Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4789-Twist dress (Butterick)

Reviewed by:knottygnome

About knottygnomestar
NY USA
Member since: 3/30/05
Posted on:11/25/06 2:57 PM
Last Updated:4/5/12 8:51 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 8 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
Littlehuntingcreek said... (3/20/07 4:55 PM) Reply
My 22 year old daughter was looking over my shoulder and she said - mom, can you make one of those for me? we both love the print - very fashion forward. It looks great on you :)
Soliel said... (3/20/07 1:19 PM) Reply
New version is very cute!!! Love that pinky knit! Old version is MOD and cute, too, just thought I'd comment on the "update".
Kelly D. said... (3/20/07 12:10 PM) Reply
I'm joining everyone who says, "It's not too loud!" Wear it with pride, it's a great dress. Thanks for the review.
Leslie Bonner said... (11/26/06 3:01 PM) Reply
I am 62 and I would wear this dress in a heartbeat if I had your figure. Well done!
Sharon M said... (11/26/06 2:50 PM) Reply
This dress is great! and especially love the fabric.
ryan's mom said... (11/26/06 1:13 PM) Reply
Very unique dress! Not all figures can pull off a print like this, but it looks great on you.
Nancy K said... (11/26/06 9:50 AM) Reply
Great dress, looks great on you
AnneM said... (11/26/06 9:49 AM) Reply
Well, you will definitely stand out in a crowd with that fabric. If you don't get wear out of it, turn it into a top to wear with jeans. The style looks nice, & in a different fabric the dress would look different.
carolynw said... (11/26/06 8:56 AM) Reply
A real knock out - wear it often - bet there will be a lot of heads turning!!
Ann Smith said... (11/26/06 0:47 AM) Reply
That's a WOW dress. Please wear it!!
Jan B. said... (11/26/06 0:29 AM) Reply
This dress is sharp! It looks great on you and will be very versatile!
MelissaB in WA said... (11/26/06 0:15 AM) Reply
I LOVE the dress and the fabric!!! Glad to know it was easy to put together.
Erica B. said... (11/25/06 10:52 PM) Reply
Very cute dress. I love the fabric -- very Pucci-esque!
VtMartha said... (11/25/06 7:35 PM) Reply
OK, don't snicker. I bought that fabric and I am over 60! And I'm inspired by your review.
Melody said... (11/25/06 7:22 PM) Reply
I love what you've accomplished. I personally don't think it's too loud, I have that fabric (and pattern, hmm) as well and I love seeing it as a twist dress. It looks great on and looks really cute with your black boots. It's very "InStyle" magazine. My fashionista friends would be envious.
bunz said... (11/25/06 6:31 PM) Reply
What an awsome result from a simple pattern!! I agree that the fabric is terrific, but you have to feel comfortable wearing it out.
Pyrose said... (11/25/06 4:28 PM) Reply
I really like the twist top and your fabric choice is cool. I think you look awesome in this dress.
MB at YarnUiPhoneApp said... (11/25/06 4:10 PM) Reply
What's age got to do with loudness? I know plenty of women in their 40s who would wear this dress in a heartbeat or two or three! This dress rocks in a Betsy Johnson sort of way (she'd like it and she's certainly past the abovementioned number).
ACB said... (11/25/06 4:09 PM) Reply
I am in total agreement with the others, it's looks awesome, (by the way I have this fabric from Lucy's somewhere in my stash), and in Miami we love wild bold colors (South Beach). You can label it as resort wear!
popoagiesmiles said... (11/25/06 3:28 PM) Reply
I don't think the dress is too loud at all. I too am in my mid-forties, much older than you I'm sure. But, I would wear this with nice makeup and plain black accessories. I would definitely wear it for social occasions such as going to lunch or dinner, going to a baby or wedding shower, etc. Because I live in a warm climate, "hot pastels" are definitely appropriate for non-work clothing. Some work places would also be fine to wear this to. Seriously, because the style is relatively simple, I would not consider this print too loud for you. Your black hair and smooth skin looks great with this print.
Donna H said... (11/25/06 3:01 PM) Reply
Awesome dress! Great job on it, too. Yeah, I'm in my mid 40's...I'd have to tone it WAY down!! LOL. Great review.

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-1996-417