Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 4598 (The Perfect Fitting Jacket)

Reviewed by:Karen8320

About Karen8320star
Member since: 3/14/04
Posted on:1/6/07 7:33 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Other Projects by Karen8320 using this Pattern

AnneM said... (1/7/07 9:48 AM) Reply
Excellent jacket.
blue mooney said... (1/7/07 8:46 AM) Reply
Beautiful workmanship and a classic jacket! I prefer the single-button closures, too.
PixieCat said... (1/7/07 7:10 AM) Reply
Your jacket is gorgeous! I just finished this pattern too and it's a winner.
sewbehind said... (1/6/07 9:10 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket, Karen. It looks great on you.
Lhan said... (1/6/07 8:02 PM) Reply
I want to know how you have time to do such beautiful (and time-consuming) sewing while doing a PhD! Or is it, as it was for me, the ultimate procrastination?!? This jacket looks beautiful, in fact much better on you than on the pattern, which looks clunky and old-fashioned. Yours doesn't at all. Thanks so much for the advice about welt pockets - I too avoid them like the plague. Nice to know where I can find good advice.
Heatherrique said... (1/6/07 1:42 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket! Gorgeous model also! I enjoy your interpretation better than what are on the envelope!
Puddin Pop said... (1/6/07 11:06 AM) Reply
Karen, This jacket is beautiful. You did a fabulous job and the material is gorgeous. I will have to try this pattern for the welt pocket technique. You inspire me.
Sherril Miller said... (1/6/07 10:53 AM) Reply
That's a very nice jacket. Lucky you to get great fit right out of the envelope. This pattern looks as if it could be dressed up or down. Thanks for the review.
DoggyGirl said... (1/6/07 10:49 AM) Reply
Great jacket and great review. I've been wondering how useful these adjustable patterns are - I've been shying away from them because of the potential information overload factor. Looks like this one is worth it!
cecelia said... (1/6/07 10:39 AM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket and lovely material. It looks like it cost a bundle from a high end store. Nice job.
Deb Thompson said... (1/6/07 10:00 AM) Reply
This is a beautiful jacket that will serve you well - what a great wardrobe staple. Your fit is perfect and I really like the material. I'm so happy you mentioned the welt pocket instructions as I have been intimidated to try them thus far in my sewing career! Great review - can't wait to see the same jacket on you only in a different color and fabric!!
carolynw said... (1/6/07 9:58 AM) Reply
I really like this look!! This jacket can be so adaptable -looks cool with your jeans but I bet it would go to a more dressy event and look just as good!!
Re Becca said... (1/6/07 9:38 AM) Reply
That looks really sharp, esp. the crisp welt pockets. I too like the longer length, and I may have to che out these "no-fail" welt pocket!
Karla Kizer said... (1/6/07 9:20 AM) Reply
Why have I not noticed that jacket pattern? It's brilliant - all the features I love: princess seams, long narrow single button front (so slimming) and longer length. Your fabric is lovely and will turn any separates into an outfit. Thanks for your review!
christine A said... (1/6/07 9:09 AM) Reply
Wonderful stunning jacket! Thank you for the great review. I love the longer jackets too as I am tall.
Sewliz said... (1/6/07 8:49 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! I have been thinking about how much I like the longer jackets wondering if it would be too 1990's to wear now. I am tall and pear shaped too and the shrunken short jacket look is not a good look for me. Your jacket is stylish and far from old fashioned, thanks for answering my question. Amazing pattern for McCall but then I see it is one of their Palmer Pletsch patterns. Those ladies know their stuff.
JuliaS said... (1/6/07 8:24 AM) Reply
Wow, this is so classic and beautiful.
MarilynB said... (1/6/07 8:18 AM) Reply
Your jacket is just lovely. It's a classic that will serve you well. I have also found the Palmer/Pletsch welt pocket method to be very successful. It may take extra steps, but if you follow it exactly, the results are certainly worth the effort.

Take-Along Bags Paper Pattern

Take-Along Bags Paper Pattern

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)

Sew Chic The Tia Dress Pattern (ln1312)