Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2449 (crossover top)

Viewed 1984 times

Posted on:11/9/06 10:18 PM
Last Updated:8/15/08 11:15 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

nancy2001 said... (8/17/08 10:32 AM) Reply
Great looking top. How ingenious to shorten the left front hem by only 2.5 cm so you can catch only one layer in the hem. I must try that next time.
Annette1 said... (8/17/08 0:55 AM) Reply
Well, if your yellow one was a wearable muslin from 2006, then it was WAY wearable. :o)) What a fantastic top this is. You look GREAT in it, and black and white will never go out of style.
sewtime said... (8/16/08 3:15 PM) Reply
Instant gratification, and I see why! You look great in your new top!
KarmenG said... (8/16/08 10:11 AM) Reply
Thanks for reminding me about this pattern! Now that I see your pic it looks JUST like an Ann Taylor top I bought deeply discounted on sale recently....now I must make a few more. I have the pattern and like you.....what am I waiting for?? Thanks again
Amanda S. said... (8/16/08 9:45 AM) Reply
I love this top! Nice fabric choice, too.
Lori V said... (8/16/08 8:38 AM) Reply
This is so cute, I need to make it again.
shesflipped said... (8/16/08 8:19 AM) Reply
This looks great on you! Great fabric, too! I made this top last winter~I may need to pull it out again...I really like the look of doing the binding in the same fabric as the shirt.
Rhoda K said... (8/16/08 8:12 AM) Reply
Good looking tops and love your fabrics. I guess I'll have to give this pattern a try and will keep this in my favorites to review the fitting problems, just in case!
DaisyEsq said... (8/15/08 11:54 PM) Reply
Both tops are beautiful.
SansSouci572 said... (8/15/08 11:49 PM) Reply
That turned out great!!
knitlitcamper said... (8/15/08 11:28 PM) Reply
great top! & it looks fantastic on you! I have a similar pattern from Vogue in my stash, I think I will try it after seeing your great top!
Re Becca said... (8/15/08 10:53 PM) Reply
e careful, knit-top instant gratification can be addictive. This looks great on you! I may have to get this one too.
Dee2 said... (8/15/08 10:52 PM) Reply
What great tops! Both are very pretty & the fit looks perfect too.
Karen8320 said... (8/15/08 10:52 PM) Reply
It's a very smart look, Kay, and both the fabric and the pattern give it a distinctive stylishness. I like it!
CSM--Carla said... (11/10/06 11:41 PM) Reply
Great top Kay!! I love this pattern too for the same reason--instant gratification--and have gotten more positive comments on this than on any thing else I wear. Thanks for sharing. Carla
sewbehind said... (11/10/06 7:09 PM) Reply
Beautiful top and so easily made so you say!
edube said... (11/10/06 6:16 PM) Reply
I had the same problem with the pull on my top, which was a good quality c/l from EOS with a slightly "beefy" weight. I was hoping it might not be as much of a problem with a lighter weight. Incidentally, I also made one up in a size 3 for my dgd. Although she is no more active than the average kid, I found the design to be quite impractical for a child, although it was cute on her. She had a hard time getting in and out of it and the "gap" part was always falling open. So even though it's available for a child, I wouldn't recommend it.
ACB said... (11/10/06 3:15 PM) Reply
Very pretty top.
Erica B. said... (11/10/06 3:10 PM) Reply
Love the top!
stitchwitch said... (11/10/06 11:08 AM) Reply
What a lovely top Kay! I too have had the pulls at the side where the bands go in to the side seam. I tried doing an FBA to reduce any pulling but to no avail - still don't know the way round this one. Seems difficult to solve - you need the front bands to be snug enough to stop gaping but not too tight that they pull at the side.
Liana said... (11/10/06 11:03 AM) Reply
This is very nice on you, and I could see this in a luxury knit with some of your lovely suits.
JDpenelope said... (11/10/06 8:54 AM) Reply
Very pretty top, and though I can see the pull, it's not very objectionable, in my opinion, and I doubt that many people would notice. In addition to the suggestions already given, I wonder if a more lightweight and stretchier fabric might also help.
CarolynGM said... (11/10/06 6:27 AM) Reply
Good job, Kay. I've worn the one I made only a few times because I have a terrible time with the front gaping when I wear it. Maybe jemgirlca's fix would help that problem too.
Danvillegirl said... (11/10/06 5:26 AM) Reply
Interesting fix suggestion jemgirlca. I have not made this top but my first thought was you need to add a smooch more SA at the hip area on front piece. I have a similar problem with a Vogue pattern. So may want to try jemgirlca recommendation. Nice fitting top, Kay.
jemgirlca said... (11/10/06 0:45 AM) Reply
Kay, I struggled with the "pulling" problem, too, but finally fixed it. What I had to do is cut a curve into the front edges. I took out 2" on each side! It's hard to explain, but started the curve from the original place at the shoulder, curved in 2" and then back out to the original spot on the other side. Imagine the front band attached farther into the front across the chest (I don't know if that makes any sense) I can tell from your picture that you have the same problem, I had. There is just too much fabric across the chest. I thought I must have the strangest shape ever to have to make that adjustment, but have struggled with the same problem with all of the wrap tops I have tried and that fixed it. I wore my Jalie top today and thought I could have moved the band over even a bit more. Let me know if this makes no sense and I'll see if I can explain it better. Try it by putting the band up over your bust to see how it would look if the fabric crossed over more, you'll see the lines go away. HTH
Donna H said... (11/9/06 10:44 PM) Reply
Instant gratification=instant beauty. It looks great and I love your fabric.

More Knits