Online Sewing Class: Leather 101

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8332 Devine Details (Reversible Jacket)

Reviewed by:SueV

About SueVstarstarstarstar
United States
Member since: 1/29/04
Posted on:1/6/07 1:37 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
CarolynGM said... (11/18/07 6:25 AM) Reply
I really wish I could see your jacket, but I get a "page reached in error" on all of your links. The pattern looks intriguing.
viv rowett said... (11/18/07 5:11 AM) Reply
Useful; I find the pattern confusing - I haven't used it yet - but on the packet it says: Fabric, chiffon/ crepe de chine; contrast 1: panne velvet & charmeuse; contrast 2: lightweight tweed & wool crepe. But when you look at the cutting layout, it shows 'contrast 2' as being the one you cut the bias binding from, which must surely be the very fine chiffonny fabric, and this seems to be borne out by the amounts required: contrast 2 needing much more, due to binding. I am not impressed that the company cannot get these details right; does not inspire me to think this pattern is one I can tackle with confidence: how many more mistakes will there be? And which is the fabric which is to be interfaced (section 5 of the instructions) given the ambiguity I outline? I assume it is the chiffon. I think I shall try to produce a simplified non-reversible version, perhaps cut on the cross and with with frayed seam allowances.
Ciclista said... (1/7/07 10:38 PM) Reply
I'm glad you followed your vision - it's a beautiful jacket! No pain - no gain...
OP Gal said... (1/7/07 7:24 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Too bad you had such trouble with it.
Avril said... (1/7/07 8:46 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, it was very helpful... I'm thinking about using this for my Timmels SWAP.
blue mooney said... (1/7/07 8:42 AM) Reply
I have this pattern, so thanks for your insights! I love your fabric and understand why it gave you a vision that had to be followed.
Peggy L said... (1/7/07 8:13 AM) Reply
Great review and nice looking jacket. I think we have all done that - fabric not quite suitable but great learning experience.
Cheryl Reeves said... (1/7/07 2:07 AM) Reply
I think your jacket looks very pretty.
Stacy Sews said... (1/6/07 7:30 PM) Reply
Nice looking jacket! I love the fact that it's reversible! thanks for the great review.
Sharon M said... (1/6/07 7:06 PM) Reply
Somehow I missed that this jacket pattern was reversible. I like your jacket and your review is very helpful. Thanks!
VtMartha said... (1/6/07 5:37 PM) Reply
A very nice looking jacket!
lmg said... (1/6/07 5:21 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review! It looks lovely and a whole lot of work.
carolynw said... (1/6/07 4:54 PM) Reply
Wow!! It looks great - too bad you had aproblem with the fabric but the results are wonderful.
SBanks said... (1/6/07 2:39 PM) Reply
Very nice jacket. At least it looks great! I used to do that with the buttons, too. Now I just sew each side separately, with the buttons offset from each other about 1/16".
Janime said... (1/6/07 2:27 PM) Reply
Love the jacket! I have this jacket in progess too! Thanks for the information on the fabric. I was beginning to have doubts about my fabric choice; I wanted denim on one side and a silk/poly brocade on the other. But lately I've been thinking that the denim would be way too heavy and stiff and that I should change to something more like what the pattern calls for. Your information pretty much confirms that thought. I think the brocade will be OK - I am doing a test garment in a similar weight fabric first just to be sure though. Thanks again for the very helpful information!
Janice C. said... (1/6/07 2:19 PM) Reply
Its a real pain when the fabric and pattern don't match up - but still a very nice looking jacket - what you would call a learning experience ! - thank you for the review.

by: Sheila457