Pattern Reviews> Folkwear> Paris Promenade Dress261 (Paris Promenade Dress)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:1/5/07 7:48 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 7 people

miausiau said... (8/8/12 6:05 PM) Reply
I have one of these and if you tie it in the front and back instead of the sides you get a fabulous 20's flapper effect. I too have the older version, and it has 2 sets of attached sashes.
Alison Cummins said... (4/5/10 10:07 PM) Reply
Ann, I would love to see your dress, but your flickr links seem to be gone. Would it be possible to update again?
mmcp said... (7/9/09 6:37 PM) Reply
Just a note about the part at the top--if you made this dress many years ago, you probably made the orginal pattern which was produced under license from the Met. Museum. At some point Folkwear went under or something, and Taunton bought them--I don't remember the whole saga, but they lost the permissions for the Met dresses. They altered this pattern just enough to say it wasn't the same. It was not improved.
orodwen said... (2/19/08 1:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I am wondering if you could update the photo links since they no longer work? Also, I have gained weight since buying this pattern and that is why I am curious about how it appears. Again, thanks!
missy d said... (1/7/07 4:58 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for digging this one out! I have the pattern and I'm thrilled to see one made.
Sharon M said... (1/6/07 12:57 PM) Reply
I always loved that Folkwear pattern but never got around to sewing it up. It is a lovely version that you made, I can see why you kept it. Beautiful use of the fabric.
GorgeousFabrics said... (1/6/07 10:42 AM) Reply
What a cool dress! Great canvas for your fabric.
cecelia said... (1/6/07 10:27 AM) Reply
Ann, I think the dress is beautiful. I too will give you my address if you want to get rid of it!
carolynw said... (1/6/07 10:15 AM) Reply
Much as you may think it is not flattering with the extra weight I have to disagree - it looks fine. The fabric is beautiful so maybe if you really don't want to wear the dress now you can re-cycle? If my geography is right you do have pretty warm summers so this would be a cool thing to wear then? Anyway Ann if you really don't want it I will send you my address and pay postage too LOL. Nice to have this review.
blue mooney said... (1/6/07 7:42 AM) Reply
I'm so glad you posted this! I'd love to see other people's adventures with Folkwear - then maybe I'd make some of my patterns up! Hang on to this one - you may still have occasion to wear it, and it still looks nice.
Enid E said... (1/5/07 10:55 PM) Reply
well, Ann, I think it still looks quite lovely on you. I think I would love this dress and would feel comfortable wearing it.
PhyllisC said... (1/5/07 9:35 PM) Reply
I like it Ann - it's a great summer beach dress.
Lhan said... (1/5/07 9:23 PM) Reply
I really like this! I am always a sucker for dramatic fabrics, and I think this is a great use of it. You could easily have made it today, even though large dresses are not strictly fashionable. I think touran's idea of an evening beach style is perfect. It would suit Sydney at the moment, in the rayon you used. Thanks for the review Ann - always a pleasure to read yours.
AMarie said... (1/5/07 9:07 PM) Reply
I've been wanting to sew this dress for a long time. If I ever get to it, I'll post my pics. Thanks for sharing your pictures of the finished product.
touran said... (1/5/07 8:41 PM) Reply
Thank you so much for bringing this out. I think it'd be a perfect dress for a beach lifestyle, in the evenings. It's still very pretty on you.
Susan R said... (1/5/07 8:16 PM) Reply
Well, I think this looks great on you! Love the fabric.
Lorna C. Newman said... (1/5/07 7:50 PM) Reply
Thanks for posting this, Ann. I wonder if there is anything you can do to cut it back and salvage the fabric?

Other My Childhood Treasures

by: HOWsMom

Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)

Sew Chic MyrtleWood Dress Pattern (ln7401)

Christine Jonson Swirl Skirt & Ruffle Top