Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8280 (Galaxy Dress Inspiration)

Reviewed by:Erica B.

About Erica B.starstarstarstar
AL
Member since: 6/6/06
Posted on:9/12/06 9:11 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 6 people    Very Helpful by 31 people
janella said... (2/5/07 5:47 PM) Reply
well.. I think that you did this pattern justice!! Wow! I've been looking at it in the pattern book but couldn't imagine what it would look like made up!
Figgy said... (1/18/07 8:31 AM) Reply
I'm only a beginner, but when I see work like yours I wish I had discovered the joys of sewing 20 years ago!. You did an unbelievable job and you look beautiful in it!
Ziggy said... (1/16/07 3:16 PM) Reply
Wow, yours looks so cool. I just finished the dress with sleeves, and lined it, too, but not the skirt, just the arms and bodice. I didn't think think this was an easy pattern, either. Had to really pay attention. I like the stright hem, but wasn't too keen on the shoulder caps. Love yours, though. They look great on your dress in Black. Great Job!
ChristineX said... (12/9/06 11:09 PM) Reply
Sweet dress!! I'm going to have to get that pattern. I like your style!!
SouthernStitch said... (11/15/06 1:44 PM) Reply
Thank you for reviewing this. It's a current weddig dress possibility for me. You look so sassy in this.
LMJ said... (10/6/06 7:59 AM) Reply
love your dress - help! cannot work out when to join together the 2 flange sections!
sewgreat said... (9/27/06 12:36 PM) Reply
Erica, were you happy with the quality of the fabric you got from Fashion Fabric Club? Also, did you get any more fabric from them, and how long did it take to get it and were you pleased with the quality of it. I have just complied me a list of wools to order from them and was concerned with the quality. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Very Much, Cynthia Dickinson
sandrasdaughter said... (9/26/06 8:12 AM) Reply
Oh My! This is sooo sharp! I have been looking for a dress to wear to my husbands ordination. This is it! Beautiful job :-)
Amber in Norfolk said... (9/20/06 3:10 PM) Reply
You look gorgeous! I love the dress.
dreamdesigner said... (9/16/06 3:43 PM) Reply
Lovely, And fits you to a "T"! If you finished the glen plaid, would love to see it as well!
ACB said... (9/15/06 11:21 PM) Reply
Absolutely breath-taking! That's a men all pause dress!
Dobedowawa said... (9/14/06 12:26 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review .... gorgeous, feminine and you have the figure to do it justice!
Modiste Madness said... (9/14/06 9:23 AM) Reply
You look fabulous! A wonderful job on you striking creation.
Carolyn C said... (9/14/06 1:48 AM) Reply
Wow, Erica, stunning job on the fit. This dress is perfect for your beautiful figure.
Lori V said... (9/13/06 8:18 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress
hongkongshopper said... (9/13/06 8:00 PM) Reply
Fabulous Erica! All your dresses are such a feast to look at!
CSM--Carla said... (9/13/06 3:39 PM) Reply
AMEN to all of the above--another sexy creation! Enjoy all your reviews!!!! Carla
Maychi said... (9/13/06 2:07 PM) Reply
Absolutely stunning! Both you and the dress!
Sherril Miller said... (9/13/06 2:00 PM) Reply
The black wool is perfect for this fabulous dress. You do it justice. I'm looking forward to the sweetheart neckline version.
KAB said... (9/13/06 1:46 PM) Reply
What a Killer dress and you're wearing your don't-you-dare-talk-to-me face to accompany it. Smashing! Thanks for the detailed review. Kate
carolineG said... (9/13/06 10:47 AM) Reply
Wow - loved this style,but didn't buy the pattern because it looked badly made on the pattern envelope (doesn't fit the model!). Yours is stunning though - have you worn it out yet?
squirrellypoo said... (9/13/06 10:46 AM) Reply
I said it before, I'll say it again - that dress is STUNNING on you, Erica!
cindyann said... (9/13/06 10:45 AM) Reply
WOW too! Your dress looks every bit as fabulous as the designer inspiration dresses. You Rock it!
Mini said... (9/13/06 10:41 AM) Reply
Another knockout-this really has that 40's mystique. Maybe you could make a sassy little black hat with a feather too...this dress could work with any accessory you could think of!
milwaukee_kelly said... (9/13/06 10:21 AM) Reply
Wow, wow, wow. The dress is stunning. I'm so glad it worked out.
Marita Kinnula said... (9/13/06 10:16 AM) Reply
You look too good to be true! it really looks soo gooooood in black, I've thought about making this to DD, but not of black, hmmmm... I might have to reconsider my fabric choice. You look absolutely stunning, thank you for the review. Marita
pterion said... (9/13/06 9:55 AM) Reply
Wow too! You look much hotter in this style than any of the models/actresses/plastic socialites that you linked to at the beginning of your review.
cathy45 said... (9/13/06 9:49 AM) Reply
WOW! again. This dress was made for you! You got it all going on. (If this is the IT dress this season, it's a huge improvement on the duro dress.)
m1khaela said... (9/13/06 9:11 AM) Reply
you look so fabulous. I have this pattern and now I realize just how badly I need to sew it up...
Debbie Cook said... (9/13/06 9:00 AM) Reply
Fierce! This is definitely *your* dress!
