Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4043 (Mermaid costume)

Reviewed by:PattyU

About PattyUstar
OH USA
Member since: 3/26/03
Posted on:10/8/06 3:11 AM

See other patterns in this category: Costumes
rubbecca said... (8/29/09 1:54 PM) Reply
The costume turned out very well. Thanks for the warnings about the instructions. I bought this pattern because it looks so cool, but I know it will be a challenging piece.
containergirl said... (7/29/09 0:06 AM) Reply
Thank you for a great review. I am 3 days out from my daughter needing to be a mermaid. Your tips will save me a lot of time.
ottomatic said... (10/13/08 2:28 PM) Reply
i am currently making this pattern and wish that I had really looked at the notions list too prior to buying. I changed my daughter's version to be a light pink top with a green tail and fin with a shimmery scaly overlay for both where indicated. I purchased all the material at Hancocks, mostly because the Joann's near my home was low on Halloween material. I agree that the top does not need the zipper. I have not completed the tail, but I think I may have made it too long. My daughter is a size 6 and I made her the size 8. She can use it as a dress up costume for a couple of years. I may need to shorten the tail so that she doesn't trip over any excess that hangs down from the fin. I would definitely say that the instructions are a bit confusing regarding the lining. I think I spend an hour on one of the steps trying to figure out how to turn it right side out. It would have been nice to know the difficulty of the project like the Vogue patterns. I might have gone with the penguin or bee instead!
Sara The Slayer said... (12/3/07 10:42 AM) Reply
Sounds like it was quite a bit of work, but it is spectacular.
AlexaNJ said... (10/10/07 10:02 AM) Reply
Beautiful costume! I love it!
sewitseams2me said... (9/26/07 1:10 PM) Reply
Thank you for your frank review. I too have a tall 4 yo to make a mermaid costume for. Your review will help me make the job go smoothly.
KristenI said... (10/25/06 3:05 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review! It turned out fabulous.
Monica G said... (10/9/06 7:58 AM) Reply
Very cute costume. I can see why you are happy with your efforts and the results.
BeckyW said... (10/8/06 5:41 PM) Reply
Very cute little mermaid! I have this same pattern on my cutting table right now for my 8 YO DD. I am glad to read you comments. I don't think I will need a side zipper either. I am thinking of making the top out of a different pattern with more coverage on the upper back for warmth. We never know how warm Halloween will be here. My other thought would be to get a bit more fabric and make a very simple shrug to wear over it, if it is cold. I like your idea of the crimped hair and glitter too.
bunz said... (10/8/06 4:03 PM) Reply
2 kewl!!
Map said... (10/8/06 12:51 PM) Reply
DD,what makes you think anyone would wait till the night before an event to start a costime? Great job by the way, she will be a great mermaid. Mom
ACB said... (10/8/06 11:58 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful costume, great job.
Peggy L said... (10/8/06 11:38 AM) Reply
Great costume, Patty! I'm sure your DD loves this.
Mary Stiefer said... (10/8/06 9:59 AM) Reply
This is so cute and I'm sure your daughter will love it. As far as turning the top right side out - remember one important thing - Pattern companies makes mistakes and we suffer. I'm sure they made a mistake and you corrected it. Mark the pattern with turning the top before closing in all the hems. I've found many patterns with error and, if you start reading these reviews, you will see that it happens a lot.
mamakooz said... (10/8/06 9:59 AM) Reply
Wow!!! This turned out great! I love your fabric choices.
Stacy Sews said... (10/8/06 9:26 AM) Reply
Very fun costume - I love the fabric choices! Your daughter is going to make a fantastic mermaid this Halloween.

Sew Liberated Flora Tunic and Twirly Skirt