Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4040

Last Updated:10/4/06 10:35 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
MKay said... (10/5/06 10:57 PM) Reply
I am making a jacket with this pattern also. I used faux suede/shearling fabric and have been struggling to get it to look right. The patch pockets are terrible, so I'm going to redo them. collar: I'm not use not sewing on a facing, the instructions have you leave a cut edge if the fabric is a faux shearling. The hem is handled the same way. I would use the pattern again but not the fabric.
BGVDiva said... (9/19/06 11:45 AM) Reply
Thanks for all your nice comments. Anriley: I had been checking this site regularly before I began this project just hoping that someone had some advice; since no one had posted a review, I had to move forward...glad I could be the groundbreaker for you! clin: I will post a photo soon. Believe it or not, I'm not the "funny one" in my family; as you can imagine, we laugh a lot! USMCMom: I don't know the weight of the fleece but it's not real heavy. patsijean: Thanks for teaching me a new word today, "pastiche" :-) OP Gal: I am surely one of those women who have a very distorted idea of what my body looks like. Yes, I was "seduced" and I bought the pattern and fabric BEFORE I made my Duct Tape Double. When I saw that coat hanging on my dressform (before alterations), I wondered "What was I thinking?" and was depressed for two days! I'm better now :-)
OP Gal said... (9/19/06 6:11 AM) Reply
Sorry this pattern didn't work for you. It looks cute on the pattern envelope, so I can see why you were "seduced." I'm planning to make a fleece jacket this fall, so I'll keep your comments in mind so I don't wind up with a bathrobe-y looking coat.
patsijean said... (9/19/06 0:36 AM) Reply
I love your pastiche of a famous saying. How appropriate for this group.
USMCMom said... (9/18/06 11:51 PM) Reply
What weight fleece did you use? Maybe a lighter weight one could avoid the bathrobe look. It looks like a nice pattern, though. Looking forward to seeing a photo
carolynw said... (9/18/06 10:24 PM) Reply
Love your review - you have quite the sense of humour. Maybe we can see a photo?
anriley said... (9/18/06 6:32 PM) Reply
Thank you so much! I'm working on this pattern too (view A, the short version). I was so mystified and frustrated with that collar -- but you've reaffirmed my faith in my own competence. (Yeah!) Thanks!

Jalie 2322