Online Sewing Class: Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5203 (Cowl Top)

Reviewed by:Mini

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

Mini said... (2/12/07 11:47 AM) Reply
My pleasure:). Five years later I still wear my first version of this top, and it still looks good!
librarylady said... (2/11/07 8:07 PM) Reply
Mini, you're my go-to lady when I need advice! This is such a great review. Thanks for all the info on this pattern. Connie
CSM--Carla said... (9/7/06 7:57 AM) Reply
Mini, I have read all your reviews too and really appreciate all your comments and knowledge!! Thank you!! I hadn't seen you on the site for a while. It's good to see your name again. Did you write a book? Would you PM me to tell me more if you did? Thank you again for all your help! Every best wish. Carla
CAgirl said... (8/25/06 10:06 PM) Reply
Mini, Thank you for your very speedy reply! You are really on top of things to get back to me so quickly! I will apply your suggestions tomorrow morning as I am anxious to make more cowls tops for fall. I would like to consult with you on a few other LH pattern questions if you would be willing... I have read so many reviews and you really seem to have expert sewing knowledge as well as the ability to explain your thoughts very well! Thank you again!
Mini said... (8/25/06 8:00 PM) Reply
CAgirl, I don't think you can shorten the shoulder seam on a finished top without taking it apart. If you want to change the pattern to shorten the shoulder seam for next time, there are a couple of different ways to go. I will tell you the one I think is easiest. This top is designed with an extended shoulder, so if you over-fit it will look funny. But to bring down the width a bit you can use a smaller size in the upper part of the garment. I think that works best with this design, as you don't change the shape of the pattern, but just size it down a bit. To decide how wide the finished shoulder should be, you can compare it to other tops or patterns in a similar style that have the fit you like. If you don't have anything to compare, try the cowl top on, and pinch out some width along the shoulder to see how it looks. If you pin a tuck at each shoulder (some people have assymetrical shoulders ) and it looks good, then you can measure the shoulder width and compare it to the pattern to see which size will work. For my own Cowl Tops I currently use a M for the shoulder, armhole and sleeve cap, and blend it into an XL for the rest of the pattern. The shoulder still drops a bit, but it is not extreme. To predict how another knit will look, you can compare the amount of stretch with your waffle fabric, and also try draping the fabric over your shoulder to see if it hangs differently. You may find that you use a different size with different knits-but they will all look good:).
CAgirl said... (8/25/06 4:08 PM) Reply
Perfect analysis of this pattern. My first try with this was with a waffle knit and I LOVED it. It looked beautiful. To improve on the fit I would like to shorten the shoulder seam. It extends way beyond my shoulder bone. How do I do this? Also, how can I determine which knits will give me the same type of fit as the waffle? Thank you in advance!
Mini said... (5/6/06 10:11 PM) Reply
Lorna, thanks for your comment. To see all of the reviews by one person, you can click on the person's name at the top of the the review page, opposite the profile box. Most of my reviews were written in the early days of Pattern Review, and some of the photos are not accesable any more (even to me). But some of the reviews still have working photos. Maybe I will update the pictures for reviews of patterns that are still in print...don't know when though:).
lornakismet said... (5/3/06 12:53 PM) Reply
This is such a helpful review! Your observations and notes are very helpful and the depth of your coverage is impressive. I copied your entire review (and the other one on the pants) and pasted them into my personal file of pattern reviews. You amaze me. You should be writing for Threads magazine. How can I see your other reviews and the photos of you in the garments that you have sewn? -LornaKismet (Lorna A.)
Teri said... (9/6/03 11:33 AM) Reply
Thanks Mini. Your honesty is appreciated!
Julia Graham said... (9/6/03 7:46 AM) Reply
Mini, I appreciate your sensible comments about price. There's a certain cachet to LH patterns and the one I've used was great, but I agree with you that KS patterns, at half the price and that nice sturdy paper, can sometimes be adapted pretty satisfactorily. Your reviews help with decision-making for those of us who are tempted but really already own too many patterns! :-)
said... (11/5/02 9:35 AM) Reply
I agree about the fabric! Mini, it's just so beautiful and it looks great on you!
said... (11/4/02 11:33 AM) Reply
I love that fabric. I have to say it looks so good I'm still tempted to order this pattern.
said... (10/31/02 10:07 AM) Reply
Melanie, I had good results with 2804 and Stretch & Sew T-shirt dress and top
said... (10/31/02 10:05 AM) Reply
Melanie, here a several KS patterns that have cowl necklines. They differ in the way the body of the top is styled, and in the fabric recommendations: 2804, 2856, 3036, are for light or medium weight knits. For heavier knits such as fleece or doubleknits, try2817 and 3121. Some of these have been reviewed here, so you can check the pictures and see if you like them. If you just want to have the cowl neck, it can easily be added to any pattern that you fits you well. The cowl on all of thoese patterns is just a fabric tube. THe bottom circumference of the tube matches the neckline circumference of the top. That's all there is to it:). The rest is a matter of preference: how high the cowl is, double or single thickness, how much drape you want in the fabric, etc. You can make some sample tube of scrap fabric and pin them to a favorite t-shirt neckline to test your cowl designs. THe only rule is that the neckline needs to wider and lower that a close-fitting turtle or mock neckline or else the drape of the cowl is lost. The design detail that I liked best on the LH top is the 4" deep hem. It makes a tunic top hang nicely, and you can add it to any knit pattern.
said... (10/31/02 2:11 AM) Reply
Mini, Do you have any pattern numbers for the Kwik Sew version? I have a hard time visualizing from their catalog.
said... (10/30/02 3:24 PM) Reply
Very interesting review, Mini. I'm just about to try my first Hinse Cowl Top, and it will be very interesting to see how it compares to, say, Burda or Kwik Sew.
said... (10/30/02 1:05 PM) Reply
Thanks Mini, I have often wondered if the high end patterns are worth it for the basic pieces.
said... (9/19/02 7:23 PM) Reply
Mini- great top. I just made my first brussels skirt a couple of weeks ago. Great pattern and so quick. Now I know why everyone has 5 or 6!! Sounds like these two would be great in stretch velvel for the holidays.
said... (9/19/02 6:56 PM) Reply
Again another useful review! Thanks, HttpMom
said... (1/22/02 6:51 PM) Reply
Mini, thanks for posting pictures! Your LH garments are great, especially your cat woman sweater :-)
said... (1/8/02 4:40 PM) Reply
I just completed my first one (long version). I usually shy away from long tops because they can sometimes look too "maternity". But this one is SO great. That's what makes this site so wonderful, we end up trying patterns we ordinarily would not!
said... (1/6/02 1:15 PM) Reply
I especially like this top with the Brussels Skirt. In matching fabric it makes an elegant two-piece dress.
said... (1/5/02 11:06 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this Mini - it sounds like another winner so I have ordered it.

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern