Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 04-2006-128 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:Debbie Cook

About Debbie Cookstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/11/02

Posted on:2/5/07 2:45 PM
Last Updated:2/5/07 2:55 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 38 people
LiZ said... (2/9/07 2:56 PM) Reply
Very flattering jacket and I love the fabric choice.
MelissaB in WA said... (2/8/07 8:15 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! I love the fabric choice too!
Jane S said... (2/7/07 10:41 AM) Reply
Bebbie, not only is that a terrific jacket but you've written another fun and especially informative review. You give me the patience to realize it's just a step by step process, that I can fix things I don't like...and that I can soon tackle a notched collar with ease and grace. bravo!
cecelia said... (2/7/07 8:35 AM) Reply
Wow-what a lovely jacket and a terrific review--just like a sewing travelogue, so fun to read and see all the photos. Thanks, Debbie!
Charlene McGill said... (2/6/07 7:44 PM) Reply
Hi Debbie, I have been following the progress of the jacket on your blog. The jacket look wonderful on you. Thanks for the step-by-step details. Looking forward to you next project. Happy Sewing!!!!
Linda E. said... (2/6/07 8:59 AM) Reply
Very Very Nice jacket love the fabric the style looks really good on you.. And the detail are super.. thanks, for the reveiw and information.
Marji said... (2/6/07 8:45 AM) Reply
Debbie it looks great! Congratulations on a job well done and I applaud you for the perseverence to get through 2 muslins.
Tere Sews said... (2/6/07 8:43 AM) Reply
Great job. I can't wait to pull out that issue and trace the pattern. Burda has really improved the style of their plus patterns. Your jacket looks terrific on you.
2muchfabric said... (2/6/07 7:54 AM) Reply
Fantastic jacket! Thank you so much for reviewing this pattern. Your shared photos and experiences are so helpful. I am inspired by your work.
Lori V said... (2/6/07 7:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, Debbie. Your reviews and pictures are so helpful. The change from before tutu and after was worth all your hard work. Enjoy your jacket.
vwgrant said... (2/6/07 1:05 AM) Reply
Hi Debbie--nice job! I like that you used a print in your construction. I'm making #2 jacket off this pattern, too, (although I haven't gotten to the review stage but you've inspired me! When I get #2 done, I'll post pictures of both!) 20 pattern pieces nearly blew my feeble mind--first time around I forgot to cut a second back peplum and couldn't figure out why they had such a weenie 5/8" hem. I found the cuff construction confusing,too, and the collar construction was a little sparse ( I haven't sewn a lot of lapel collars but there's something to be said for making a complex pattern and turning around and sewing it again. I now can do lapel collars!)
HawkeMorningStar7 said... (2/6/07 0:37 AM) Reply
Fabulous review AND jacket! It turned out super. No wonder you love it. I do too!
PVA said... (2/5/07 11:32 PM) Reply
Loooove the fabric! Actually, I love the finished garment -- you make me want a jeans jacket! It looks wonderful on you, & I'm certain you're going to love wearing it.
Sew4Fun said... (2/5/07 11:14 PM) Reply
Have fun wearing your jacket at the dog park. :)
Em's Summer said... (2/5/07 10:32 PM) Reply
What a wonderful review! Thank you for this very helpful review. It's nice, too, seeing a jeans jacket that is quite elegant! You did a great job!
BeckyC said... (2/5/07 9:58 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket, Debbie! I've had my eye on this jacket since last spring. Thank you for the great review on it.
PatM said... (2/5/07 9:53 PM) Reply
Thank you for the extremely helpful review. DD choose this as her favorite pattern from april BWOF. After reading your review, I will think about making it for the cooler weather.
Cheryl Reeves said... (2/5/07 9:11 PM) Reply
Very lovely jacket, Debbie. It looks wonderful on you. Also, very informative review.
jnamcd said... (2/5/07 9:00 PM) Reply
Your new jacket is awesome! And your review is so thorough! Wonderful job!
Linda G said... (2/5/07 8:18 PM) Reply
Debbie your reviews are always so informative. The jacket is beautiful.
Vonnevo said... (2/5/07 7:28 PM) Reply
Fabulous jacket Debbie! Thank you for sharing it with us and for another excellent review :)))
Carolyndh said... (2/5/07 7:26 PM) Reply
