Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4386 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:Marji

Sweater knit fabrics

deeamb007 said... (4/4/13 1:24 PM) Reply
Excellent
Christine B said... (8/23/10 3:23 PM) Reply
Thanks for the detailed review - I'm about to embark on a sheath dress, converting it from unlined to lined, and your construction methods are exactly what I'm looking for - I'm printing them out and putting them with my pattern for future reference!
cabinbaby said... (1/6/08 10:11 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for this review!! I am about to make Butterick 5147 which is similar (I hope!) to your dress. Thanks so much for the great pictures inside. I was trying to figure out how to make without all the handsewing.
Sewphie said... (10/4/07 8:04 PM) Reply
Dresses are wonderful, and your techniques make a lot of sense. Since you're using the china silk lining as a facing, do you find that it supports the neck and the armsceyes enough without using an additional facing, or do you sandwich a facing in between the lining and the fashion fabric?
Lynngray said... (9/22/07 8:04 PM) Reply
Very nice. I use to wear this style alot also. Looks great on you. I agree Jackie O would be proud Thanks for the great review
BillieJean said... (8/26/07 6:04 AM) Reply
Beautiful dresses, and so classic.
Liana said... (2/1/07 11:06 PM) Reply
Darling dresses, and a great review! Love the floral print, especially.
Debbie Cook said... (2/1/07 10:18 AM) Reply
Beautiful dresses (my fav is the white with the front floral spray), and wonderfully helpful tips for the lining, etc. Very well done!
jewelsfashions said... (2/1/07 9:41 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review! I have started my muslin on a sheath dress from Mc Calls. I will be looking back at this review for hints as I keep proceeding with mine. Thanks.
Kitty Couture said... (2/1/07 8:44 AM) Reply
What a fabulous dress, it fits you perfectly.
Nancy K said... (2/1/07 8:23 AM) Reply
What a wonderful review. That technique is also in Claire Schaeffer's Sewing Secrets book and it really makes a proffessional looking finish as it does on your dresses. Having a good library of sewing books makes sewing so much easier and gets better results. I have always thought that sewing those easy patterns using the patterns instructions ensures a loving hands at home look!
AnneMarie60 said... (2/1/07 8:12 AM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful! Thanks for all of the very helpful info! I have learned a lot from your review.
AnneM said... (2/1/07 7:55 AM) Reply
Great classic style. I like how the pattern gives various sleeve options. I might have to get this. (Love your white print version.)
ryan's mom said... (2/1/07 6:53 AM) Reply
Looks terrific and what a beautiful fit!!!
Larkin said... (2/1/07 0:42 AM) Reply
Marji, thank-you for such a great review. I've got several sheath dresses that I've bought fabric for, but have never tackled. You've inspired me! All 4 are fabulous! I'll come back to this review and the suggestions you make about facings/linings when I finally get there! Congrats!
Erica B. said... (1/31/07 10:50 PM) Reply
Great looking dress Marji!
suzanrossi said... (1/31/07 10:19 PM) Reply
I really enjoyed reading your review - the results are beautiful.
Linda E. said... (1/31/07 10:18 PM) Reply
love the dresses and you review is excellent
lmg said... (1/31/07 9:54 PM) Reply
Thanks for a very informative review. I took have bookmarked this. Beautiful dresses!
hongkongshopper said... (1/31/07 9:10 PM) Reply
Marji, this is fantastic!! I have been doing facings the old fashioned way - I am tempted to leave work this instance and go home and make one up your way. thanks so much. Oh, and your dresses are all lovely :)))
CarolynGM said... (1/31/07 8:16 PM) Reply
Your review is a mini-class on how to make a lined sheath! I've bookmarked it for future reference. I love all of your dresses, but especially the liberty silk.
Sherril Miller said... (1/31/07 7:48 PM) Reply
What a perfect dress. The fit, the details, the fabric, the color. I'm simply green with envy.
blue mooney said... (1/31/07 5:56 PM) Reply
This is a great dress on you, and thanks for a super informative review!
Linda G said... (1/31/07 5:37 PM) Reply
the review was great and educational....the dress is something I wish I had and I just bought a threads pattern similar..now I must sew...instead of looking at the internet to see what everybody else has sewn...so much fun but can really take me away from sewing oh well I really am not running naked!
Riordan said... (1/31/07 5:24 PM) Reply
The fit is wonderful, and the dresses are beautiful. Thanks for the helpful information!
cecelia said... (1/31/07 3:53 PM) Reply
Beautiful dresses, and thanks for the tips and all the photos.
Peggy L said... (1/31/07 3:46 PM) Reply
They are all beautiful! Very helpful review.
Tany said... (1/31/07 3:27 PM) Reply
Perfect, your fit is impecable!
Levone said... (1/31/07 2:27 PM) Reply
Lovely dresses.....I loved all of your versions.
cindy-lou said... (1/31/07 2:18 PM) Reply
Marji-- thanks for the very educational review! I've made lined kids' jumpers this way and the zipper is still a little baffling, but you've given me hope. I will bookmark your page and try this later in the spring!
jjwalker said... (1/31/07 2:10 PM) Reply
I absolutely ADORE the fabrics you used! And the lining looks gorgeous, too. I'm a little JKO obsessed, so of course I love this dress...all you need now is a little pillbox hat and some white kid gloves!
Pinkytoo said... (1/31/07 2:01 PM) Reply
Beautiful fit! Jackie O would be proud.

by: Natasha Jo...