Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4171 (Threads Mag shirtdress)

Reviewed by:Christina Sonja

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 10 people

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

rubydarling said... (4/2/07 4:16 AM) Reply
I just bought this pattern as shirt dresses seem to be making an understated comback in Melbourne (Australia). I couldn't work out what fabric to use as the pattern cover is less than elegant (why do they always do that?) but your dress has spurred my imagination. It looks elegant, classic and sexy all at the same time. Thanks for the inspiration!
JaneH said... (11/16/06 12:32 PM) Reply
Wow!! Great dress. I agree with Sew4Fun that your dress looks better than what is shown on the envelope.
Christina Sonja said... (11/8/06 1:10 PM) Reply
FeyFaerie - Thanks for the compliments! The color is a nice, raisin purple under some lights, and just plain purple in other lights! As for your questions: (1) There is one long pattern piece for the dress front and another long pattern piece for the dress back. You could certainly shorten the neck to waist length by folding/pleating the pattern above the waist. You may need to fix the dart markings but that should be easy. I think darts are supposed to end at least 1 inch away from the bust point, if it's too close, you should shorten the dart a bit. (2) The belt is indeed great! I got it recently at Nordstrom Rack in Seattle (it is Nordstrom's outlet store).
MelissaB in WA said... (11/8/06 0:16 AM) Reply
What a classic dress, I love it! I have this pattern and was just looking at it last weekend thinking I need to make it (so many pattern so little time! LOL).
Elemenopeo said... (11/7/06 5:13 PM) Reply
It's a great dress and looks marvelous on you!
FeyFaerie said... (11/7/06 2:43 PM) Reply
Your dress is FANTASTIC!!! You look great in it, too. Just a couple of questions (although your sewing alteration descriptions are very exact and helpful)... 1. I am very short waisted (13.5" back neck to waist measurement - otherwise, average propotions for my size, 5'4" 120lbs) - with the darts in front and back, do you believe this pattern would be high-waist alter-able? You mentioned using 2 sizes for top and bottom - Is the pattern constructed as 'top and bottom' or pannels? 2. Where did you get your AWESOME belt? It really 'makes' this dress (and is very trendy and versatile for the current fashion trends). I love how 'simple' it is (no embossing, fringe, studs, etc.), and appeard to be a great width (actually 'height'....). Thanks for the great review. And don't worry about the lighting - you look great!! The purple color is becoming on you, as well, and makes this a perfect day --> night outfit!
Zaneta said... (11/7/06 5:42 AM) Reply
I looked at this pattern and then marked it off, I have now put it back on my list..what a gorgeous dress..
milwaukee_kelly said... (11/6/06 10:57 AM) Reply
Really great dress! (an who could say no to DK $13 wool?)
ACB said... (11/5/06 6:01 PM) Reply
Love it!
lmg said... (11/5/06 4:06 PM) Reply
Your dress looks better than the pattern photo. Great job.
Carolyndh said... (11/5/06 3:36 PM) Reply
Christina, Very stylish! The fit of it looks just perfect on you. Nice work!
ryan's mom said... (11/5/06 12:51 PM) Reply
Very nice! Looks like a comfortable dress too.
CraftyMary said... (11/5/06 12:49 PM) Reply
Very nice! I've never owned a shirtdress, but seeing how flattering yours is makes me want to try that pattern.
sewbehind said... (11/5/06 12:19 PM) Reply
Lovely dress. I also think it is very sexy. What is so sexy about it is that it is not revealing in the least, but oh so flattering.
AnneM said... (11/5/06 11:50 AM) Reply
The pattern pictures are not inspiring for me on this pattern. Your dress looks very nice!
Sharon M said... (11/5/06 9:40 AM) Reply
This dress looks very nice on you. I agree that the dresses on PR are *much* better than the ones on the cover of the pattern
BeckyC said... (11/5/06 9:39 AM) Reply
The style and color of your dress are beautiful on you! What a great classic to have in your wardrobe.
CarolynGM said... (11/5/06 9:25 AM) Reply
Wow. the dress looks great in a knit. Nice belt, too.
Tiner W said... (11/5/06 8:59 AM) Reply
Very becoming! I also liked your photo before reading that you weren't happy with it!
MissCelie said... (11/5/06 8:24 AM) Reply
Alright. I have to get this at this weekend's sale. I've got some shirting I've been wanting to use and this looks ideal.
AlisonF said... (11/5/06 3:52 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress.. great work. Looks fantastic with the belt. I love this style.
Tall Mary said... (11/5/06 0:11 AM) Reply
That style is very flattering on you. With your hair and skin coloring the dress color coordinates very well.
Erica B. said... (11/4/06 11:56 PM) Reply
Cute dress!
MarilynB said... (11/4/06 11:46 PM) Reply
Love your dress. The lighting in the picture is fine. It's definitely better looking the Simplicity's pictures. I would have passed on this dress had I not seen yours.
Debbie Cook said... (11/4/06 11:45 PM) Reply
Very pretty, and I was thinking "what a great photo" before I read you weren't happy with it.
Reggies Mom said... (11/4/06 11:44 PM) Reply
I like the color, it looks nice on you. Everyone that's reviewed this dress seems to think it's a winner. I got this recently at a $.99 sale and it's on my to-do list. I'm sure you'll get lots of mileage out of such a classic!
CSchiffgens said... (11/4/06 11:35 PM) Reply
Very nice. The fit and color both look good.
Sew4Fun said... (11/4/06 11:13 PM) Reply
Nice dress. Much nicer than those on the envelope.

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns