie Bonner said... (11/4/06 8:46 PM) Reply
Wonderful review. Beautiful jacket. You did great.
Vonnevo said... (11/4/06 4:11 PM) Reply
Superb :))) Thank you for a wonderful informative review.
LBJ said... (11/4/06 3:21 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket. Thanks for the great review.
AnneM said... (11/1/06 1:00 PM) Reply
I just love this style. I bought the pattern, but I don't know if I'll ever actually make it. Your jacket looks very nice. Thanks for all of the information.
dreamdesigner said... (10/31/06 11:58 AM) Reply
Lovely, I agree about "the pocket depth not being in the same proportion to the rest of the jacket" Love the reto look
OP Gal said... (10/31/06 10:29 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Keep going...
Jan B. said... (10/31/06 9:51 AM) Reply
Fabulous! Seeing all your steps, it's no wonder your work is so exceptional. Great review--thank you for the tutorial.
christinawo said... (10/31/06 9:31 AM) Reply
I enjoyed your review. I also just finished this jacket and it took me one year! It's at the cleaners getting a good pressing since I just could make the bright pink herring bone wool behave. I think I should have used a lighter weight fabric. If I make this pattern again, your comment and length changes will help me. I lengthen the jacket but left the bottom the same. I like the way you dealt with the bottom. Thanks! Chris
cathy45 said... (10/31/06 9:08 AM) Reply
Your work is exquisite. The review so thorough & pics so clear it's like a mini-class.
jbsew said... (10/31/06 9:05 AM) Reply
Beautiful and great review
CSM--Carla said... (10/31/06 8:39 AM) Reply
Kay, This was a beautiful thorough review. Wonderful pictorial explanations. This is way beyond what I am able to do. You inspire me. Thanks for the step by step walk through and introduction to the CS patterns. Carla
carolynw said... (10/31/06 8:26 AM) Reply
It may have taken you along time but what an outstanding result - hope you get the little bits finished and wear it soon!!
Nancy K said... (10/31/06 8:19 AM) Reply
I like this jacket better in the your fabric than the blue Schaeffer used. It is a very chic jacket which isn't really apparent in the catalogue. Just gorgeous. Her patterns are worth buying for her instructions and your review is a great adendum. Its like having a great book. I have a pants pattern from her and used the instructions for Hot Patterns.
MarilynB said... (10/31/06 6:51 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for such a detailed review. Your jacket is beautiful.
Sew4Fun said... (10/31/06 5:51 AM) Reply
Kay, thank you for such a wonderful review, particularly showing all the inside details. I use the same fleece in my jackets and I too haven't a clue what to call it. :) Wonderful stuff though.
Danvillegirl said... (10/31/06 5:13 AM) Reply
Kay as always a very informative and helpful review. Lovely jacket, the fabric has aged to perfection.
ChrisK said... (10/31/06 2:17 AM) Reply
Thank you for this very detailed review and the photos of all the stages, they are very helpful. The jacket is fabulous, you should get it finished now and enjoy wearing it and receiving all the compliments that are bound to follow.
Liana said... (10/30/06 11:40 PM) Reply
Kay, what a beautiful jacket, and your review is so helpful! I love to see all the "secrets" you add inside your jackets. Can't wait to see your buttons!
Margie T said... (10/30/06 11:17 PM) Reply
what a beautiful jacket. It's worth all the effort.
Elona said... (10/30/06 11:11 PM) Reply
What a great tutorial! It's so nice of you to post many, many photos of the process. And the result is lovely.
Karen said... (10/30/06 10:58 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. Very nice jacket. Well done!
Deepika said... (10/30/06 10:46 PM) Reply
Kay, I cant stop looking at the jacket. What beautiful work. Imagine how good you will look and feel when you finally wear it. I wish I could sew jacket as well as yours. Thanks for such a helpful review.
2muchfabric said... (10/30/06 9:56 PM) Reply
Wow--impressive jacket and such a great detailed review. Your photos are very helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience.
hongkongshopper said... (10/30/06 9:52 PM) Reply
Thanks Kay for the detailed review with lots of pics. Beautiful work. I have the pattern but I think it won't be made up in a hurry! With the fleece, did you preshrink it? Obviously you don't think it will shrink at the cleaners. I would be scared it would shrink.
Mermie said... (10/30/06 9:51 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket and your review is a tutorial. Wonderful review and great work on the jacket.
BeckyC said... (10/30/06 9:36 PM) Reply
You've made an absolutely gorgeous jacket! The fabric and design lines are wonderful together. Thank you so much for the detailed review. I feel like running out and buying this pattern just to follow your instructions!
RobynB said... (10/30/06 8:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for taking the time to write such a great review. Your jacket is superb, and well worth the time invested. You can't get that sort of result from a rush job! I love the shaping of the jacket. Would love to see a pic of you wearing it when it's finished!
Laurieo said... (10/30/06 8:49 PM) Reply
I always love too look at your reviews just to marvel at the beautiful work you do on the sleeves. I've often wondered how you achieved such perfect sleevecaps. Thanks for showing me how. As always, you've done a fantastic job. Thank you for taking the time to show what you did in such detail.
maryfrana said... (10/30/06 8:41 PM) Reply
Wonderful review and this jacket is so stylish. Well worth making. I'm glad I'm not the only one who leaves the buttons forever.
Englebert said... (10/30/06 8:05 PM) Reply
Kay, I *love* this jacket! Thank you for your excellent review!
CarolynGM said... (10/30/06 8:02 PM) Reply
Fabulous review, Kay. The review with the pictures is almost like a course in tailoring. I especially like the way you molded your undercollar. What kind of fusible hair canvas do you use? Please finish it soon and model it for us.

Understanding Sheer Fabrics