Pattern Reviews> No Pattern Used> quilt (anniversary quilt)

Reviewed by:Shannon Gifford

About Shannon Giffordstar
GA USA
Member since: 3/20/02
Posted on:1/3/07 9:40 AM
Last Updated:1/3/07 2:08 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

suzanrossi said... (3/3/07 12:14 PM) Reply
Shannon, this is lovely! I'm just now taking a class from you and thought to look up your profile and some of your reviews. You are one versatile fiber artist!
Shannon Gifford said... (1/6/07 10:04 AM) Reply
Lisa, I used some plain, and some patterned fabric. The program provides a color chart for you to match with fabrics. Some of the fabrics I used worked best when used on the wrong side! Look at this album for a few more photos:http://new.photos.yahoo.com/shannonsews2001/album/576460762382911701
LisaG said... (1/5/07 12:48 PM) Reply
Shannon, I just emailed a pic of your quilt to my husband, and now he's interested in this too. Not only as a gift for my folks, but for his brother and sis-in-law's 25th, which is coming up soon. I would definitely start with a small project, as you suggest. How did you pick fabrics? Were they plain or patterned? (Remember when I said I've never quilted...I wasn't kidding!) Do you have any closeup shots of the quilt to show the types of fabrics you used? Thank you so much for your help.
Avril said... (1/5/07 9:31 AM) Reply
What a labor of love. That is so sweet. I'm sure your parents were overwhelmed.
Deepika said... (1/5/07 9:10 AM) Reply
Wow Shannon, this is super cool.
Shannon Gifford said... (1/4/07 3:20 PM) Reply
Lisa, the program is available at www.mosaicquilt.com (NAYY) And yes, you can do this, even if you've never quilted before. Start with a small project to learn the technique, something with few colors and a small size, like a flower photo or a seashell. It helps to learn the technique first, then you can definitely do the "big one" for a second project. Start collecting fabrics as soon as possible, though, because that is the hardest part of the process.
PVA said... (1/4/07 11:21 AM) Reply
Ohmygosh -- I'm speechless! (Well, almost.) Shannon, I can only echo all of the above. You don't review very often, but when you do you really knock the socks off! Thank you so much for sharing what is a truly inspirational moment in your life!
LisaG said... (1/4/07 10:19 AM) Reply
Shannon, this is GORGEOUS! I do not quilt at all, but I am now tempted to learn before my parents' 50th anniversary. I have three years...think I can do it? Is it beginner-friendly? Also, where did you get the software? You did an amazing job.
krystalkaes said... (1/4/07 9:48 AM) Reply
Did your parents cry? And thank you for the "technique" of enlisting your family. I have done this on many occasion. It is a beautiful quilt.
Mufffet said... (1/4/07 9:44 AM) Reply
Lovely Shannon! That was a lot of work too, and it is beautiful. Very special gift.
ryan's mom said... (1/4/07 6:54 AM) Reply
Shannon, that is awesome!!! My mom and dad will be celebrating their 50th this September so this is a great idea! :)
Stacy Sews said... (1/3/07 9:50 PM) Reply
That is an amazing piece of work!!!!!!
Rhoda K said... (1/3/07 9:41 PM) Reply
Just beautiful and what a treasure for them. A great photo, too!
slanden99 said... (1/3/07 6:15 PM) Reply
Amazing!
SewPaula said... (1/3/07 5:02 PM) Reply
That is beautiful! What a loving tribute to your parents!
touran said... (1/3/07 4:43 PM) Reply
That is incredible. The quantity of different fabrics that you used must help in the definition of the image. Very beautiful.
Irene Q said... (1/3/07 4:24 PM) Reply
Wow!! I'm stunned that this was so easy, although the fusible grid is certainly faster than sewing all the individual pieces. Fantastic job and thanks for the review!
Shannon Gifford said... (1/3/07 3:59 PM) Reply
Yes, I did it in five days....but remember, I had some help. The kids were enlisted to position the fabrics; dd #2 clipped the intersections for me. We worked about 3 hours per day. It helps to divide the whole piece into manageable sections, and work on them a bit at a time...but then, it also helps to make the quilt smaller:)LOL
Melody said... (1/3/07 3:25 PM) Reply
WHOA! That is an absolutely amazing piece. What a wonderful gift.
mistrydesigns said... (1/3/07 3:11 PM) Reply
I am inspired! Truly amazing! Thank you for sharing this with us.
Skye said... (1/3/07 2:53 PM) Reply
Fantastic
CarolynGM said... (1/3/07 2:49 PM) Reply
You made that in five days? Did you sleep at all? What an amazing project and your parents look so happy standing in front of it.
SueV said... (1/3/07 2:10 PM) Reply
wonderful! I made one of these too using my mother's high school graduation photo. Wasn't it fun to make! Congratulations to your parents!
Debbie Cook said... (1/3/07 1:25 PM) Reply
Wow! That's a true work of art and love. Thanks to Leslie also for the correct photo link to see your parents. Great photo!
Leslie in Austin said... (1/3/07 1:14 PM) Reply
OMG, Shannon. That is amazing. What a special gift. The photo of your parents made me all weepy. They're a lovely couple.
Linda E. said... (1/3/07 12:46 PM) Reply
wow.. that is stunning..
Peggy L said... (1/3/07 11:58 AM) Reply
Stunning! I'm sure it was the talk of the party. Oh, i got to see your parents. They look so happy!
BeckyW said... (1/3/07 11:44 AM) Reply
That is unbelievable!! What a great gift.
dreamdesigner said... (1/3/07 10:49 AM) Reply
WOW! Someone just won a quilt contest using this technique -- she made a picture of her father. I'm sure it would take me a LOT longer time than it did you. Your results look fabulous. The picture of you parents in front of the quilt isn't coming thru, and I'd love to see that one just for a perspective point of view.
Princess Jenny said... (1/3/07 10:45 AM) Reply
WOW! Incredibly lovely. :) I am inspired.
Shannon Gifford said... (1/3/07 9:41 AM) Reply
Well, the photo link doesn't work. I'm headed out for a bit (and I'm late:)), but I'll fix it when I get back.

by: knitmachin...

Pauline Alice Ninot jacket

by: rosiewedne...

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Petite Plus D202 DVD

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)