Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3422 (Men's Shirt)

Reviewed by:Karen6790

Last Updated:2/18/09 4:53 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 23 people
See other patterns in this category: Mens - Shirts
Hilary said... (6/16/10 3:08 PM) Reply
I can't believe I never commented on this! What a great looking bunch of shirts you've made~Wow!! Well done, and I appreciate all your updates. Every version looks great-I am going to get pick this pattern up-can't believe I don't have it. Thanks for all the tips!
Mahogany Stylist said... (2/19/09 4:32 PM) Reply
Karen, You are quite the shirt style master. I love all versions of this fabulous shirt.
carolynw said... (2/19/09 9:44 AM) Reply
Great looking shirts - love the fabric choices. DBF should be so pleased
Sew4Fun said... (2/19/09 0:30 AM) Reply
Fabulous shirts! This pattern looks like a winner and DBF is one lucky man. I hope he realises. ;)
Kim Winson said... (2/19/09 0:04 AM) Reply
Another smashing shirt. Glad his tastes have evolved because it looks amazing.
Karen8320 said... (2/18/09 11:27 PM) Reply
Fabulous work, Karen! Wow, the color in this shirt is amazing - in a really great way! I love everything you've done here. Fabulous work!
pterion said... (2/18/09 10:20 PM) Reply
Beautiful work on all the boyfriend shirts! He sure is a lucky guy. Love the square buttons on this last one.
Diana M said... (2/18/09 8:42 PM) Reply
LOVE the 2x2 button placement -- looks very high end. Gorgeous shirt.
Kellie R. said... (2/18/09 7:06 PM) Reply
Great shirts Karen! There's something very satisfying about a nice shirt - these are super!
Nancy Rhodes said... (2/18/09 7:01 PM) Reply
BRAVO! BRAVO! Great shirts!
Christas said... (2/18/09 5:27 PM) Reply
What a treat getting to see all the VERY nice shirts you have made your boyfriend out of this pattern. WONDERFUL! ALL of them!
Angelia74 said... (1/2/08 8:25 PM) Reply
Beautiful shirt! Thanks for reviewing this. I'me very into sewing for my DH and I'll have to check into getting this one!
AnneM said... (1/2/08 4:29 PM) Reply
Great new version. Congrats on having a TNT pattern to use; it is worth it! Particularly for men's shirts. Vary the fabric & most people won't realize it is the same pattern.
carolynw said... (1/2/08 9:25 AM) Reply
Great looking shirt
nicegirl said... (1/1/08 10:39 PM) Reply
LOVE the chevron yoke. And a Mood gift certificate--now *that* is the way to a woman's heart!!!!
EveS said... (1/1/08 10:38 PM) Reply
Ok, so I bought this pattern a long time ago based on your previous versions and still haven't finished ONE. You're making me feel verrry guilty! You are the men's shirt goddess...love the yoke!
Kim Winson said... (1/1/08 10:31 PM) Reply
What a beautiful shirt (all of them, really). I'm very tempted to buy the pattern but there are no men in my life to sew for currently..well, maybe my second brother. he wears this style of shirt to work. Hmmm...I have been enabled!
cindyann said... (1/1/08 9:28 PM) Reply
That looks wonderful. It's so nice to see that fabric made up. I'm thinking this pattern needs to have a home with me.
khurtdvm said... (1/1/08 9:26 PM) Reply
Very nice! This is perfect timing, considering that one of my New Year's resolutions is to finally make DH the shirts I've been promising him....
sewbehind said... (7/18/07 6:17 PM) Reply
Great looking shirts, Karen. You did a wonderful job.
carolhope said... (7/18/07 2:33 PM) Reply
Great job on all the shirts. I have a hint on using uneven stripes, such as your light brown shirt. Cut out one side of the front first, then turn your pattern piece upside down for the second side and match your stripes before cutting. In this way, the stripes will flow from the center front and "match" going in different directions. Your stripes look great, but try this technique to see if you like the stripes used in this manner . Only a suggestion...
Mary Stiefer said... (7/18/07 10:56 AM) Reply
Great looking shirt and the best part is that he likes them. Good job.
carolynw said... (7/18/07 8:40 AM) Reply
Just wonderful Karen - such a neat job with everything and I think the sleeves are the right length. Been making some shirts for DH recently and am glad to read Elona's remarks as I was dumb founded by the creases at the back sleeve - DH use to lift weights and has big muscles so I can see how to fix that now. Great work - great looking shirts and oh yeah ! nice looking DBF
Wianno Girl said... (7/16/07 11:16 AM) Reply
In reading all the changes she would make, I agree with her discerning eye. those plackets are beautiful!
Lisaten said... (1/30/07 6:33 PM) Reply
GReat shirt
nfield said... (1/29/07 10:58 PM) Reply
