Pattern Reviews> Fashion Sewing Group> 1963 (Coat)

Reviewed by:JanetSun

About JanetSun

Posted on:12/8/02 1:54 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
JanetSun said... (12/9/02 11:08 PM) Reply
Lisa, I didn't alter this pattern at all the first time through. I sewed a size twelve which is at the larger end of my size for NE patterns, 1945 fits better in a 10 letting out at the hip. The beauty of sewing a coat is that the fitting is much less fussy. For my Alpaca coat I am working on now I tried adding 1 1/2 " walking ease to the fronts since I am making it longer and the fabric is stiffer. I found the hood did not work in this fabric because it does not drape enough _ I look like I should be making toys at the North Pole. Last night I took it off and put on the collar which looks nice. I guess I should edit my review but I'm not sure how to do that. I like Sabrina have been not reviewing until I could post pics, but I decided to just go for it and maybe the camera will come!
Lisa G said... (12/9/02 5:14 PM) Reply
I just read your profile about your usual pattern modifications...i don't need you to repeat the information again here, but did you alter this pattern much?
Lisa G said... (12/9/02 5:10 PM) Reply
Janet, I am curious to know what your normal pattern adjustments are? Did you have to make any adjustments to this pattern? If so, which ones?
Gigi Louis said... (12/8/02 6:23 PM) Reply
I recently acquired this pattern. Even though I live in Florida I thought I would make up a short one in a thinner wool as a kind of "toss over anything" car coat/jacket when it's cool at night. Making a coat can be kind of intimidating to those of us who've never done it (and why is that? It's just a longer jacket) - thanks for your encouraging review. :-)
Lisette said... (12/8/02 4:12 PM) Reply
I also make this coat as my first coat. I love the classic look. I made the patch pockets, being a beginner I was intimidated by the welt pockets. I am waiting to take a picture to write my review!I look forward to seeing yours.

All About Linings