Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Neue Mode> 23304 (Avantegarde blouse/jacket)

Reviewed by:ryankckids

About ryankckidsstar
Member since: 1/3/06
Posted on:1/27/07 8:25 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 26 people

PhyllisC said... (2/2/07 5:47 PM) Reply
I love this pattern - I think it would be killer in leather.
ryankckids said... (2/2/07 10:31 AM) Reply
SewTwin - I'm not sure what you mean by "serged the seams then left them open". For the 2 versions with "normal" seams, I sewed the seams with a straight stitch, then serged to finish them - like I do with most voven garments. For the 2 versions with exposed seams (the blue-green and the doubleknit, I sewed some seams and the collar wrong sides together, then trimmed the seam allowances to about 1/4-inch. I then actually took a toothbrush to them to make them a little fuzzy. And...there are back darts in the pattern, but they didn't provide nearly enough shaping for my taste and body type. hth (if not, let me know! ;))
SewTwin said... (2/1/07 11:38 PM) Reply
I ***love this review!! Gives me many great ideas..Hope I can post as many as you when I get this pattern.You serged the seams, and left them open?..Apparently the pattern did not have darts in the back at all? They look "very" Designer Stylish!
AnneM said... (2/1/07 12:35 PM) Reply
I knew immediately which pattern this was when I saw your picture. Great style. I like the last version w/ the metal zipper.
otis said... (1/28/07 10:00 PM) Reply
Threads has it in their Pattern Review section of issue #123 March 2006. I thought it may make me look too wide but from your multiple versions I know I'm wrong. Great review. It's nice to see a smiling face wearing something(s) you made!
KiwiWendy said... (1/28/07 8:55 PM) Reply
ohhhh, I've coveted this pattern since it appeared, but haven't been organised enough to buy it online. Great to see it made up as a jacket. Hmmm, maybe I could be doing this
pterion said... (1/28/07 5:50 PM) Reply
Wow, this pattern has been a really workhorse for you! I love all your versions.
lilhoney57 said... (1/28/07 5:26 PM) Reply
i loved this pattern the first time i saw it and all your versions prove i was right! Awesome!
ryankckids said... (1/28/07 4:47 PM) Reply
sew4fun - I just flipped through the Threads I have at home, and can't find it. I also searched their web site, but it didn't come up there, either. I think it was about a year ago.
LiZ said... (1/28/07 3:57 PM) Reply
This is a great pattern. All of your jackets are beautiful. Thanks for a great review.
Kay Y said... (1/28/07 2:00 PM) Reply
Each of your jackets is different and they are all lovely! I have always liked this pattern - thanks for reminding me of it.
cecelia said... (1/28/07 1:37 PM) Reply
Your jackets are so beautiful--I can see why you really like this pattern--the lines are so unusual.
Danvillegirl said... (1/28/07 10:04 AM) Reply
All of your jackets look great!
carolynw said... (1/28/07 9:51 AM) Reply
Wow!! What a great pattern for you - a real TNT. I have one like that from Vogue - works for me every time and the funny thing is no one seems to tie all the versions I have made as being from the one pattern!!
CarolynGM said... (1/28/07 6:58 AM) Reply
Great lines and seaming -- I see why you've made this again and again. I actually like the way the back collar stands up.
KathleenS said... (1/28/07 6:38 AM) Reply
I love the seam details on this jacket! Thanks for the review. It's great seeing all the different versions too.
fuzzygalore said... (1/28/07 4:52 AM) Reply
Wow! I could see you could want to live in this for the next 10 years :-). I think you're being unfair to the back neck though - from the drawing, it's meant to stand up. Clever of them to build in the ways for it to happen even in relatively mushy fabric. But this design looks like it demands that back perkiness.
Tany said... (1/28/07 3:37 AM) Reply
Beautiful!! I really love your jacket! Thank you for reviewing this pattern!
sewbehind said... (1/28/07 0:05 AM) Reply
I really like the lines on this jacket. I would say that you got your money's worth out of this pattern. They all look different.
Cheryl Reeves said... (1/28/07 0:05 AM) Reply
Very beautiful jackets. I loved this in Threads but never ordered it. You did a great job.
jewelea said... (1/27/07 11:32 PM) Reply
Terrific jackets...thanks for bringing this pattern to my notice, too.
Soliel said... (1/27/07 11:07 PM) Reply
Veeeeery AVANT GARDE! *wink*
Avril said... (1/27/07 10:48 PM) Reply
Awesome jacket! Love it.
Mary Stiefer said... (1/27/07 10:39 PM) Reply
Love this. I can see why everyone in your family wants one. Great review, too.
Sharon M said... (1/27/07 10:07 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review - this is a wonderful jacket!
Vonnevo said... (1/27/07 10:06 PM) Reply
Fabulous set of jackets ! I can see why you have made this so many times. O like all of them and now adding the pattern to my wish list. Thanks for reviewing these :))
Sew4Fun said... (1/27/07 9:39 PM) Reply
Lovely, lovely, lovely!! The cream and brown are my favourites. I loved this pattern the minute it came out but I never thought to make it as a jacket. Which Threads magazine was their jacket in?
SansSouci572 said... (1/27/07 9:34 PM) Reply
I love that jacket too. Each time I try to order it, everyone is sold out!
casken said... (1/27/07 9:14 PM) Reply
Wow! great job on your jackets! I have seen this jacket in Threads and loved it then. Thank you for a great review!
Chris Kelly said... (1/27/07 9:11 PM) Reply
Beautiful Jacket! Love it! Thanks for the review.
Lori V said... (1/27/07 9:08 PM) Reply
Fantastic looking jackets.
OP Gal said... (1/27/07 9:03 PM) Reply
Great looking jackets. The seam detail on the front is very attractive, and fits you well, too.
Carolyndh said... (1/27/07 8:54 PM) Reply
Great lines on this jacket! It fits you really well too.
Kristen said... (1/27/07 8:45 PM) Reply
Great jackets!! I have the pattern and have not made it yet - but one version I am picturing is ice blue silk dupionnni with a rhinestone zipper! Thanks for motivating me into making this one

Merchant & Mills Top 64