Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 05-2006-131 (elastic waist pants)

Reviewed by:dvazz

About dvazzstar
Member since: 8/15/03
Posted on:9/17/06 4:19 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

martinanne said... (9/18/06 3:16 AM) Reply
Nice review! I made these pants in capri length and I found they ran big. Well baggy. But they certainly are comfy, as you mentioned. I made the separate waistband as called for in the directions, but I think I like your method better. It would have been faster.
dvazz said... (9/17/06 8:44 PM) Reply
Thanks for the comments, everyone! Carolyn, these are actually the last project with my old machine...I made them about a month ago. Sherril, I pretty much end up shortening as you describe, but I do it by the method in a Threads article where you tie elastic around to hold up the unfinished waistband, pull up and down to adjust the fabric so that it hangs nicely, and then run a chalk wheel around to mark the seamline. I've used this method on every pair of pants I've made since I read about it and it is a huge help for me!
Sherril Miller said... (9/17/06 7:00 PM) Reply
Dana, these look exactly like your order, comfortable, baggy, and easy to sew. I like the fit for this style on you. How do you shorten just the front crotch? I cut away from the top center front returning to zero at the sides, but if there is a better way. . . . please share.
PegL said... (9/17/06 5:40 PM) Reply
Cute pants! Fun review to read.
drsue said... (9/17/06 5:29 PM) Reply
they look cute and comfy. don't look like a plus size though.
CarolynGM said... (9/17/06 5:15 PM) Reply
I don't know about the record -- I sew an awful lot of beige/tan/khaki pants. Are these your first project on your new machine? They do look nice and comfy.
USMCMom said... (9/17/06 4:43 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I'm overcoming my fear of sewing pants by starting with the now discontinued Burda one seam pants, which don't have pockets. They went well, so maybe it's time to step up to a "big girl" pair like these. Baby steps! They look so comfy...
Debbie Cook said... (9/17/06 4:31 PM) Reply
Most beige pants ... LOL! But good on you for making good on your promise to review something today. The pants look great, and so does you hair with the longer length. :-)

Ottobre Design Magazine 01-2007-25