Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Kayla Kennington> 425 (Cross Over Top)

Reviewed by:moss

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
Kayla Kennington said... (5/17/09 3:23 PM) Reply
Oh...and BEAUTIFUL piece! Kayla
Kayla Kennington said... (5/17/09 3:06 PM) Reply
Hey, Thanks , and sorry about the seams thing! But let me explain; there are quite a few reasons for the lack of seam allowances in my patterns. First; I provide a few different creative seaming construction techniques in each pattern. Each pattern has 3 or 4 complete sets of instructions; each requiring a different seam width. I use 1/4" for my serged seams but when I am working with silks and self-line the panels it helps to have a much wider seam allowance, and then trim it back. Another reason is to leave the opportunity for creative alterations. For instance you have a small piece of gorgeous embroidered silk or hand painted..., but it's only 5 inches wide, without the seam allowances it is easy to cut the panels into two pieces, or tape together one panel and cut the next, then add the seam allowances, therefore being able to use those special treasured fabrics, without having to wait for the perfect size pattern piece to come along. And, as a pattern maker I like to provide 6 sizes in each pattern; however stacking 6 sizes and including the seam allowances sometimes makes it very difficult for the sewer to identify the correct cutting lines. And Personally, or with my students, I/we don't bother to make a new pattern with seam allowances; we just cut approximate 1/4 inch allowance around the edges of the pattern piece (or whatever width)...the patterns are not meant to be "fitted", it there is "fit" it is by ties. BTW the traditional look of Couture Artwear is an "oversize" fit (however I see the same styles moving closer to the body in the last few years). And since there is no "stress" on the seams; I don't feel an accurate seam allowance is necessary. Granted; this is a different way of sewing....I have written quite a few articles for Threads, and have been teaching nationally for the past 7 years. I am trying to communicate new ways of approaching sewing, which is a difficult task to accomplish in one pattern...but thanks again for the review, Kayla
ryan's mom said... (4/14/09 10:29 AM) Reply
Thanks! Very helpful review.
Annika said... (3/9/07 6:56 PM) Reply
Whoa! How did I miss this review??? Your coat is FABULOUS!
ACB said... (12/1/06 3:50 PM) Reply
Lovely, beautiful fabric.
seams_sew said... (12/1/06 8:55 AM) Reply
That looks great! And very comfortable.
moss said... (11/29/06 7:36 AM) Reply
Thanks so much. PatternReview is a great motivator to finish the project and show it off! :)
AnneM said... (11/29/06 5:51 AM) Reply
Some interesting patterns in this line. Neat top, makes a fun jacket.
Sanibelle said... (11/28/06 6:55 PM) Reply
What a wonderful way to wrap oneself up! I've loved all the projects you've shared with us so far.
Elona said... (11/28/06 6:08 PM) Reply
I would never have spotted this one, at least not from the line drawing on the envelope, but this is really cute. In fact, I just ordered the pattern for a friend of mine; I think she will love it.
fuzzygalore said... (11/28/06 5:21 PM) Reply
No tracing necessary to add a seam allowance - a rotary cutter with a guide arm, and you can measure and cut at the same time... Very nice coat though :-).
Ann Smith said... (11/28/06 4:21 PM) Reply
Great job. I love your fabric combination. That red just elevates the whole thing.

by: MaryDB