Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8594 (Coordinates)

Reviewed by:Tonya

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Coat/Jacket
lisaknitty said... (2/9/10 4:42 PM) Reply
Julia Graham said... (2/22/03 5:37 PM) Reply
Unbelievably impressive and lovely! I agree that Burda + suit + stripes = advanced. Especially for pear shapes -- I'm one too and fitting pants is SO hard. :-( Yours look GREAT!
moushka said... (12/2/02 7:31 PM) Reply
Tonya, I think it's time to up-date your sewing skills to "advanced." Anyone who can cope with a tailored suit from a Burda pattern in a striped fabric definitely gets to call herself an advanced seamstress! Great review, very flattering suit. Bet you'll wow them at the interviews. Good luck and congratulations on your M.D.
Marita Kinnula said... (12/2/02 4:29 AM) Reply
Tonya, your suit is truly fantastic, the top is great, and the fabric looks very good, I have to congratulate you. I never do what they say in the instructions, it's better to get some good books and learn from them, then you just need to read the instructions thru once to see if there is anything special in them, and after that you use your head and do the way that suits you best. It's great!!!!:-)
Tonya said... (12/1/02 11:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for the comments all. :)

Yep, I like that dart too, but it's intimidating at first, cherry. You're right on the great shaping it creates though.

Alana, the Nebraska website said to line up your pattern pieces so that center front and center back are on a stripe. I didn't even notice that the top and the pants matched stripes - I'm assuming that was a result of putting every CF/CB on a stripe. Either that or I'm just twisted the right way, hehe.

cherry said... (12/1/02 4:59 PM) Reply
Good job, it looks most professional. I've made this one too, and found it to be extremely close-fitting. After measuring the pattern pieces I went up one size in the jacket and two in the pants. I can only imagine that Burda used a summer-weight suiting with a lot of lycra for it's sample. The pattern instruction you describe - interfacing the hems and so on, are standard for Burda tailored items. I personally liked the second dart running into the pocket, this is a menswear technique, and gives beautiful supple shaping, though I agree it can be a real pain to sew. I aways have to thread-baste all the markings.
Rustybobn said... (12/1/02 1:43 PM) Reply
Nice Suit, Tonya!
Alana Robson said... (12/1/02 10:29 AM) Reply
It looks fantastic! It was worth every minute you spent on it. And the matching top, how did you get the stripes to line up with the pants? Thanks for your thorough review, I find that none of the pattern companies have good instructions when it comes to a tailored, fitted suit.
Lisa Laree said... (12/1/02 1:13 AM) Reply
Very thorough review, Tonya! Good job!

by: PrettyTall...