cmarie12 said... (9/13/06 8:42 AM) Reply
Erica ~ it is absolutely beautiful! Well worth the time and effort!
carolynw said... (9/13/06 8:42 AM) Reply
Talk about drop dead georgeous!!!
OP Gal said... (9/13/06 8:19 AM) Reply
As usual, you look fantastic. Thanks for the detailed description of construction. Great result with a stylish pattern.
BeckyC said... (9/13/06 8:02 AM) Reply
Wow! You look stunning in this dress! Thanks for the great review.
Sew4Fun said... (9/13/06 7:48 AM) Reply
You look absolutely stunning! All that is missing is the red carpet. Incredible fit too! Did you do any fit alterations?
appleC said... (9/13/06 7:11 AM) Reply
You look great in that beautifully made dress!
GorgeousFabrics said... (9/13/06 7:09 AM) Reply
You work it, girl! You definitely look like Dorothy Dandridge in this. Your dress is simply fabulous! I have this pattern, and I wasn't planning to make it, just study it. But you may have pushed me over the edge. -Ann
Tipseysmum said... (9/13/06 7:02 AM) Reply
wow stunning.
yorkshire lass said... (9/13/06 5:45 AM) Reply
gorgeous, just gorgeous. What else can I say?
SBanks said... (9/13/06 5:44 AM) Reply
Wow! You look so fabulous in that dress! You are one hot lady! Now I'm convinced that I need to make this dress - thanks for the review and tips.
CarolynGM said... (9/13/06 5:40 AM) Reply
What a knockout of a dress.
Danvillegirl said... (9/13/06 5:31 AM) Reply
Love this in black!! Looks very flattering on you. You can definitely wear this style.
Mlle Laura said... (9/13/06 2:39 AM) Reply
wow! a gorgeous dress!
fuzzygalore said... (9/13/06 2:28 AM) Reply
You did a great job, and you do it proud :-). Congratulations!
sewnow1004 said... (9/13/06 2:00 AM) Reply
Just beautiful! Another prolific sewer! I have this pattern too. Hope mine will look half as good!
Nancy K said... (9/13/06 1:30 AM) Reply
I lust after this dress but alas, my figure is not the type for this. You look fab in yours. A good job.
ladybegood said... (9/13/06 1:30 AM) Reply
Stunning! Lena and Dorothy would be proud!
patsijean said... (9/13/06 1:07 AM) Reply
Girl, you are good. I wish I could look 1/2 as elegant as you. This dress is beautiful. Wow is right.
Shelia in Alaska said... (9/13/06 0:13 AM) Reply
You look absolutely beautiful in that picture and the dress looks wonderful too. You have such talent! If only I could fit a dress as well as you. I love all your pattern reviews. I didn't know you had a blog...where do I find it?
Leslie in Austin said... (9/13/06 0:06 AM) Reply
Daaaaang. Absolutely smokin'.
Aixoise said... (9/12/06 11:58 PM) Reply
I definitely think you should make this again. It's dynamite on you - stunning! Dorothy Dandridge and then some -
LBJ said... (9/12/06 11:54 PM) Reply
Gorgeous dress, gorgeous you!
Nancywin said... (9/12/06 11:39 PM) Reply
You did an excellent job on the fitting of this dress and you look like a knockout!
jnamcd said... (9/12/06 11:28 PM) Reply
I agree with everyone else--this looks beautiful on you! You are one stylin Momma!! Excellent review!
Stacy Sews said... (9/12/06 10:56 PM) Reply
WOW! you look fabulous! I've been following along on this dress' progress on your blog and I'm so happy to see this finished up. Beautiful job!
USMCMom said... (9/12/06 10:50 PM) Reply
Erica, that dress is stunning and you look stunning in it! If I had anything that looked that good on me, I'd never take it off!
Physics Girl said... (9/12/06 10:41 PM) Reply
Sizzling! Anyone making this in red? Oh drat -- I already have too many red dresses... but with two reviews in one day... is this the "it" dress?
Tov said... (9/12/06 10:33 PM) Reply
Another wow!
Schnauzer said... (9/12/06 10:24 PM) Reply
You and the dress compliment each other perfectly-absolutely gorgeous!
Kathy_AZ said... (9/12/06 10:21 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress that looks fabulous on you!
sewbehind said... (9/12/06 10:11 PM) Reply
Very lovely on you, Erica. A beautiful dress.
MaryBeth said... (9/12/06 9:59 PM) Reply
Very interesting to see this pattern made up. Beautiful in black wool!
Patti B said... (9/12/06 9:48 PM) Reply
Oooooeeee, do you look smashing in that dress!
Linda E. said... (9/12/06 9:43 PM) Reply
Erica this dress looks great on you. I love it in Black wool.. thanks for the very good review.
Erica B. said... (9/12/06 9:32 PM) Reply
Please do offer up all of you wisdom on the plaid! I almost pulled my hair out over that!
CSchiffgens said... (9/12/06 9:25 PM) Reply
Wow! This looks great. It's on my list also. Like you, I fell in love with it the first time I saw it in the magazines.
twistedangel said... (9/12/06 9:20 PM) Reply
Stunning in black! I sorely lack the figure to hold up the bodice, tho... I forgot to mention that about the markings... I tend to use tailors tacks by habit, and it sometimes slips right past me that someone should know which side to make the marks on... About the plaids... that was the problem #2 of my major problems. I wasn't paying attention when I cut out the skirt. I should write up how I got them to line up on the bodice...
Riordan said... (9/12/06 9:19 PM) Reply
Wow!!! Your dress is beautiful, and you are, too! The dress is lovely in the black wool.

More Knits