Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 8165 (Misses' Dress)

Review submitted in Fabric Stash Contest 2013 Contest

Posted on:11/24/02 4:41 AM
Last Updated:6/19/13 4:40 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
FreyaStark said... (6/23/13 7:28 AM) Reply
Very nice. I love the simple, classic style and the fabric.
renren said... (6/20/13 1:49 PM) Reply
Love the dress! As usual, I enjoy reading your reviews very much. "Shadow" of the pleat--I know exactly what you mean and a very concise way to reference it. Simplicity gave up on telling you how to manage a s/l near--or in--the French dart. Yep, I've seen that in an independent pattern where the drafter glossed over a very tricky step which was odd since everything else was covered so well. Of course! How could you describe in words (or even a diagram) how to do that. (I remember the pattern but I don't want to embarrass anyone unduly.) And the armhole depth being the same for sleeveless/sleeved versions. I've run into that. Except it was a Cynthia Rowley pattern and she had you trim away 5/8 inch for the sleeveless version and I scratched my head--why didn't they draft this pattern right? Then a commenter suggested it was so they could use the same pattern piece for the sleeveless/sleeved version. Of course! So, anyway, thanks for the time you took writing this. It helps reinforce what I have learned and helps trailblaze the way into things I have yet to encounter (French dart, for instance). I also have that pulling with wovens at the sleeve and like you I can't decide if it's because I'm used to the ease of knits or if there's something I might need to do with a woven. (Really don't like that constraint a sleeved woven gives!) And now my comment is longer than your review . . . . eek.
Sew Whatever said... (6/19/13 5:27 PM) Reply
The blue version looks good. Like you said, a good summer type pattern. Very comprehensive review!
Margaret said... (11/24/02 2:36 PM) Reply
Part of it is that I am reviewing some things I sewed before I knew about this site. This dress is one of them, and I think I have about 2 skirts, 2 tops, and a couple of dresses and jumpers left. ;) I am working on a coat right now, but it is going to take a while (lining isn't behaving). I'm happy you enjoy the reviews :)
Sandra said... (11/24/02 2:03 PM) Reply
Margaret, you are so productive! You are like the sewing version of the U.S. Army. You must do more sewing before 9 a.m. than I do in a month! :) I always enjoy your reviews.

by: Jstarr4250