Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5278 (Misses' Jacket w/ Shawl Collar)

Reviewed by:Dr. Alice

About Dr. Alicestar
Member since: 1/5/04
Skill level:Beginner
Posted on:1/20/07 3:38 PM
Last Updated:1/20/07 3:41 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 11 people

Katharine in BXL said... (2/10/07 4:06 AM) Reply
That is one sharp jacket on you! I can't believe it's jacket #2. From here in Belgium I can't see the fabric is cheap (consolation?)
SewTwin said... (1/29/07 1:15 AM) Reply
You did great if this is only your 2nd jacket!The jacket looks better than most Nieman's I've seen.Probably fits better than RTW,too. I think you actually made inexpensive fabric look expensive.Isn't that what some designers do?
AnneM said... (1/28/07 8:24 PM) Reply
Great top, what a nice style. Good fabric is worth using (although your jacket certainly looks nice in the pictures).
nicegirl said... (1/22/07 4:46 PM) Reply
I really like that style! And the color! Good job.
BeckyC said... (1/21/07 10:14 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks fabulous on you! You did a wonderful job! If you can bag a lining and realize you need extra length for movement, you'll be able to master bound buttonholes in a snap! Great review.
krystalkaes said... (1/21/07 8:25 AM) Reply
Nice jacket and beautiful smile.
PixieCat said... (1/21/07 5:46 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket and such a flattering style on you! Nice job.
Tany said... (1/21/07 4:46 AM) Reply
I love it! Very well done on your second jacket!
Nancywin said... (1/21/07 2:31 AM) Reply
Very nice,and does not look cheap in the pics. I think I see what you're talking about in the collar though. Sometimes using a higher end interfacing CAN make a "cheap fabric look expensive" ;-) Nice review - and nice jacket!
quiltsammon said... (1/21/07 1:54 AM) Reply
Beautiful!! Good job!
Patzee said... (1/21/07 1:40 AM) Reply
I think you have progressed beyond beginner. I know this because I am a beginner!
tweedcurtain said... (1/21/07 1:34 AM) Reply
I agree wtih Karla - yours is MUCH nicer than the pattern envelope. Well done!
Helen near Sydney said... (1/21/07 1:01 AM) Reply
Dr. Alice, you must be thrilled with your jacket, it looks absolutely beautiful and the fabric not at all 'cheap'. I think some hand stitching around the collar, the way you see in high-end menswear would also look good.
Karla Kizer said... (1/20/07 8:12 PM) Reply
I think it looks great - and that McCalls would be wise to substitute your version for theirs on the pattern envelope. Good job!
Sew4Fun said... (1/20/07 7:53 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket. The collar suits you.
Erica B. said... (1/20/07 7:41 PM) Reply
I think the jacket looks great and and the pink lining was a great touch.
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (1/20/07 6:25 PM) Reply
Very chic, nice all around.
suzanrossi said... (1/20/07 5:45 PM) Reply
The jacket is lovely and you look great in it. You've done a nice job! You know, other people hardly ever see the "flaws" we see in our sewing. Most people wouldn't even look twice at a buttonhole, for instance. (By the way, yours look just fine from where I'm sitting)
Jacqui315 said... (1/20/07 5:34 PM) Reply
I have been looking at this pattern. I like it a lot - it has a flattering style.
Re Becca said... (1/20/07 5:24 PM) Reply
I don't think that it looks cheap either. From here it just looks like you got a good deal on a nice jacket. I think that the sewn buttonholes look fine as well. The fabric lays well and apears to have pressed well.
Linda G said... (1/20/07 5:10 PM) Reply
It does not look cheap in the pictures.
LauraTS said... (1/20/07 4:36 PM) Reply
This shape looks great on you; very pretty.
LornaJay said... (1/20/07 4:13 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket - it really seems to suit you.
jnamcd said... (1/20/07 4:09 PM) Reply
Nice job! I love the pink lining!!