Debbie, Once again, a really awesome BWOF project that you have created! This is a really nice jacket. I can envision that it would be perfect for taking the dogs for a walk in your neighborhood as you stated in your blog today! Very nice.
blue mooney said... (2/5/07 6:52 PM) Reply
Really gorgeous jacket! Thanks so much for the thorough review - in a month or so I'm planning to make one of these, too, so I'll be referring back to this and to your blog.
Kay Y said... (2/5/07 6:42 PM) Reply
You say that is your *first* notched collar? It's hard to believe! Your jacket looks great.
mlt said... (2/5/07 6:41 PM) Reply
lovely as always!
Sherril Miller said... (2/5/07 6:36 PM) Reply
Oh poo. My comment was lost in an internal server error. Debbie, what a huge undertaking this jacket was for you. I'm glad it didn't put you off from Burda WOF. I think it might have done it for me. Now you have one fabulous jacket for end of summer and early spring.
Twinkster said... (2/5/07 6:34 PM) Reply
Stunning jacket. And a thorough review.
OP Gal said... (2/5/07 6:29 PM) Reply
You did it! You finished the famous 17-piece denim jacket. It looks great. I really enjoyed reading about all the changes you made as well as seeing all the pics. (The tutu look sounds so much classier than the Judy Jetson look. I'll have to remember that. ;-) ) Congratulations on a wonderful job.
fuzzygalore said... (2/5/07 6:17 PM) Reply
Wow. You're making even me feel like a denim jacket might be OK :-). And if all reviews were like this, we'd all be making a jacket a week or something :-).
BjP said... (2/5/07 6:16 PM) Reply
Great review and a fabulous jacket. Love it. You get an A-plus for perserverence as well as outcome!
SewPaula said... (2/5/07 6:15 PM) Reply
Very nice! I've been following the birth of this jacket from the beginning and have learned a lot. Great review!
Schnauzer said... (2/5/07 6:04 PM) Reply
Debbie, Your jacket is lovely and a great review as always!
CarolynGM said... (2/5/07 6:01 PM) Reply
I really enjoyed following your progress on your blog, setbacks and all. It turned out fabulous -- great save on tutu elimination. You really should make this again as the fit and shaping are perfect on you.
VtMartha said... (2/5/07 6:01 PM) Reply
I love your jacket!
Puddin Pop said... (2/5/07 5:49 PM) Reply
It is a very nice jacket. I hope you make this again, because you went to so much trouble to get it to fit just right. Maybe a black or even an ivory for summer.
Nancy K said... (2/5/07 5:30 PM) Reply
The jacket looks great! Having a good book to go along with BWOF really makes a difference. It is certainly becomming on you. Enjoy!
Riordan said... (2/5/07 5:29 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket!!! It looks wonderful on you!
Janice C. said... (2/5/07 5:23 PM) Reply
What a fantastic jacket- lots of great garments are seen on this site, but this is a truly memorable one - and a great review too !
Liana said... (2/5/07 5:21 PM) Reply
I've been following this on your blog, and it's great to see it all done. Very nice!
jewelea said... (2/5/07 5:00 PM) Reply
An excellent example of construction and fit.
Tany said... (2/5/07 4:24 PM) Reply
Thank you for a very helpful review! Your jacket looks just perfect!
hongkongshopper said... (2/5/07 4:14 PM) Reply
Great jacket! Your topstitching and notched collar are perfect. Love the fabric too.
KarenP said... (2/5/07 4:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful jacket and very flattering.
Re Becca said... (2/5/07 4:04 PM) Reply
Very good. It looks like it was worth your work. The fabric is beautiful and it does look like you will be able to wear it year round.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (2/5/07 3:58 PM) Reply
What a thorough Review!! A wonderful example for us all to follow. Thank you for your efforts. AND, your jacket is really nice, not only by itself, but also on you!! I love the fabric and colour, too!
Katharine in BXL said... (2/5/07 3:25 PM) Reply
I love it! Hallelujah!
carolynw said... (2/5/07 3:00 PM) Reply
Great review. Your jacket is absolutely beautiful - you should be able to wear it in the Spring with lighter color jeans?
Mary Stiefer said... (2/5/07 2:56 PM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket. Your alteration explanations are always wonderful and the finished product is "to die for". Another job well done.
Donna H said... (2/5/07 2:51 PM) Reply
WOO HOO..I get to leave the first great comment....LOOKS GREAT DEBBIE!! Awesome job. I want one now. :)

by: petro