Nice job on the shirt. I have made this twice for my 20 year old son. I do like to one with the separate collar stand better. He loves them. I monogramed the pocket. I like your idea about the pleats in the back. I have David's book and will have to re-read that section. Definitely will make this again.
Leslie in Austin said... (1/1/07 9:10 AM) Reply
What a great looking shirt, Karen! Way to go!!
popoagiesmiles said... (12/30/06 11:39 AM) Reply
Lucky guy!
Michelle T said... (12/26/06 1:24 PM) Reply
I have never seen a collar so perfectly matched with the stripes on the body of a shirt. (shirt 2) A great shirt!
Kathi R said... (12/25/06 10:43 PM) Reply
The sleeve plackets look great -- don't you think the illustrations in the DPC take the mystery out of the whole experience? Nice shirt and the next one will go together much faster....
jbrewer said... (11/8/06 9:00 AM) Reply
I think it looks fantastic! Don't shorten the sleeves.
Rustybobn said... (11/7/06 3:01 PM) Reply
Great shirt. I think the sleeve length is fine-better a smidgeon too long than too short. You might want to think twice before you take away the man's pockets on the next one!
slanden99 said... (11/7/06 1:18 PM) Reply
Great job on the shirt. Your placket looks perfect. I've been hoping for a review of this pattern. I do think the sleeve need to be shortened 1/2 inch for your next version.
Re Becca said... (11/7/06 11:19 AM) Reply
Sleeve length is fine the way it is! and, Nice plackets!
ACB said... (11/7/06 9:06 AM) Reply
Well done, and the sleeve length is fine.
JFTA said... (11/7/06 7:17 AM) Reply
excellent matching of stripes! I thinkif you shortened the sleeves very much it would looseit's casual sexy look & it would look funny when he had to bend his harm and the sleeve gets 'shorter' with movement.
Ronda Rae said... (11/7/06 7:13 AM) Reply
That yoke part through me off the first time, too. I had to tear it out 3 times before I did it right! It looks great.
popoagiesmiles said... (11/6/06 8:42 PM) Reply
Very nice work placing the stripes! Inspires me to pull out some stripe that I've been dreading due to placement issues. A thought on the pocket: You may get more points if you put it on, even if he does stuff papers in there. Or make him a zippered pocket "wallet notebook" to put all his papers in.
Karen said... (11/6/06 8:38 PM) Reply
Nice work and attention to detail. Very nice shirt. Well done.
Elona said... (11/6/06 6:26 PM) Reply
What a terrific-looking shirt! It looks great as is, but as to the folds at the shoulder, it may not be entirely a shoulder slope issue. We all have a sizeable muscle up there called the trapezius. Having a big one is the mark of a weightlifter, and can produce folds that seem to call for a sloped shoulder alteration, but in her book, "Fitting & Pattern Alteration," Judith Rasband calls it "High neck base at sides," and has a segment on how to correct a woman's pattern for it. It basically involves enlarging the neck circumference, but also adding a bit of extra length at the center back, and a little at the inner edge of each shoulder seam. All this lets the shirt drop just a little in the center, and removes those folds. As to the sleeve length, have him "shoot" his sleeves: Extend his arms fast as if he were reaching out for something. If the cuffs bind him, they're too short. If not--and if they're not actually flopping into his soup--the length is probably fine. Guys hate sleeves that bind.
Vonnevo said... (11/6/06 6:20 PM) Reply
Fabulous shirt and great use of the striped fabric. Your attention to detail makes this shirt looks very high end. Thanks for a very informative review :))
dreamdesigner said... (11/6/06 6:08 PM) Reply
Awsome job on the placket!
dreamdesigner said... (11/6/06 6:06 PM) Reply
Awsome job on the placket! Ditto on the back pleat
mary in FL said... (11/6/06 6:02 PM) Reply
Good job for your first men's shirt. Does he tell everyone that it's custom made and that you made it for him?
Sherril Miller said... (11/6/06 6:01 PM) Reply
Very RTW. I love that it turned out so nice the first time around. Those changes will really make a special present in a great fabric. Lucky DBF.
Annika said... (11/6/06 5:53 PM) Reply
Great job! I agree about putting a pleat in the back of your next shirt - It will give him a little more wiggle room :)
Stephanie C. said... (11/6/06 5:26 PM) Reply
That looks great. You did a very nice job on the cuffs; clean, neat look.
dbsewer said... (11/6/06 5:10 PM) Reply
Great job on the shirt. It looks really nice. I think the sleeve length is perfect. Guys nowadays like to wear their sleeves a bit on the long side. I'd say you did a very nice job. Great fabric, too.
Donna H said... (11/6/06 5:05 PM) Reply
Goodie, the first to leave a comment! It looks GREAT! And don't worry about the sleeve length. If HE likes it...leave it! Awesome job.

by: Jonni Ange...