Pattern Reviews> Suitability> 2900 (Riding Vest, Tights, Sweatpant)

Reviewed by:AnnieInNYC

About AnnieInNYCstar
NY USA
Member since: 9/19/06
Posted on:9/11/08 3:09 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
PrairieTides said... (11/5/08 1:24 PM) Reply
Very nice! I've made several riding tights out of this pattern because I can't stand to pay the prices to buy tights. And they are more comfortable than breeches.
VtMartha said... (9/13/08 9:41 AM) Reply
I love this pattern and yours look great. I have made numerous pairs in stretch polarfleece of various colors. I wear slick over pants around the barn to keep them separate from the hay. My ultrasuede patches are the first part to go but I just end up patching the patches. I wear them off my horse too.
AnnieInNYC said... (9/12/08 12:27 PM) Reply
Sorry, duplicate posted.
AnnieInNYC said... (9/12/08 12:26 PM) Reply
Ellle D: We'll see about the sturdiness of the ultrasuede. My sister's RTW tights have ultrasuede patches, but the ultrasuede I got seems a bit lighter weight. I almost purchased real suede, but was told it wasn't washable. Clarino sounds like possible alternative, if I can find a source. Is the deerskin you have washable? Thanks for the suggestion of Seattle Fabrics. I had actually checked them out, and the fabric looks great, but colors are very limited. My sister thinks her horse looks good in jewel tones, so I was going for a teal, or dark rose, or deep royal or purple, nearly impossible to find in a heavy cotton/lycra.
Elle D said... (9/12/08 11:32 AM) Reply
I can't remember if I have this pattern, but if not I must immediately order it. This would be great for schooling tights, which my daughter and I need. You're right about the cost, full seat schooling tights made with crappy polyster (but nice full seat clarino type material -- important) cost $100 and way up. Something to do with the sinking value of the US$. I made their hunt jacket and the instructions were incredibly detailed. A tailoring course in itself. As for fabric, try www.seattlefabrics.com, they have a link for equestrian fabric. Not cheap, but the fabric is 4-way stretch which is nice. I'll be interested in how the ultrasuede patches work for you. Are they tough enough to stand up to the wear and tear of riding? I ordered deerskin to make full seat breeches but haven't worked up the courage to cut into them yet. There are links on the Suitability website to places to order fabrics, etc. That's how I found out about SeattleFabrics.com.
AnnieInNYC said... (9/12/08 11:27 AM) Reply
Kim, sorry, the second link under "Pattern Photo" now works. I can't seem to change the first one. I think it is being filled in automatically by PR, and I can't edit or delete it.
kim*brown said... (9/12/08 10:02 AM) Reply
I'd like to see the pattern.
AnnieInNYC said... (9/12/08 9:26 AM) Reply
Thanks everyone for the nice comments, and AnneM and Yorkshire Lass, thanks for the suggestion of Emma One Sock for fabric. I will check it out. Marec: I hadn't though about embellishments on a plain fabric. That's a great idea!
yorkshire lass said... (9/12/08 3:21 AM) Reply
These look lovely. Emma One Sock often has 14 oz Rayon Lycra jersey if that would work instead of the cotton lycra. She mostly has it in stock. I haven't tried the 14oz but can vouch for the quality of the 11oz. She sends out decent sized swatches too and she is very helpful if you contact her with a query.
marec said... (9/12/08 0:47 AM) Reply
Those are great! You have motivated me to make some new tights. I love these so much more than breeches because they are so much more comfortable. You said you are having trouble finding fun colors...my fave pairs are black with wild stripe inserts down the outside. I even have helmet covers to match but found that just waaaay too much style for the trail.
AnneM said... (9/11/08 7:48 PM) Reply
Those look very good. I seem to remember seeing some appropriate fabric at Emma One Sock, but I might be mis-remembering.
Mufffet said... (9/11/08 5:00 PM) Reply
WOW..great job. They do look professional!
sewtime said... (9/11/08 3:59 PM) Reply
Wow! They look great!
snaffles said... (9/11/08 3:22 PM) Reply
These look great. I have this pattern, but haven't made it because of the difficulty finding good fabric.
CharityAK said... (9/11/08 3:10 PM) Reply
Well I'm impressed. Not often you see someone tackling this specific of an item. Good for you! You won't catch me near a horse, but if I had to, I'd wear these in a heartbeat (okay...I'd wear them if I was a gazillion pounds lighter)

More Knits