Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6034

About Rustybobnstarstarstar
Member since: 4/5/02
Posted on:11/13/02 4:19 PM
Last Updated:11/13/02 4:20 PM

See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Formalwear    Suits / Separates
said... (11/17/02 4:49 PM) Reply
Rustybobn, thanks for the great review. I just bought this pattern today so I'm looking forward to hearing about your successes over the weekend. Thanks to everyone else for the other fitting suggestions. Can't wait to get started on the cardigan and shell.
Click here if you wish to edit your comment
Rustybobn said... (11/14/02 10:32 AM) Reply
Thanks for some good ideas! I'm hoping to spend some time this weekend trying them out.
Karla Kizer said... (11/14/02 9:06 AM) Reply
I've experienced the same kind of problem in sleeveless garments, especially for my DD. Now I change the shape of the front armhole. I start at patterns's correct shoulder line and sketch in an armhole that shaves some width off the chest (about 1/4") and returns to the original pattern line just in time to go under the arm. The upper chest will appear narrower than the shoulders. I've always thought that her forward shoulders necessitated this change, but maybe not. I also cheat a bit with knits and place the CF of the top of the pattern just a little beyond the fabric fold when I cut, reducing the chest and neck width just a tiny bit at the CF. This combination of changes seems to work pretty well for DD.
Sandra said... (11/14/02 0:51 AM) Reply
Wow, that does seem like a versatile pattern! You choose really pretty fabrics, Rustybobn.
Margaret said... (11/13/02 11:41 PM) Reply
Interesting fitting problems--I hope you will find a way to fix them. Maybe some extra width is useful for you (Rustybobn) in wovens but excessive in knits? Just an idea, I'm definitely not an experienced fitting person. Thanks for the informative review, and thanks, Betty, for the comment about the different methods.
Everyday Sewist said... (11/13/02 5:16 PM) Reply
Rustybobn, about the extra fabric around the armhole/chest: I've had this problem using Nancy Zieman's method also. I had slightly better luck using Sandra Betzina's method in _Fast Fit_. However, both methods seem to add fabric in the upper chest area which I don't need. I just got the book _Fit for Real People_ where the bust alteration does not seem to add any width in the upper chest. I plan to try it out. Also, after recently making a sloper I realized I need to adjust for sloping shoulders and increase the bust dart. This also got rid of the wrinkles. I don't know if these are issues for you, just some ideas.

Understanding Wool Fabrics